From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Hears Bishop Address Legacies for the next Millennium

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 17 Aug 1999 20:06:44

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 17, 1999

ELCA ASSEMBLY HEARS BISHOP ADDRESS LEGACIES FOR THE NEXT MILLENNIUM
99-CWA-11-SH

     DENVER (ELCA) -- Speaking of gifts that have been inherited and the
legacy to be left to the next millennium, the Rev. H. George Anderson,
presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
asked churchwide assembly voting members, "what spiritual legacies can we
bequeath to the future?"
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting Aug. 16-22 here at the Colorado Convention Center.  There
are more than 2,500 people participating, including 1,039 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Hope for a New Century."
     "We do have something to pass on," said Anderson in his report
delivered Aug. 17.  "We have discovered how to come together despite
differences in the church."  He noted mergers of national traditions which
came together to the form the ELCA, a variety of races, nationalities and
cultures which are one in the church, and now are reaching out to other
confessional families.
     In this century, Anderson said, Christians in America inherited
cooperation and are now bequeathing full communion.  In 1960, a most
ambitious ecumenical project began to bring eight Protestant denominations
together.  It has not come to fruition, Anderson said.  Instead, a new
concept, "full communion," has emerged.
     Anderson related how our ecumenical experience has been like
"testing the water."  Two years ago the ELCA entered into full communion
with the Reformed Church in America, the United Church of Christ, and the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
      "This relationship has been qualitatively different from the
friendly contacts we had before.  It is the difference between being
friends and being part of the family," the bishop said.
     At this assembly there are also opportunities for new relationships,
he said.
"By approving full communion with the Moravian and Episcopal churches, we
will expand the family circle to recognize more clearly our other historic
roots in pre-reformation Christianity, Anderson said.  No other church
body has ever had that possibility to link together so many branches of
Christendom.  What a bridge we could be!"
     Anderson said there is joy in noting that this century will end with
a Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification for Lutherans and
Roman Catholics.  A formal signing of the Joint Declaration will take
place Oct. 31 in Augsburg, Germany.
     Viewing the century and its many paradigm shifts, Anderson
considered ways in which the Lutheran church has spread the gospel.
Missionaries, sister congregations and mission support dollars have all
been a part of the church's outreach.  Now we listen to churches around
the world and ask, "How can we help? We inherited enlightenment, we
bequeath accompaniment," he said.
     "We can make one other contribution to the spiritual legacy of this
century," Anderson said, speaking of economic realities.  "This century
inherited rugged individualism; we bequeath a global economy."  What
started with helping needy individuals, and working with orphanages or the
elderly, has grown to joint efforts of community agencies, a commitment
for social ministry, refugee resettlement and World Hunger efforts,
Anderson said.
     Sadly, our generosity and concern have not kept up with the
globalization of the economy, he said. "How do our consumption patterns
contribute to these global problems? What does the Lord require of us in
this situation," he asked.
     Concluding his remarks, Anderson said, "Now it is time for you to
pick up the conversation and decide what we will do with the gifts we have
inherited and what legacy we will leave to the next millennium.  I believe
that the same Spirit we invoke to guide our decisions will also guide the
church as it receives those decisions."

For information contact: