From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Support Boycott, Refuse to Meet in South Carolina

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 17 Aug 1999 13:49:45

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 17, 1999

ELCA BISHOPS SUPPORT BOYCOTT, REFUSE TO MEET IN SOUTH CAROLINA
99-CWA-07-JB

     DENVER (ELCA)   Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) supported a call for a boycott on conventions and other
meetings to be held in South Carolina, and agreed not to hold their
spring 2000 meeting in Charleston, S.C.
     The Conference of Bishops represents the 65 synods of the ELCA and
met here Aug. 15-16 prior to the start of the 1999 ELCA Churchwide
Assembly.  The bishops meet for discussion and continuing education at
least twice each year.
     The bishops were considering a meeting in Charleston, but declined
after discussing a   call for a boycott from the National Association
for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).  The call for a boycott
is the result of NAACP unhappiness that one of the flags flown at the
state capitol building in Columbia, S.C., is the flag of the
Confederacy, viewed by many as a symbol of slavery.
     Joining with other groups, the ELCA South Carolina Synod on two
occasions adopted resolutions that the flag be removed, said the Rev.
David A. Donges, bishop.
     "We know as well as anyone that the most powerful images are our
symbols," Donges said. "I lean in the direction that we should support
the boycott."
     Donges, who would have hosted the bishops' meeting, moved that the
Conference of Bishops not meet in South Carolina "as a moral response"
to the flying of the Confederate flag.
     "As a lifelong member of the NAACP, I really appreciate this,"
said the Rev. George P. Mocko, bishop of the ELCA Delaware-Maryland
Synod.
     The Rev. Callon W. Holloway, Jr., bishop of the ELCA Southern Ohio
Synod, said he supported the resolution, but suggested that there may be
occasions when the bishops may want to meet in a specific location where
their voices can be heard, versus not meeting at the site.
     A location for the spring 2000 meeting has not been determined.
     In another discussion, Scott S. Fintzen, associate general counsel
for the ELCA, asked the bishops to think about how their ministries may
be affected by Y2K issues.  He said ELCA units are being asked to
consider the implications of Y2K for their work.
     "There is a chance your ministry may be disrupted in a significant
way," Fintzen said.
For example, Y2K concerns may include disruptions for overseas
missionaries, and travel and hotel problems late in the year and early
in 2000.
     At least 36 of the ELCA's 65 synods responded to a survey on Y2K,
said LaRue Unglabe, director for the ELCA Department for Information
Technology.  Unglabe urged the bishops to "back up" all computer files,
especially as the end of the year approaches.

For information contact: