From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Faith leading to action focus of national women's seminar

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 20 Aug 1999 14:19:05

August 20, 1999	Contact: Linda Green**(615)742-5470**Nashville, Tenn.
10-71BP{431)

NOTE:  A photo is available for use with this story.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)-Faith leading to action was the hallmark of a
national event that brought 200 United Methodist women together at
Scarritt-Bennett Center Aug. 14-20.

Participants in the seminar, sponsored every four years by the Women's
Division of the church's Board of Global Ministries, examined social issues
throughout the world and devised concrete strategies for addressing them.

"What does the Lord require of you" was the question serving as a backdrop
for the meeting which included Bible study, plenary presentations, workshops
and skill-building sessions.  The women analyzed global issues, particularly
those affecting women, children and youth and  explored positions of the
church, government on those issues. The seminar also offered opportunities
for the women to explore approaches to action and advocacy and to make
personal commitments to ministries of justice and mercy.

In her keynote address, Women's Division president Sara Shingler offered
insights for the common journey of all women.   "It is important to remember
that we are all God's children (and) we all have God's power available to
us," she said. "What we share in common is the uniqueness of each person."

As the Spartanburg, S.C. native championed justice and mercy, she reminded
the women that the apostles sold their possessions and goods and distributed
the proceeds to anyone having a need.

During the event, participants shared illustrative stories about how
transformation and faith led to their activism.

The women sharing their journeys toward social action asked not to be
identified in the press because of the sensitive nature of their stories.

One participant shared how an early life experience with migrant workers
prompted her to help the needy.  "My eyes were opened to what was happening
to so many people in the world around me," she said. "This started me on my
journey of knowing that I had to spend my life reaching out to other people
who were in need, wherever they were and whatever their human situation."
Recalling that she had been required to sleep on a bed of hay at a migrant
camp, she said, "it doesn't matter where you sleep, it matters what you are
doing with your life."

One individual told how early transformational experiences had led her to
activism and a long, hard fight for justice in the United Methodist Church.
In the 1960s, she said many friends left the denomination over segregation
issues. "They said why stay in a church that has written into its
constitution segregation but I decided after much prayer to stay in the
church and fight from within. This is what I have done."

She also shared how she had spent much of her life fighting for the rights
and privileges of diaconal ministers in the church. "I feel that as long as
there is the separation in the church between clergy and laity, those people
who are called by God not to a ministry of word and sacrament and order but
to a ministry of love, justice and service have every right to be treated as
equals and not as second class citizens," she declared.

Other women told stories of advocacy in other countries and how their
spiritual awakenings brought about changes in their lives. They noted how
their activism got them into trouble with specific powers but how their
faith led them to continue speaking out against various injustices. "God has
a way of moving you and taking you places you do not want to go," one
participant said.

The women were dispersed throughout the city to gain first-hand experience
with issues such as violence, stereotypes, child abuse and prevention;
children's health and welfare, community and economic development; hate
crimes, immigration, public education, racism, poverty, internet ethics and
the well-being of older women. They visited housing projects, conversed with
government officials and community-based organizers, saw examples of
environmental damage, and shared with those involved in justice ministries.

Seminar leaders included women and men of diverse ethnic and cultural
backgrounds who work in community and social development, social services,
economics and education with the United Nations, the United Methodist Church
and community organizations.

In a session on "making connections," the women considered the link between
causes and consequences related to social issues. In table groups, they were
asked to draw pictures of the primary figures and influences responsible for
the problems affecting people today. They drew examples of the causes and
effects of inequality in education, poverty, and unjust immigration laws.
They also explored how value systems shape organizational policies.

Debra Gerrish, a participant from Juneau, Alaska, has addressed social
issues for more than 20 years.   She said the seminar provided her with an
opportunity to learn skills and network with other women who have the same
interests.

Reflecting on seminar experiences, Gerrish told United Methodist News
Service she was most impressed by a film about a young, homeless boy
expelled by "the system" from school, "the only place giving him hope . . .
I could relate to having hope destroyed and coming to realize that things
get better." A victim of child abuse, she said she knew what the boy in the
film was going through and what he faced in the future. "That boy is going
to have to overcome fear of authority," she said.  "He is going to wonder if
his life would ever be 'normal' again. I overcame."

The National Seminar focused on:
	·	the biblical mandate to social action and the understanding
of God's will for life;
	·	systematic approaches to faith-based organizing and
advocacy;
	·	analyses of global issues currently affecting women,
children and youth, and positions of the church, governments and other
organizational structures;
	·	development of support systems for those committed to social
action; and
	·	ministries of justice and mercy.

The Women's Division is the national policy-making body for the United
Methodist Women organization  which has 25,000 local units. Members raise
more than $20 million a year for programs and projects related to women,
children and youth in the United States and in more than 100 countries
around the world.
	#  #  #

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/