From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Hears about World Hunger and Disaster Appeal

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 18 Aug 1999 12:43:06

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 18, 1999

ELCA ASSEMBLY HEARS ABOUT WORLD HUNGER AND DISASTER APPEAL
99-CWA-16-MR

     DENVER (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
is celebrating the 25th anniversary of its World Hunger Appeal this
year.  About 50 voting members and visitors of the 1999 ELCA Churchwide
Assembly heard about the appeal's anniversary at a hearing here Aug. 17.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 16-22 at the Colorado Convention Center.
There are more than 2,500 people participating, including 1,039 voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Hope for a New Century."
     The purpose of the hearing was to provide information on how
members of the ELCA can renew their commitment to support "generously"
the church's work to combat hunger at home and throughout the world.
Voting members and guests spent time also hearing about the ELCA
Domestic Disaster Response and Lutheran Disaster Response, a ministry of
the ELCA and The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. The 90-minute hearing -- non-legislative in nature -- offered the opportunity for discussion
about hunger and disaster response.
     "The ELCA World Hunger Appeal is the way our church invites itself
to give in support of hunger ministries," said Lita Brusick Johnson,
director for World Hunger and Disaster Appeals, ELCA Division for
Congregational Ministries, Chicago.
     Johnson said there has been much progress in the fight against
hunger.  "In 1974, one out of three individuals were chronically
malnourished.  Today, it is one out of five," she said.  "That's still a
scandal, but which statistic would you prefer?  We can make a
difference, and we are making a difference to end chronic hunger."
     The goal for the 1999 ELCA World Hunger Appeal is to raise $12.6
million.
     Some congregations of the ELCA will mark the appeal's 25th
anniversary by using the number 25 in fund-raising activities throughout
the year, said Johnson.  In addition, members of the church will pray,
conduct "services of recommitment" and plan activities and offerings in
celebration of the appeal during a special 25-day period -- Nov. 1-25,
1999.
     Johnson told the assembly's voting members and visitors at the
hearing that "there are four 'R's in the World Hunger Appeal
anniversary:" remembering, reflecting, reconnecting and recommitting.
     "We remember to give thanks to the church.  We reflect and look at
how far we have come in supporting the appeal.  Congregations must
reconnect and recommit to supporting the appeal, and recommit to prayer
to end hunger in our time," Johnson said.
     "About 73 percent of ELCA World Hunger budget is provided for
hunger relief and development around the world.  It is channeled through
key partners like Lutheran World Relief and the Lutheran World
Federation for their relief and development work," said the Rev. John L.
Halvorson, coordinator for the World Hunger Program, ELCA Division for
Church in Society, Chicago.
     "Twelve percent of the appeal is designated for hunger relief and
development in the United States, and nine percent is provided for
hunger education and advocacy.  For administration, fundraising and
communication, 6.5 percent is allocated," Halvorson said.
     Voting members of the 1999 ELCA Churchwide Assembly will consider
adopting a resolution for the church to increase its awareness of hunger
in the United States and throughout the world, to increase financial
support of the ELCA World Hunger Appeal and Program through regular
contributions and designated gifts, and to thank supporters of the
appeal.
      The ELCA World Hunger Appeal was established at the 1987
Constituting Convention of the ELCA.  Churches that formed the ELCA
launched the appeal in 1974.  Since that time the appeal has raised more
than $200 million.
     "When major disasters strike, the ELCA is there," said the Rev.
Bonnie L. Jensen, executive director of the ELCA Division for Global
Mission, Chicago.
     "ELCA International Disaster Response enables Lutheran World
Relief, the Lutheran World Federation and other ecumenical partners to
respond effectively to many disasters around the world," said Jensen.
She said the ELCA works closely with and channel its funds through
Action by Churches Together, a worldwide network of churches and related
agencies meeting human need through coordinated emergency response.
     The ELCA Domestic Disaster Response responds to the needs of
victims and survivors of major disasters in the United States and
Caribbean, said the Rev. Gilbert B. Furst, director for ELCA Domestic
Disaster Response.  In 1998, the ELCA responded to 30 disasters in the
United States and Caribbean.

For information contact: