From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Churches Trying to Find Ways of Helping Hard-Hit Farmers in

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:36:50

Rain-Starved Areas
13-August-1999
99260

    Churches Trying to Find Ways of Helping
    Hard-Hit Farmers in Rain-Starved Areas

    "It is terrible dry here," stoic old-timer allows

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Mike McClung isn't kidding when he says he hopes it rains
on the West Virginia State Fair.

    It usually does, much to the disappointment of the thousands of West
Virginians who swarm into Lewisburg every year with quilts, hogs and
tomatoes in tow, hoping for a ribbon.

    This year, McClung is counting on it.

    It hasn't rained much in Lewisburg since mid-May. For McClung - a
Presbyterian whose grandsons are his family's 10th generation of farmers -
that means he's only gotten 35 bales of hay out of his alfalfa field to
feed his cattle this winter. Normally he gets 800. But pastures in southern
West Virginia, where McClung farms, are so dry and brown - just like those
in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Virginia - that cattle can't munch
the grass. What's more, the corn, soybeans and tomatoes are shriveling up.

    McClung is luckier than most, he says, because he was able to pull 600
bales of clover out of his still-green bits of pasture around Lewisburg. So
he's not pressed to sell off his stock early, like plenty of farmers are
because they have no hope of fattening them up for sale this fall, because
food and water are in such short supply.

    Drought is a problem with no solution. Short of rain, that is.

    Longtime farmers agree with McClung, who says: "It will rain. The
question is when."

    Wells get dug deeper. Hay gets shared. But folks still go under.
Experts in West Virginia are saying things like: It will take the rain from
three inland hurricanes to get West Virginia wet enough to refill the
state's record-low rivers, green-up the pastures for the calves and
replenish the dwindling water table. They predict that 1,000 to 2,000 fewer
farmers will be in the beef and dairy businesses in West Virginia this time
next year.

    Ordinary folks use less drama to make the point. Eightysomething
Presbyterian farmer Virgil Wilson, in tiny Ronceverte, near the state's
border with Virginia, says simply, "It is terrible dry here."

    That's why disaster-relief staff from mainline churches are gathering
on Aug. 26 in New Windsor, Md., at the invitation of the Church of the
Brethren (COB). Not because they have answers. The denomination's emergency
response unit is smack in the middle of the "drought belt,"where water is
being voluntarily rationed and reservoirs keep going lower. But because -
despite years of experience with floods and hurricanes, tornadoes, and the
like - they know that figuring out ways to respond to a drought is so hard.

    "Pastoral care," says native West Virginian Bob Arnold, a longtime
staffer with Church World Service (CWS), the relief arm of the National
Council of Churches in New York City, "is ultimately what the church is
best at. Repair, rebuilding, we can't come in with big money. And we can't
make the kinds of loans that [farmers] need to keep their businesses from
collapsing ...

    "[So, the question is:] What does the church have the capacity to do
with a farm crisis, other than pastoral care?"

    Some ideas under consideration include a small grant water assistance
program to help drill wells, because little public aid is available for the
purpose. It has even been suggested that the church ought to coordinate a
"hay lift" between distant, better-off farmers and those baking in the dry
spots - something like the one run by rail last year by the Disciples of
Christ to parched farms in Florida. It seems that one sure place to begin
is salvaging livestock so that farmers can sell them in October ... but the
question is, How?

     Right now, CWS facilitators and COB staff are talking with farmers and
extension agents about what needs exist ,and how churches may begin to
help. That's not always easy to do, because farmers are notorious for being
fiercely independent and for asking for help for the guy over the next
hill, who is, they say, probably worse off.

    Federal programs kick in to assist farmers economically. But they often
do so with low-interest loans. According to Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Disaster Assistance coordinator Stan Hankins, grants are what they need,
unless they are among the few who have cash resources put aside from the
good years.

    "I am here to tell you, this is very critical," said Stan Noffsinger,
manager of the emergency services ministries unit of the Church of the
Brethren General Board. "What's difficult is that most of us are so
separated from the food chain that we don't see the drought impacting us.
We just go to the grocery store and pick our food off the shelves.

    "But it will."

    The Reverend Judy Weger sees that impact first-hand in her two parishes
in rocky central West Virginia. There, the drought comes on top of record
flooding of just three short years ago, when much of Pendleton County's
topsoil washed into the North Branch of the South Fork of the Potomac
River.  Those rains hit the economies hard in tiny mountain towns like
Circleville and Franklin, where farms are the main source of income for
more than half of the residents. The other half also rely on farm-related
support, if only a family garden.

      "People are selling off what cattle they can't afford to feed, hoping
to have enough money to start over next year," said Weger, noting that more
fortunate families are moving cattle to other pastures higher in the
mountains. "One family was considering selling off one herd in hopes of
making enough to feed the rest. But it rained just in time."

    She paused, then added: "But there's been a cattle truck down at their
place ... and I'm not sure what's happening."

    The Rev. Bob Osborne sees similar stress much further east in what West
Virginians call the state's Panhandle. "People here are really worried
about their wells," he said, noting that watering the yard, washing the car
and even long baths and showers are forbidden for now. "And they're saying
they've never seen it so dry. There's been a few showers in the last two
weeks, but no where near enough to make a difference."

    One parishoner who farms, he said, has totally given up on his corn
crop and is giving his apple harvest a 50 percent shot. "He's given up on
the rest of his crops to keep the apples going," said Osborne, adding that
finding ways to haul water to his orchard is taking up his time now. "But
he's still figuring on taking a pretty big hit."

    At Salem Presbyterian Church outside Lewisburg, the Rev. Bill Dent
tells a slightly more optimistic story, though plenty of his parishoners
are, as he says, "pretty anxious." Just two weeks ago, he could see 20
steers in the field outside the manse window. "There are none now." Dent
said his neighbor sold them off - and was fortunate enough to make an $800
profit.

    "But the pasture is dry," he said. "The pond is at a scummy low level.
He got out at a good time."

    Dent said that the state's been living with a water deficit since last
July - with no normal rain or snowfall. "West Virginia in many places is in
dire straits. I've heard that on the radio as much as from direct contact,"
he said. "I've got one farmer who says to me: `The well hasn't gone dry.
But if it does, I've got a tremendous amount of water to haul.'"

    Noffsinger - who grew up in farm country near Wichita, Kan. - is
sympathetic, and that's why he's pushing denominational relief personnel to
wrack their brains to try to develop viable ministries.

    "In the Dakotas," he said, referring to repeatedly flooded farmers
there, "there's too much water. And here, we don't have any. It is bound to
impact us all ...

    "This is a time for us to be serious about thinking: what should our
response be as a faith community to a shortage of God-given, breath of
life, water?"

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org