From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Social Witness Policy Group Maps Plans for Coming Year

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 24 Aug 1999 20:21:03

24-August-1999
99278

    Social Witness Policy Group Maps Plans for Coming Year

    Committee Discusses How to Reduce Its Workload

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

BOSTON - Admonitions to lighten its workload collided head-on with a slew
of new mandates from the most recent General Assembly as the Advisory
Committee on Social Witness Policy (ACSWP) struggled at its post-Assembly
meeting here to prioritize its work for the coming year.

    After poring over a potential list of more than two dozen potential
subjects for future social policy resolutions or statements, the committee
decided to prepare six statements for next year's 212th General Assembly in
Long Beach, Calif.

    They will be on:

    * Gambling and gaming: mandated by the 1996 General Assembly, the
resolution will "provide scriptural, theological, historical, economic and
sociological background to enable thoughtful Presbyterians to answer for
themselves questions relating to gambling and games of chance as related to
authentic Christian behavior..."

    * Abortion policy monitoring: the 1998 General Assembly directed ACSWP
to "assess the current implementation of the General Assembly's policy on
abortion."  Anti-abortion groups have charged that Assembly entities have
not included recent Assembly statements - most recently a statement by the
1996 Assembly that so-called "partial birth abortions" are "a grave moral
concern" - into the resources on problem pregnancies distributed by the
church.  A six-member monitoring team has been appointed and will hold its
first of two scheduled meeting the first week of November.

    * "Vocation and Work" monitoring: when the 1996 General Assembly
approved "God's Work in Our Hands," a policy statement on Christian notions
of vocation and work, it directed that a final report on implementation of
that policy be presented to the 2000 Assembly.

    * Charitable Choice: welfare reform and cutbacks in social services for
the poor and indigent have placed an increasing burden on churches and
other charitable organizations to provide the "safety net" that undergirds
U.S. society.  The paper will examine the implications of these shifts for
PC(USA) congregations.

    * Police accountability: the 1998 General Assembly instructed ACSWP to
"study the phenomenon of police brutality in communities of color and in
relation to hate crimes.  The committee reviewed the first draft of a paper
written for it by Mary E. Powers of the National Coalition on Police
Accountability and made several suggestions for revisions before the paper
comes back to the fall ACSWP meeting.

    * International trade monitoring: the 1996 General Assembly directed
ACSWP to "monitor the implementation and consequences of the recent
international agreements and mechanisms for expanding world trade - such as
NAFTA and GATT - with special concern for the effects of trade on the poor,
the natural environment, local communities and the distribution of power
among the actors in economic development."  The committee earlier decided
to respond to the mandate through a three-year study period built around
annual topical papers.  The committee reviewed the first of the three
papers, "The Employment Effects of Free Trade and Globalization," by the
Rev. Pharis Harvey, a Methodist minister who is executive director of the
International Labor Rights Fund, and made suggestions for revisions of this
paper before it, too, comes back to the committee in October.

    The committee also heard a progress report on its next major policy
statement on the changing nature of families in contemporary society and
the church's response to it.  The Changing Families Task Force was mandated
by the 1997 General Assembly and charged to "examine the issues of changing
families and changing social structures that support families, particularly
focusing on the effects of these on children."  The policy statement is due
to be presented to the 2002 Assembly.

    Following ACSWP procedures, a prospectus on the task force's work and
request for nominations to the task force was sent to presbyteries in
April.  The 12-member task force has been appointed (see June 25 NEWS
BRIEFS, #99223, p. 5) and its first meeting is scheduled for Sept. 17-19 in
Louisville.

    Referrals from the 1999 General Assembly that will have to be put off
include the monitoring of the PC(USA)'s policies on health care; a policy
on persons with disabilities; a policy on the seriously mentally ill; a
study guide to accompany the recently-enacted resolution on immigrants,
refugees and asylum seekers; a study guide and video to accompany the
recently-enacted policy statement on "Building Community Among Strangers";
a paper on the family farm crisis; a churchwide study on the current status
of women in the church and society; an examination of the privatization of
prisons in the U.S.; a resolution on terrorism and hate groups; and further
work on the church's policies on problem pregnancies and abortion.

    Kathy Lueckert, new deputy executive director of the General Assembly
Council, to whom ACSWP now reports, sympathized with the committee's work
overload.  "The Assembly is like a kid in a candy store."

    She also counseled the committee to "learn to say `no' or at least to
tell future Assemblies, `If you want us to do this, we're going to have to
stop doing that."

    ACSWP member Jan Sharpless of Sacramento, Calif., said responsibility
for the overload lies with both the committee and with congregations and
presbyteries. "Complicated issues require complicated reports and we
sometimes do it (overwork) to ourselves by trying to cover the whole
breadth of some of these issues."  On the other hand, she continued,
"Congregations and presbyteries are sometimes also unaware of a lot of
stuff we do so they ask for things that are already available."

    Ruy Costa, an ACSWP member from Boston, pleaded for more resources.
"We are frustrated by our workload," he said, "but we're also frustrated by
the limitations placed on us by our budget and staffing."

    Fred Davie of New York suggested a more pro-active approach prior to
General Assembly.  "Vetting overtures with presbyteries before they hit
General Assembly is a good way to go and vetting them in light of existing
General Assembly policy is an important educative function," he said.
"Getting an overture passed is an empowering experience, so people go for
it regardless of implications," he added.  "We need to ask ourselves, `How
can we make people feel empowered without repeatedly having to go to
General Assembly with overtures?'"

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org