From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Miller Elected Editor of 'The Lutheran'

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 20 Aug 1999 18:49:07

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 20, 1999

MILLER ELECTED EDITOR OF 'THE LUTHERAN'
99-CWA-39-JB

     DENVER (ELCA) -- By an overwhelming vote, the 1999 churchwide
assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America elected the Rev.
David L. Miller, editor of The Lutheran, magazine of the ELCA, Aug. 20.
     Miller was elected by more than 96 percent of the assembly, 900 to
34.  Miller, 46, is currently senior editor of The Lutheran.  He will
assume the editor's job Nov. 1, succeeding the Rev. Edgar R. Trexler,
who is retiring after 34 years with the magazine.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting Aug. 16-22 here at the Colorado Convention Center.
There are more than 2,500 people participating, including 1,038 ELCA
voting members.  The theme for the biennial assembly is "Making Christ
Known: Hope for a New Century."
     In a presentation to the assembly, Miller reviewed some of the
stories he's covered during his 12 years with the magazine.
     "The Lutheran magazine is an answer to prayer," Miller said.  "It
is a telescope helping the church see further, a microscope helping it
see in greater detail."
     "It is my hope that I can continue to help us see and hear each
other and faithfully participate in the life-giving mission of the One
whose love has captured us," he added.
     Trexler, who turns 62 this year, announced in January he would not
seek re-election when his term ends Oct. 31.  In remarks to the assembly
that drew a standing ovation, Trexler noted this is his 17th consecutive
assembly.  He was elected to the editor's post eight times, including
years he served as editor of the magazine for the Lutheran Church in
America, a predecessor church body.
     "I stand before you today as a fortunate man," Trexler said. "For
34 years, this church has asked me to do what I always wanted to do   be
a pastor and journalist with The Lutheran."
     During his tenure as editor, Trexler reported on the church's
social struggles of the 1960s, the ordination of the first woman pastor
in 1970, apartheid in Africa, anguish in the Middle East and the
reopening of China in 1979.  Trexler also wrote about the formation of
the ELCA.
     Trexler called Miller "a trusted man, a good man, and someone who
will serve this church extremely well."
     Miller holds a bachelor's degree from Knox College, Galesburg,
Ill., and a master's of divinity degree from Wartburg Theological
Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa.  His first book, "Friendship With Jesus: A Way
to Pray the Gospel of Mark" is being published by Augsburg Fortress this
year.  Miller is married.  He and his wife, Dixie, have two children,
Aaron, 26, and Rachel, 23.

For information contact: