From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Arthur Lewis Heads Lutheran Theological Center in Atlanta

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 26 Aug 1999 16:50:45

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 26, 1999

ARTHUR LEWIS HEADS LUTHERAN THEOLOGICAL CENTER IN ATLANTA
99-212-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. W. Arthur Lewis, a pastor of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), became director of the
Lutheran Theological Center in Atlanta (LTCA) on July 1.  The center is
part of the Interdenominational Theological Center (ITC), a consortium
of African American seminaries.
     Lewis succeeds the Rev. Richard M. Wallace Jr., who became an
associate professor of pastoral care and counseling at Luther Seminary,
St. Paul, Minn., in July.
     Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia, S.C., and
Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio, offer courses through LTCA.
The center's steering committee members are from across the United
States.  Lewis relates directly to Southern Seminary.  The ELCA has
eight seminaries, including Luther, Southern and Trinity.
     "In cooperation with all the seminaries, Trinity and Southern have
put this mission together to strengthen African American women and men
as they are formed for ministry in predominantly African American
settings, and also for others -- not just African Americans -- who can
study in this culturally rich heritage of African American religion,"
said the Rev. H. Frederick Reisz Jr., Southern Seminary president.
     "It's a new day at the center in Atlanta.  We have the support of
all eight seminaries," said Lewis.  "Early on it was just Southern and
Trinity, but now all eight seminaries will be sending their African
American students and other students who want to work in the inner
city."
     Students at ITC learn from some of the best teachers in preaching,
pastoral care and counseling, said Lewis.  The Lutheran center assists
students who plan to become ELCA pastors as well as others interested in
studying Lutheran church history and the Lutheran Confessions, he said.
     "My job is to do all the things that an academic dean does on a
campus," said Lewis.
     Students from ELCA seminaries may take a year and a half to two
years of classes in Atlanta.  Lutheran seminarians studying to be ELCA
pastors generally take four years of instruction; the third year is a
year of internship.
     "We're very excited about Pastor Lewis becoming director of the
Lutheran Theological Center in Atlanta," said Reisz.  "He has been a
pastor in Atlanta and knows how to connect these students to the various
resources in Atlanta.  He is also familiar with the Interdenominational
Theological Center, which is the largest concentration of African
American seminaries in the world."
     LTCA, through ITC, provides the ELCA with access to theological
education established by traditionally African American churches,
including cooperation with Candler School of Theology at Emory
University in Atlanta, Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Ga., and
Erskine Theological Seminary in Due West, S.C.
     Lewis, 68, was born in Princeton, N.J., and earned bachelor's and
master's degrees from Rider College, Lawrenceville, N.J.  He is a
graduate of the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia and earned
his doctorate from the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago.
     Lewis served as director of church and community ministries,
Lutheran Children and Family Services, Philadelphia, 1986-88; director
for community development, ELCA Division for Social Ministry
Organizations, 1988-90; director of the New Jersey Governor's Office of
African American Affairs, 1990-94; and executive director, Lutheran
Council of Tidewater, Norfolk, Va., 1995-97.  The council provides
chaplaincy and social services in southeast Virginia.
     Although he's had a series of stimulating jobs, Lewis said "this
is the one that I'm most excited about."
     "According to my calculations, in the next four to five years
about 20 to 25 percent of the ELCA's African American pastors will be
retiring," said Lewis.  "We need to have people in the pipeline to
replace these women and men ... people who have been around the past 25
to 30 years."
     "I'm one of those guys who's been walking around telling people
for years that we need to prepare and to get people in the pipeline," he
said.  "They've pretty much told me, 'Now you've got your shot.  Now
it's on you.'  So, now I've got to fulfill that."
     Lewis chairs the steering committee of the ELCA Commission for
Multicultural Ministries.  He was pastor of the Lutheran Church of the
Atonement, Atlanta, and a consultant for the Economic Manpower
Corporation, the National Urban Coalition and the Lilly Foundation.
     Lewis and his wife, Rose, a teacher, have two daughters and three
grandchildren.

For information contact: