From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New dean for St. Mark's Cathedral in Seattle

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 31 Aug 1999 10:57:08

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383

Visit our web site at
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-114

New dean in Seattle hopes cathedral will be place of hope,
reconciliation and justice

by James Solheim

     (ENS) St. Mark's Cathedral in Seattle has chosen a young
South African with a passion for reconciliation and justice to be
its new dean. He also happens to be the first openly gay man
elected to such a position in the Episcopal Church.

     In an August 1 meeting with the 1,800-member congregation at
the cathedral after his election, the Rev. Robert Taylor of
Peekskill, New York, called St. Mark's "an astonishing place"
that he hopes will be known increasingly as "a place of light, a
place of hope, a place of reconciliation, a place of justice."

     "Robert Taylor brings to us a vision of cathedral in every
sense of the word," said Bishop Vincent Warner. "He is clear
about the value of partnership and anticipates making strong
connections with the diocese, the ecumenical and interfaith
community, and the city of Seattle. Robert's ministry is grounded
in liturgy and preaching which emphasizes the grace, generosity
and joyful presence of God among us. He has a grounded
spirituality that brings healing and reconciliation to the places
in which he ministers."

     Taylor was forced to leave South Africa in 1980, with the
help of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, because of his active and public
opposition to apartheid during his student days at Rhodes
University in Grahamstown. Following his participation in a 1977
demonstration, the secret police ransacked his apartment and
opened his mail. Facing mandatory military service, it became
apparent that he faced a jail sentence unless he fled. "When I
was struggling whether to go to jail, Desmond persuaded me not
to," offering to help him leave the country.

     In 1980 he enrolled at Union Theological Seminary in New
York. Following graduation in 1983, he was ordained and has
served as rector at St. Peter's Church in Peekskill since 1988.
During his tenure, the congregation grew from 70 members to more
than 400.

Sensitive to the community

     When he moves to Seattle, Taylor will be accompanied by
Andrew Esham, his partner of 15 years. While the cathedral has a
significant gay and lesbian membership, Taylor made it clear that
he has no intention of being a poster boy for any factions in the
congregation. He said that he would be "deeply disappointed if
the people of St. Mark's only viewed me in that way." He said
that he hopes to open a conversation with other clergy in the
diocese on sexuality issues because it is "vitally important to
be in conversation."

     Roger Sherman, senior warden at the cathedral, said that the
search committee "did not set out to elect a 'gay dean.' Rather,
we prayerfully sought to discern God's will in this matter and
trusted we would be led to the right candidate. That candidate is
Robert Taylor. We need a strong and prophetic leader--and we have
found one."

     Offering his reaction to the election, Tutu commented on
Taylor's inclusive style. "Our God is the ever-welcoming one for
whom there are no outsiders, all are insiders. That is why Jesus
broke down the embrace to include all--women, men, children,
young and old, rich, poor, white, black, heterosexual, gay--all
are invited and held in this embrace."

     As a rector in Peekskill, Taylor reached out to the
community, initiating new and innovative programs for children
and the elderly, summer programs for youth, healing services for
those living with HIV-AIDS, and a community choir for children.

     "He is a man who will build bridges within the community of
St. Mark's and throughout the city and the diocese," said the
Very Rev. Gerald Porter, provost of the diocese who has been
priest-in-charge at the cathedral following the resignation of
the previous dean.

     "He came to New York and took an ailing parish in a state of
bad decline--and turned it around into a thriving parish and a
model of outreach and ministry," said Bishop Catherine Roskam,
suffragan bishop of New York. "He is an excellent preacher and a
committed activist for justice."

     Taylor expects to begin on the First Sunday in Advent,
November 28.

(This article is based on reports by Jeff Wilson at St. Mark's
Cathedral and by John Iwasaki in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.)

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.