From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Discuss Concerns about Lutheran-Episcopal Proposal

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 17 Aug 1999 13:50:46

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 17, 1999

ELCA BISHOPS DISCUSS CONCERNS ABOUT LUTHERAN-EPISCOPAL PROPOSAL
99-CWA-05-JB

     DENVER (ELCA)   Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) discussed their concerns for the possibility of a "middle
ground" action that could be embraced by opponents and proponents of a
Lutheran proposal for full communion with The Episcopal Church. After
more than an hour of discussion Aug. 15, they took no formal action.
     The ELCA Conference of Bishops includes the bishops of the 65
synods of the ELCA and the Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop.
They met here Aug. 15-16 prior to the start of the 1999 Churchwide
Assembly.
     Their concerns centered on "Called to Common Mission" (CCM), an
agreement the ELCA is proposing for full communion with the Episcopal
Church. Episcopalians bring to the relationship the "historic
episcopate," a succession of bishops as a sign of unity back to the
earliest days of the Christian church.  The inclusion of the historic
episcopate in the agreement has generated controversy and opposition
among some members of the ELCA.  The ELCA assembly is expected to vote
on the proposal this week.
     In meetings with assembly voting members from Minneapolis and St.
Paul, the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, bishop of the ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod,
said the "vast majority" of the groups were  "in the middle looking for
a way out without hurting a relationship with The Episcopal Church."
     "We are a divided church on this issue," said the Rev. Peter
Rogness, bishop of the ELCA Greater Milwaukee Synod, who said he's
concerned "a large segment" of the church after the vote may question
what has happened to the ELCA.  Rogness suggested the possibility of the
bishops' drafting some sort of  interim proposal that would make
possible greater cooperation between the Episcopal Church and the ELCA.
     "What is an action that proponents and opponents (of CMM) could
embrace?" Rogness asked rhetorically.  "If everything falls short of
two-thirds, I think it would be disastrous."
     A two-thirds vote to approve CCM is required of the 1,039 assembly
voting members.
     The Rev. Lee M. Miller, bishop of the ELCA Upstate New York Synod,
said CCM is not a "church-dividing" issue.
     "It becomes church-dividing if we want it to be church-dividing or
if we allow it to become church-dividing," Miller said. "We must
continue to uphold the mission and unity of this church."
     While saying the church needs to hear all of the possible
arguments on CCM, the Rev. David W. Olson, bishop of the ELCA
Minneapolis Area Synod, said there is unfinished work in the ELCA.
     "We do have 'fault lines' in the ELCA that haven't been
explained," Olson said. "Until we do it, no ecumenical statement will
overcome it."  Olson added that if the church can do practical things in
mission with other Christians, "we should do it."
     "We are at a defining moment in our young communion," said the
Rev. Stephen P. Bouman, bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan New York Synod.
"We have a public responsibility to think about what we will say to the
Anglican community if CCM fails.  We have fought with each other and
used another people of God to do it.  It's shameful."
     The Rev. Richard J. Foss, bishop of the ELCA Eastern North Dakota
Synod, said he believes CCM will fail.  Foss has publicly stated his
opposition to CCM.
     Foss disagreed with suggestions that CCM is dividing the church.
"It may be denominational internal disconnect," he said.  Foss also said
there is "zero chance" of a breakaway church as a result of the
controversy surrounding CCM.
     "People asked me what I would do in Denver," Foss said.  "I told
them I will follow Jesus as best as I know how.  It'll be miraculous if
it (CCM) gets a two-thirds vote."
     Some of the discussions on CCM have become "personal," said the
Rev. Jon S. Enslin, bishop of the ELCA South-Central Synod of Wisconsin.
The personal attacks have "escalated division," he said.
     People should not equate internal harmony in the ELCA with the
unity of the church, said the Rev. Donald H. Maier, bishop of the ELCA
Northwest Washington Synod.  A substitute proposal instead of  CCM may
not help the unity of the church, he added.
     The Rev. Theodore F. Schneider, bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan
Washington, D.C. Synod, and the Rev. Marcus J. Miller, bishop of the
ELCA Northeastern Ohio Synod, both said the assembly needs to make a
decision on CCM versus making no decision.
     "The language that we as leaders use is important," said the Rev.
Floyd M. Schoenhals, bishop of the ELCA Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod. "If we
say the church is divided, that sets a tone.  I would appeal to us to be
thoughtful about the language we use."

For information contact: