From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Targeted by hate group, pastor and congregation respond with prayer

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 23 Aug 1999 13:41:37

Aug. 23, 1999 News media contact: Thomas S.
McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.    10-21-31-71B{434}

NOTE: This may be used as a sidebar to UMNS story number 433.

By Kay Panovec*

WILLOUGHBY, Ohio  (UMNS) -- As members of the Willoughby United Methodist
Church  attended worship, something evil happened in their parking lot.  A
supporter of the National Alliance, a known hate group, placed racist
pamphlets on car windshields.

The same material was later found in the neighborhood in which Willoughby' s
associate pastor DeWayne Smith and his family had recently moved.  Smith,
who is black, was appointed to the predominately white congregation, July 1.
Willoughby is located about 20 miles from Cleveland.

"Am I upset --- yes, but the message the Lord has given me is not to be
afraid and to pray
for those who have such hate in their hearts," Smith said.

Initially, members were stunned, according to Marcia Shettler, chairwoman of
the church's administrative board.  Then they wanted to act. A petition
denouncing racism was circulated among those attending worship services the
next Sunday and members held a prayer vigil for the Smith family and
Willoughby community.

On his way to the prayer meeting, Smith said he asked the Lord to provide
him with
strength and guidance.  As he opened his bible, the pages fell randomly.
Smith peered down at
the scriptures, his prayers were answered as he realized the Bible was
opened to Matthew 5:43
"...Love your enemies."

Smith said he and his family  had experienced tremendous personal support
because of numerous encouraging telephone calls, visits and letters not only
from church members but the entire community. A few days after the racist
materials were distributed, Smith received a loaf of homemade bread  from
the pastor of an Episcopal church in the community.   The note attached said
"We are all part of the one body of Christ..."

Smith said he learned how to deal with racism and intolerance from his
grandfather who had seen his mother sold at a slave auction.  At that
moment, according to Smith, his grandfather vowed to teach his family that
the body may be enslaved but never the spirit or the soul --- they belong to
God.  A believer of nonviolence in word and action, Smith has been asked
what others can do to support him and his family during this time.  "I ask
them to pray," he said. " Pray for justice and peace for all people.  Pray
that we will all be treated with respect and dignity."

# # #
*Panovec is director of communications for the East Ohio Annual Conference
of the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/
newsdesk@umcom.umc.org