From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Lesbian and Gay People React to Assembly Action

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 22 Aug 1999 11:54:36

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 22, 1999

LUTHERAN LESBIAN AND GAY PEOPLE REACT TO ASSEMBLY ACTION
99-CWA-61-LJG

     DENVER (ELCA) - "Today's actions by the Churchwide Assembly of the
ELCA in Denver represents a missed opportunity to end discrimination
against gay and lesbian pastors in committed relationships," said the
Rev. Cynthia Witt, president of the Network for Inclusive Vision, San
Diego, one of five national organizations affirming lesbian and gay
Lutherans.  The 1999 Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) declined to change the standards for rostered
ministry.  That vote continues a policy that requires ordained gay and
lesbian clergy to abstain from homosexual sexual relationships.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, met Aug. 16-22 here at the Colorado Convention Center.  There were
more than 2,500 people participating, including 1,038 ELCA voting
members.  The theme for the biennial assembly was "Making Christ Known:
Hope for a New Century."
     "Even though a majority of the voting members did not see fit to
change ELCA policies at this time, we are encouraged that this
discussion and vote occurred," said Jan Bailey, co-chair of Lutherans
Concerned/North America from Richfield, Minn.  "No previous churchwide
assembly has voted on the issue of gay and lesbian clergy."
     "We're sad, a bit discouraged but undaunted," said Emily Eastwood,
Richfield, Minn.   " In our congregation, with 25 percent gay and
lesbian people, it is imperative that one of the pastors be one of their
own.  We want to follow a normal candidacy call process."
     "We want to encourage use of the two ELCA resources offered at the
assembly, particularly that from the ELCA Division for Outreach," said
Bob Gibeling, Lutherans Concerned/North America, Atlanta.  "Grassroots
discussion is very important.  The discussion at assembly was civil,
respectful, not divisive at all.  That was hopeful."
     "For us, our work is 'now'.  The church will move at its own
speed," emphasized Dr. Mari Irwin, co-chair of Lutheran Lesbian and Gay
Ministries. "We are making ministry happen now."
     "We continue to grieve for gay and lesbian clergy and their
families, friends and congregations.  We promise to continue to work
toward the day the ELCA will officially and finally welcome the full
inclusion of gay and lesbians in the congregational life and ordained
ministry of the ELCA," said Witt.
     Eastwood said that voting members needed language that would
regulate sexuality for gay and lesbian people.  "At the same time, how
many seminaries allow non-consecrated relationships between heterosexual
students in their own dorms?"
     "We are sad," said Bailey. "The Churchwide Assembly had an
opportunity to stop the bleeding of our people. I'm grateful for the 170
Reconciled in Christ congregations and the 14 Reconciled in Christ
synods who will at least welcome me as a person, but they need to
welcome my pastor."
     Reconciled in Christ congregations or synods officially have
approved an "Affirmation of Welcome"  to make clearer that all  people
are welcome as full members, regardless of their sexual orientation or
their children's.  Those congregations and synods are listed on a roster
maintained by Lutherans Concerned.
     "Called to Witness," a documentary that features openly gay and
lesbian Lutheran clergy, was previewed at St. Paul Lutheran Church in
Denver on Aug. 21.  "Called to Witness" examines the lives and trials of
three Midwestern pastors, each removed from the official ELCA clergy
roster.  Organizers "hope this documentary, which is aimed at a national
television broadcast, will help Protestantism toward that change," said
a news release from Pam Walton, documentary producer.

For information contact: