From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Letter from the Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 31 Aug 1999 13:11:01

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383

Visit our web site at
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-106

Letter from the Presiding Bishop invites all to a Day of Prayer
for persons affected by HIV/AIDS

     July 1999

     Dear friends in Christ:

     Informed by new trends in the HIV/AIDS pandemic by the
Executive Council's committee on HIV/AIDS, I am moved to invite
our congregations to a time of reflection and observance about
this continuing malady amongst us.

     We can give thanks for the encouraging progress against the
disease in some of the developed countries where many infected
people are living longer and the rate of infection among gay men
has slowed or declined.  Unfortunately, at the same time, there
is an alarming rise in HIV infections in communities of color,
young heterosexual men and women, drug users, and older married
women.  And while people are living longer with the disease,
there is still no cure and no vaccine to prevent it.

     The pandemic continues to be one of the most serious health
concerns in the world.  Infection rates are increasing alarmingly
in many regions, notably central Africa, southeast Asia, and the
Indian sub-continent.  The costs of caring for people with AIDS
are effectively prohibitive in these regions.  Many countries
face economic decline because of the devastation of the disease
among working-age people.

     A strong and ongoing ministry to all people affected by
HIV/AIDS continues to deserve a high priority in the outreach of
the Episcopal Church.  I am so grateful for the compassionate
witness undertaken by our church in response to this disease over
the years.  That response is still needed.

     Therefore, I hereby invite all congregations of our Church
to a Day of Prayer for Persons affected by HIV/AIDS, as
encouraged by our General Convention.  Such a day might be
observed in October on the Sunday closest to St. Luke's Day
(October 18) if convenient; or otherwise on the Feast Day of
Constance and her Companions in Memphis (September 9) or some
other appropriate time.

     I urge all members of the Episcopal Church to support this
observance with their prayers and presence, and to take part in
this important ministry according to their individual gifts and
talents.

Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate