From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal delegation visit Moscow and Istanbul

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 31 Aug 1999 10:57:31

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383

Visit our web site at
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-107

Griswold and delegation greeted warmly by Orthodox patriarchs in
Moscow and Istanbul

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold and a small
delegation from the Episcopal Church made an official visit in
July to two of the most important centers of Orthodox
Christianity, in Moscow and Istanbul, where they received a very
warm welcome--and assurances of "a new era of cooperation."

     Welcomed at the airport by representatives of the Russian
Orthodox Church's Department for External Church Relations
(DECR), it was clear that the long history of relations between
the two churches had transcended political differences between
the two nations. Archimandrite Feofan, a vice-chairman of DCER,
said in the opening conversation that the political barriers
could be overcome by Christians who share a common faith. "This
is our responsibility before God," he said.

     Griswold responded by agreeing that "people of faith must
overcome obstacles," citing a history of cooperation that goes
back to the early 19th century when Episcopalians offered
hospitality to Russian Orthodox congregations in California. "I
came to learn about the church in Russia and to build on those
relationships so they can be richer and more productive," he
said.

     Bishop Richard Grein of New York, who has close ties to the
Russian church, pointed out that Patriarch Tikhon of Moscow and
All Russia, who led the church during the Revolution and was
later canonized, was a bishop in New York and formed friendships
with Episcopalians. He said that he has icons of Tikhon in his
office and "I pray to him daily about our relationship--that it
will continue to grow."

     In the four-day visit the delegation met with Patriarch
Alexy II and other church leaders to discuss common issues and
explore ways to cooperate.

     In addition to Griswold and Grein, the delegation included
the Rev. David Perry, the church's deputy ecumenical officer;
Bishop Roger White of Milwaukee, co-chair of a coordinating
committee of the two churches; the Rev. Prof. J. Robert Wright of
the General Seminary in New York, ecumenical consultant to the
ecumenical office; Bishop Charles Keyser, bishop for the Armed
Forces; the Rev. John Backus, chair of the Diocese of New York's
Russia Committee; and Jim Rosenthal, communications officer for
the Anglican Communion Office in London.

Task is to restore souls

     In a conversation with Alexy and church leaders, the
patriarch described the enormous task of restoring thousands of
churches and hundreds of monasteries and ministries that were
"disrupted by the Revolution." Yet, he added, "Our most important
task is to help people restore their souls."

     He expressed deep appreciation to the Episcopal Church "for
your help in restoring our activities and consider your visit
another step in developing our good relations." He cited areas
such as religious education and chaplaincy to the military. "I
give great importance to personal contact," he said.

     Griswold quickly agreed, pointing out that several members
of the delegation had already formed relationships with the
Russian church, leading to "deepened respect and affection." He
expressed a hope that prayer, which had "sustained you through
difficult times," would now usher in a new era "so that which has
been hidden may flourish openly."

     Alexy was obviously moved by the observation. "People can't
imagine what our church went through in the 1920s and 1930s. It
was genocide against religion, but now we have new models of
witness... who share the experience of persecution through the
centuries."

     Griswold said that he had read with deep respect about the
witness of the church, mentioning several theologians and
teachers. "In some sense I feel that I have come home," he said.

     The patriarch described the present hunger in Russian
society for religion and a "great desire" for the Bible. Yet he
pointed again to the immense task of restoring 12,000 churches
and about 450 monasteries and finding clergy.

Transcending differences

     Meeting with the press following the audience, Griswold
repeated his deep appreciation for the Russian church's "rich
experience of prayer and spirituality--gifts we very much need in
the United States." And he said that the Episcopal Church was
ready to share some of its practical experience. "We are not
interested in the slightest bit in any kind of proselytism
because we support and respect the ministries of churches."

     The Russians have been bruised by what they perceive as
encroachments by Western missionary agencies but also by the
Roman Catholic Church's appointment of bishops for Russia without
any consultation. And they have encountered some tensions within
the Orthodox family, especially since the dissolution of the
Soviet Union.

     The patriarch expressed appreciation that the presiding
bishop's delegation had "come to see what has been accomplished
with God's grace. After 70 years we are seeing people come back
to faith, more aware of their need for God." He said that the
last century was a tragic one for the Russians, with two world
wars, a Revolution, depression, atheism and other upheavals. "We
think it is our duty to remind society, educated for atheism and
a denial of faith, that the new century will be marked by the
maturing of Christianity. Our whole culture is based on Christian
values... so we will celebrate Jubilee by returning to those
values."

     "We have not experienced suffering as you have," Griswold
said. "Your experience and witness can assist us in coming to
that deeper place of prayer and grounding on the rock that is
Christ." And he said that "our oneness in Christ through baptism
transcends political differences between our peoples."

New era of collaboration

     Metropolitan Kirill, chair of the DECR, hosted the
delegation in an important dialogue on cooperation. He said that
the Russian church was deeply involved in trying to establish a
"new understanding" of the church's role in society while
maintaining contacts with other churches.

     "The church should be a peace-making force in the country,"
Kirill said. He outlined efforts for peace in the Balkans where
the Russian church intervened with Yugoslav President Slobodan
Milosevic, pressing for an agreement to allow NATO forces in
Kosovo. "Churches should be in the forefront of solving these
problems," he asserted. He proposed a conference to deal with the
role of churches in reconstruction.

     On the touchy subject of the WCC, Kirill said, "We are not
against the World Council of Churches but we want it to be more
effective in interchurch relations." He expressed frustration
among the Orthodox with the theological meaning of membership and
said that criticism had mounted and become more "noisy" in the
last decade.

     The metropolitan said that it might help if membership were
based on "confessional families," suggesting that the WCC
consider two chambers, one based on confession and the other more
freely based, including all groups and a wide range of issues.
Each might have its own agenda and style.

     "In the last 50 years the Orthodox voice has been
marginalized," he argued. "We must be equal partners or
withdraw."

     Admitting that the coordinating committee of the two
churches needed attention, he promised to take steps to
"stimulate" cooperation. "Relations with your church is one of
the few positive ones with churches that came out of the
Reformation," he said.

     Bishop Roger White expressed his appreciation, observing
that the practical cooperation was "very active for six years"
but had shown little progress in the last two years. He has co-
chaired the committee since it was established following a visit
to Russia by former presiding bishop, Edmond Browning.

     Kirill proposed that the next round of theological dialogue
consider the challenges of the new millennium, centering on the
relations of Christian cultures in the East and West. "Many
problems arise because there never has been an ideological
conversation" on those cultural differences. He highlighted the
value of student exchange and the trust that has developed
through those exchanges. "We send them to friends--in trust," he
said.

Peace through friendship

     Showing familiarity with the history of relations between
the two churches, Kirill said that contacts were established when
Russia sold Alaska to the United States. The Holy Synod of the
Russian Church received "an amazing message" from the Episcopal
Church proposing common pastoral work in Alaska. In response, the
Holy Synod said that the churches "should seek unity in faith
through dialogue," that peace comes through friendship.

      "It is still very relevant--the best answer to those who
reject relations, who argue against them. Our two churches have
never disrupted their relations and now we face a very good
opportunity to enrich each other." Griswold said that the
conversation had convinced him that the two churches were
entering a "new era of collaboration."

     As a sign of that collaboration, Bishop Charles Keyser was
invited to participate in the dedication of a new military chapel
where the patriarch made it very clear that he was enthused and
supportive of cooperation--in a public setting that included the
deputy minister of defense and nine generals.

     In 1995 Keyser headed a delegation of military chaplains to
Russia to consult with his counterpart, Bishop Savva, and the two
of them also visited peacekeeping forces in Bosnia in the fall of
1996 and reported back to the patriarch. "We will resume plans
for a discussion with Russian clergy on the problem of suicide, a
conversation sidelined by the crisis in Kosovo."

     The delegation also visited the new Cathedral of Christ the
Savior, rising on the banks of the Moscow River on the site of a
cathedral destroyed by Stalin in 1931. Despite the cost, with
estimates of almost $150 million, it is regarded as a symbol of
the church's revival and has received support from believers
throughout Russia. The delegation attended a reception at the
Church of St. Andrew, an Anglican parish seized in 1920 and
reestablished after its return in 1991. (See text of Communique
issued at the end of the visit in Newsfeatures.)

The spiritual center of Orthodoxy

     The shimmering onion domes of Moscow's churches changed into
domes of the world's largest mosques as the delegation flew to
Istanbul, once the most powerful city in Christendom but now a
place where the church struggles for visibility in an environment
that is occasionally hostile.

     Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I welcomed the delegation,
calling the visit "an occasion of great rejoicing" that would
deepen the relationship. In his official welcome, he said that he
hoped that "your pilgrimage to the spiritual center of Orthodoxy
will lead you to regard our city to truly be the age-old bridge
uniting East and West--as it indeed has been for nearly two
millennia." (See text in Newsfeatures)

     Looking back over the last millennium, he said that it
"began tragically with the division of the seamless garment of
Christ, his holy church, namely with the separation between the
Roman Catholic and the Eastern Orthodox Church. Subsequent
centuries have seen the continued lamentable process of
fragmentation and disruption of communion between believers in
Christ, both in the East and in the West."

     The patriarch urged faithfulness to a vision of the
undivided church, even though he admitted that "the path is long
and difficult."

     He said, "We must contend with the current ecumenical
malaise," one that is marked by "cooling of relationships," and a
"winter of ecumenism." One example of that malaise, he observed,
is the "troublesome" future of the World Council of Churches, one
that he finds "disheartening." And he described the anger of many
Orthodox churches over "missionary activity and proselytism,"
especially in areas where the church is emerging from an era of
persecution.

     In response, Griswold said he hoped that "spring is coming"
and that the patriarch would support the new dialogue between the
Episcopal Church and the Orthodox in the United States. He
thanked the patriarch for his "witness in the larger community
and his concern for justice" and his "frankness over some of the
difficulties in the ecumenical world today." He repeated the
Episcopal Church's official position that "where there is a
historic church, we are there to support that church." The
patriarch added that he was "delighted to hear that from you."

     The patriarch described his role in "the first see in the
Orthodox world," and "first among equals" of the 16 independent
Orthodox churches with a membership estimated at 250 million.
That role has had its rocky moments in recent years, including a
serious conflict with Patriarch Alexy over jurisdiction of
Orthodox churches in Estonia.

     Concerned with pan-Orthodox unity, Bartholomew proposed an
Orthodox summit shortly after his election in 1992, repeating the
invitation in 1995. It is now scheduled for December of 2000 and
it will discuss common problems the church faces in the new
millennium.

     "Christians are just a drop in a Muslim ocean" in Turkey,
despite a long history that began in biblical times and
culminated in the Byzantine Empire. The delegation visited one of
the most important symbols of that era, Hagia Sophia (Church of
Holy Wisdom), for almost a thousand years the largest church and
most important church in the world. When the Ottoman Turks
captured Constantinople in 1453, the church was turned into a
mosque and in 1936 it officially became a museum with mixed
Christian and Islamic symbols.

     Despite pressures, and an occasional bomb thrown over the
wall of the patriarch's headquarters, Bartholomew is convinced
that, after 17 centuries, it is important to remain in Istanbul
as a witness to that historic role.

A continuation of the past

     In a dialogue at a monastery on the nearby island of Halki
with members of the Synod Commission on Inter-Christian Relations
the tone was open and frank. Griswold pointed out that Anglicans
have always drawn on Eastern Church fathers and Orthodox
spirituality.

     Metropolitan Gennadios raised the issue of how the Episcopal
Church deals with issues of sexuality, expressing dismay that the
Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in New York recently
hosted a service for sexual minorities.

     Griswold responded that the churches in America are trying
to deal with the emotional issues of sexuality, adding that he is
convinced that the most significant conversations take place
"between the extremes." He said that last summer's Lambeth
Conference of Anglican/Episcopal bishops "helped us recognize
that theology is always done in a local setting." And yet Lambeth
also raised the difficult issues of authority in the church,
mutual accountability and limits to freedom among member
provinces of the Anglican Communion.

     The visit to Russia came at an "incredibly precarious time,"
Griswold observed, a time when the church faces the tremendous
challenge of rebuilding churches and dealing with a popular piety
that is sometimes disconnected from deeper spiritual roots.
Because the need to supply clergy is so urgent, theological
education may be inadequate.

     Professor B. Stavridis, an advisor to the patriarch, pointed
to the Episcopal Church's "very close and very rich relationship
with the Ecumenical Patriarchate," adding that "we are not
starting something new, it is a continuation of the past."
Griswold responded, "We are retrieving the past and going into a
new future." He said that he was grateful for the frankness he
had encountered on the trip because it meant "moving beyond the
ceremonial level." He is convinced that "we have something we can
build on."

     In a second conversation with the patriarch, he said, "We
need your prayers, your solidarity--and your support." He
encouraged a strengthened dialogue on the local and national
level but also with his office. He was pleased to learn that
Grein will co-chair the renewed dialogue with Orthodox in the
U.S.

     In a prepared response to the patriarch's official welcome
(See text in Newsfeatures), Griswold said that the delegation
sensed that they were "at home in this venerable spiritual center
of Orthodoxy." He said that "we dare to hope that in some small
way our visit to the Great Church and our meeting with you is
indicative of a new springtime that is slowly overcoming the
ecumenical winter of the past few decades."

A new beginning

     Later Griswold said that the "generous outpouring of
friendship was quite overwhelming, much of it based on
relationships we have already established." He was clearly buoyed
by the determination in both Moscow and Istanbul to pursue ever-
deeper relationships and cooperation.  "I leave with a vastly
expanded vision of the church catholic and the rich variety of
ways in which the Holy Spirit is at work among believers in other
cultures, other churches."

     Griswold was moved by the suffering, prayer and presence of
the Holy Spirit that has "sustained these churches through dark
and difficult times. It is a gift to us in the West." And he was
intrigued by the possibilities of practical cooperation in relief
for Kosovo, in the context of the church's role in peace efforts.

     White said that the visit "represents a new beginning
because the transition has been made." Perry agreed, adding that
Griswold had connected with both patriarchs on a personal and a
theological level. "As a result, the ripple effect will influence
our relationship on all levels, including local communities of
faith," he said. "We have received a strong endorsement for our
work together in the future."

     --James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office
of News and Information and accompanied the delegation to Moscow
and Istanbul.