From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Approves Full Communion with Episcopal Church

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 20 Aug 1999 07:33:37

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 19, 1999

ELCA ASSEMBLY APPROVES FULL COMMUNION WITH EPISCOPAL CHURCH
99-CWA-27-CA

     DENVER (ELCA) -- After 30 years of ecumenical dialogue, and having
narrowly rejected the measure in 1997, the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) approved a proposal for full communion with The
Episcopal Church.
     The proposal, "Called to Common Mission," was endorsed at the
ELCA's assembly here by a vote of 716 to 317, just 27 votes more than
the two-thirds majority needed to approve the measure.  Among other
things, the proposal could make it possible for the ELCA and Episcopal
Church to exchange clergy and commits them to work together on future
mission and service projects.
     In approving the proposal, the ELCA agreed to accept the "historic
episcopate," the concept that those who ordain new pastors are from a
line of bishops stretching back to the earliest days of the church.
     On their side, the Episcopalians have agreed to suspend a 17th
century rule about who can be considered a priest and agreed to accept
the ministries of all current ELCA pastors and bishops.
     The ELCA churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, is meeting Aug. 16-22 at the Colorado Convention Center.
There are more than 2,500 people taking part, including 1,038 voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ Known:
Hope for a New Century."
     Next year the Episcopal General Convention will meet, also in
Denver, to ratify the fellowship proposal.  A similar document was
approved by the Episcopalians, but the Lutherans rejected it by by a
six-vote margin in 1997.
     The matter of the historic episcopate had become the focal point
of debate on the fellowship proposal.  Debates prior to the assembly and
at hearings held here revealed disagreement over this aspect of the
proposal.  While a number of Lutheran churches around the world have the
historic episcopate, it has never been a part of American Lutheran
church life, and numerous voting members of the assembly said they did
not believe the church needed it.
     "This is the wrong way to do the right thing," said Linda
Danielson of the ELCA Southeastern Iowa Synod, who said she favored
fellowship with Episcopalians, but not if the ELCA was required to adopt
this understanding of the episcopate or office of bishop.
     Others argued that full communion was necessary to strengthen the
mission of the church. "We need partners who are across the street from
us," said the Rev. Stephen Bouman, bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan New
York Synod.  "We need your help," he said to the assembly, adding "Give
us our partners."
     The ELCA was formed in 1987 by a merger of three Lutheran church
bodies, some of whom had already experienced previous mergers, blending
various strains of Lutheranism.  Some suspect the document is a way of
providing bishops with more authority in the church, though drafters
assured the assembly that under the agreement this would not be the
case.
     Proponents argued that the measure enables the ELCA to be an
ecumenical "bridge," because in 1997 the 5.2-million-member denomination
also declared full communion with three Reformed church bodies and this
year -- just a few hours before the Episcopal decision -- endorsed full
communion with the Moravian Church in America.
     The Rev. Robert Isakson, bishop of the ELCA New England Synod,
said Lutherans can be "sought out for what we bring to the ecumenical
table."  Since debate over the ministry and the role of bishops has
frequently troubled ecumenical relations, Isakson said, "Lutherans are
uniquely positioned to break this logjam."
     Following the vote, the Rev. David Perry, ecumenical officer of
the Episcopal Church, read a statement from Episcopal Presiding Bishop
Frank T. Griswold which said he received the decision "with rejoicing
and thanksgiving."  Griswold said "the promise of our deepening life
together offers real hope for the broken world. The test of our full
communion will be our faithfulness to the gospel in mission and witness,
in prayer and fellowship at God's altar. We ask the Holy Spirit to lead
us in the days ahead."

For information contact: