From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Chinese-American leaders set goals for growing church

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 31 Aug 1999 13:11:04

Aug. 31, 1999 News media contact: Linda Green*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
10-33-71B{440}

By Kathy Gilbert*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- A national gathering of Chinese-American leaders
in the United Methodist Church represents a step toward reaching out to the
3 million Chinese Americans in the United States today, many of whom are
"unchurched," according to a denomination official.

"There are many resourceful leaders, both laity and clergy, in the
Chinese-American community who are concerned about reaching the Chinese
Americans in their midst who do not attend any church," said KilSang Yoon, a
director in the Division of Ordained Ministry at the United Methodist Board
of Higher Education and Ministry in Nashville.

"This event brought them closer together and helped them focus on their goal
of sharing the Gospel within their community," Yoon said.

The July 21-24 event in Arcadia, Calif., brought more than 90 pastors and
lay leaders together to worship, pray and focus on the theme of "Reaching
Chinese Americans for Jesus in the 21st Century."

"Chinese Americans have been a part of the people called Methodists since
1866, when they first gathered for Bible study in Sacramento, Calif.," said
the Rev. Lee-Lee Tan Castor, chairwoman of the National Committee of Chinese
American Ministries. "Today, Chinese Americans are a vital part of the
national scene, leading productive lives in every major city of the United
States. The gathering was a wake-up call to claim Jesus' Great Commission to
be witnesses of the Gospel, (and) participants were challenged and given the
opportunity to ponder the words of Scripture and to claim the tremendous
responsibilities of discipleship."

The National Committee of Chinese American Ministries is part of the United
Methodist Board of Global Ministries' outreach work. The board has funds to
help Chinese Americans develop plans to reach out to other Chinese
Americans.

Matthew Chong, newly elected chairman of the National Chinese Caucus, said
the event was an opportunity for clergy and laity to see they had common
goals and visions for reaching out to Chinese Americans.

"The event challenges us to develop ways to recruit Chinese pastors and also
strategies for congregational development," he said. "It brings excitement
and hope to the Chinese leadership to see what God is going to accomplish in
us and through us as we step into a new millennium."

"I was blessed by the presence of the Spirit of God as we gathered as
Chinese lay and clergy to learn and celebrate our togetherness in our
mission and ministries," said Mamie Koh, former chair of the caucus. I saw
the uplifting of our people in our spirit and our unity. I felt that the
Chinese people of The United Methodist Church are really coming together in
a common bond to serve and give glory to our God."

The National Chinese Caucus is the volunteer organization of
Chinese-American United Methodists to promote their needs within the
connection.

Yoon and James Law, former chair of the NCCAM and pastor of Chinese United
Methodist Church in Manhattan, N.Y., began discussing ways to reach out to
Chinese Americans in 1997. The first consultation was held last January in
Los Angeles.

"The first mission to the Chinese by the Methodist Episcopal Church was 150
years ago," Law said. "Now there are only 22 Chinese United Methodist
churches in the U.S. The Chinese people constitute a great mission field,
and this gathering was a turning point for us."

Chong said the Chinese American leadership gathering adopted the following
goals:
	*	To draw clergy and laity together to be connected with one
another for the common vision and mission of reaching out to Chinese
Americans.
	*	To help the Chinese-American churches explore the most
effective ways and practical means for empowering and expanding United
Methodist churches.
	*	To recruit Chinese pastors and make plans for congregational
development.

"These are the dreams and visions before us after the event," Chong said.
"May God empower the clergy and the laity in the Chinese United Methodist
churches to join hands and hearts together for the fulfillment of these
visions."

For more information, contact the Section of Elders and Local Pastors, P.O.
Box 871, Nashville, TN 37202; phone: (615)340-7389; fax: (615)340-7395;
e-mail: selp@gbhem.org; or visit www.gbhem.org/ordmin.html on the Internet.

# # #

*Gilbert is a staff member in the Office of Interpretation at the United
Methodist Board of Higher Education and Ministry.

United Methodist News Service
http://www.umc.org/umns/
newsdesk@umcom.umc.org
(615)742-5472