From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Celebration Lifts Up Mission and Leadership of Small Churches

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Aug 1999 20:10:25

18-August-1999
99265

    Celebration Lifts Up Mission
    and Leadership of Small Churches

    Little congregations are encouraged to work hard, dream big

    by Evan Silverstein

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - With most of its aging members living on fixed
incomes, and Sunday worship dwindling to 35 congregants at best, the Rev.
Debbie Rundlett was told that the small Port Chester, N.Y., congregation
that she was being called to lead had only a short time to live.

    "The reality was that ministry and witness of the church to which I was
called had all but died. And indeed, I was told by the presbytery that they
expected it to die," Rundlett recently told hundreds of pastors and members
of small congregations gathered here for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s
"Small Church Celebration III."

    When she arrived a decade ago at The Presbyterian Church, the
117-member congregation was operating in the red, and demographics in the
area were documenting a shift away from the Protestant faith. So the former
advertising agent built a ministry based on worship, spiritual formation
and equipping members for ministry.

    "The fact is that I didn't feel called as an angel of death," she said
during the four-day meeting that started on Aug. 7. "I felt called as an
angel of life, because we surprised a lot of people with what we did."

    What Rundlett and her congregants did is spread the gospel to people of
all races and religious backgrounds in their community. The church amended
its name in 1994 to include "All Souls Parish," to better reflect its
openness to everyone. It also began marketing itself as a regional keeper
of the faith, and implemented programs to lure younger members to its pews.

    The campaign paid off. Staunchly refusing to fear change, the
once-floundering congregation has evolved over the past 10 years into a
role model for small Presbyterian churches, renowned for its stability and
its faithfulness in serving its community in Christ. That's the true
calling of any small congregation, according to many who attended the
program at Colorado State University.

    "More than anything we need to help people to share their faith, to
hone their gifts and to discern and heed their call," said Rundlett, who
originally expected to serve only two years as designated pastor of All
Souls Parish/the Presbyterian Church.

       While church growth is always encouraged, it isn't necessarily what
small churches need. More important is their service as healthy providers
of ministry. Chief among the ingredients for success are the development of
strong leaders capable of empowering congregations with mission, and
energetic, innovative outreach to new members.

    "It's okay to be a small church," said Tony Aja, the denomination's
Associate for Immigrant Groups in the USA. "Many immigrant churches, for
example, might be 40, 50, 60 members, but they perform a tremendous service
to their communities. They not only meet spiritual needs, but they meet
social needs, emotional needs and community needs. And they may never grow
to the standard which we have set for ourselves, these large mega-churches,
but they're still very vital for their communities."

    More than 450 people attended the conference on small-church ministry,
exchanging ideas, attending workshops and listening to guest speakers with
experience in ministry with small congregations. On the first night,
small-church representatives from 48 states were among those who waved
flashlights with strands of colored plastic representing the program's
theme, "Connecting Circles of Light."

    Participants journeyed to this college town about 60 miles north of
Denver from blips on the map such as Kenvil, N.J., and Freeport,
Kan.(population 7). There were people from Maine and Rhode Island, South
Dakota and Texas, Illinois and Nebraska. So-called small churches - defined
as congregations with average Sunday worship of 100 participants or fewer -
account for more than 8,000 of the PC(USA)'s 11,300 churches.

    "God must love us, or else why would there be so many of us?" joked the
Rev. Ben McAnally, the opening-night speaker, a retired pastor from Tyler,
Texas, who served in new-church development and church redevelopment.

    For many, he said, the continuity of a small congregation provides a
sense of  "being included, of being loved, of being accepted."

    "We are here because God called us to be here. He has given us a task
to do," McAnally said. "The real strength of the small church is its
connectedness. ... We are part of the whole, and the whole is part of us.
But there's another kind of connectedness that transcends our Presbyterian
understanding of the church. That is, we are connected by being God's
people."

    To make that connection, small churches need committed clergy and lay
leaders to show the way - another major emphasis of the Small Church
Celebration, the denomination's first since 1996, which also featured
singing, square and line dancing, ice cream and even a birthday cake
marking the formation of the PC(USA)'s Small Church Strategy team 10 years
ago.

    "One of our learnings is that unless there's been a call, and the
leadership, we will fail," said Rundlett, who served as the event's
"Connector" of programming. "There have to be individuals who feel called
and a vision for a particular ministry. One of the goals of our session is
to find a way to help people discern and discover their gifts for ministry
and living those ministries."

    Plans for a small-church site on the World Wide Web in the near future
were unveiled during the celebration, which was sponsored by the Small
Church Network Team of the Evangelism and Church Development Program Area,
part of the National Ministries Division. Other speakers included the Rev.
John Fife, pastor of Southside Presbyterian Church in Tucson, Ariz., and
the Rev. Holly Haile Davis, a member of the Shinnecock Tribe in New York,
the first Native American woman to be ordained in the PC(USA). General
Assembly Moderator Freda Gardner spoke on the important role of small
congregations.

    The Rev. Elizabeth Kirkpatrick-Brucken said that it was strategic
thinking, coupled with strong ministry, that enabled tiny First
Presbyterian Church to take root in rural Eminence, Ky., during her first
four years as pastor there.

     "It's a mix," she said. "I think our church needs to have some
strategy to think about, because we've been sitting back too long and not
talking about our faith."

    The aging 45-member congregation is embracing programs meant to draw
kids to the church and help immigrants feel at home there. The "Wild and
Crazy Kids" program gives less fortunate youths a chance to discover the
church - often for the first time - while getting help with their homework.

    "We're very much within our own little world, and these are children
who have parents who cannot read, children of abuse and violence," said
Kirkpatrick-Brucken, who led a youth-in-crisis workshop that examined
ministries to children at risk.

    "How do we reach out to provide to them some stability in a world that
has none? How do you teach them about the faith? How do you teach them that
the church is a safe place, in a world where everything they know tells
them that nothing is safe? " she said. "That's one of the biggest things
we've done."

    Other things the congregation has done to carve a niche in the town of
2,500 include weekly adult Bible studies, language classes for immigrants,
and March of Dimes education classes for Hispanic women.

      Now that it has a permanent pastor for the first time in more than
four years, the Kimball Presbyterian Church in Kimball, Neb., is looking
forward to experimenting with new ways of luring prospective members
through its doors. One effort already under way involves attracting young
people to weekly after-school programs.

    "A lot of people from our church that we don't see on a regular basis
(attend)," said the Rev. Craig zumBrunnen, who will celebrate his one-year
anniversary as pastor next month. "So we're hoping (that) by trying to
reach youth, we can also reach their families.  If you get the kids
involved, hopefully you get their parents involved."

    The church's 100 to 125 members also have made pot luck dinners and
picnics regular events since zumBrunnen's arrival. And the pastor has
jump-started the congregation's newsletter. The church is thinking about
launching an "Invite a Friend" campaign.

    "I'm trying to make myself more visible in the community so that people
all of a sudden match who I am and what church I'm from," zumBrunnen said.
"We're just trying to gear back up with what we can."

    At St. Peter Presbyterian Church, a 116-member African-American
congregation in Fort Worth, Texas,  "we're basically concerned with
reclamation and trying to reach younger persons,"  said the pastor, the
Rev. William Blye.

    Blye, who has been pastor for about eight months, said the congregation
of mostly older people has yet to initiate a specific vision or growth
statement. "We're just trying to be more friendly," he said. "It takes a
while for people to adjust themselves to the idea that they want to have
new people come in."

    Fear of change can be paralyzing.

    "Fully opening our doors has brought tremendous pain, painful changes,"
Rundless said. "... But change is the name of the game, and our growing
pains continue until this day. We struggle to make God's call our ministry
and focus. We still struggle with membership."

    Some worshipers may leave out of fear that "we'll lose the intimacy and
the love that has bound us together - that there's not enough love to go
around," she said, adding:

    "There's always enough love."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org