From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Response of the Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 31 Aug 1999 13:11:11

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383

Visit our web site at
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-110

Response of the Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold, XXV presiding bishop
and primate of the Episcopal Church in the U.S.A., to the address
of His All Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew

     Your All Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch, beloved brother
in the Lord,

     We have been deeply moved by the gracious welcome that you
have extended to me and my associates during this, my first visit
to the Ecumenical Patriarchate, this ancient and highly venerated
see which stands as the first among equals in the Orthodox world.
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we greet you as well as the
other hierarchs of the Ecumenical Throne and those who assist you
in your all important ministry of leadership and service.  Though
I, as Primate,  and some of my colleagues have met you now
officially and formally for the first time while others of us
have known you for many years, we already feel that we are your
friends, and indeed that is what we wish to be -- friends in the
One Lord who unites us all in the worship of God who is the
Living and True.  Already we sense that we are at home in this
venerable spiritual center of Orthodoxy.

     It is significant that we come to you at the close of the
second millennium and the dawn of the third, and we dare to hope
that in some small way our visit to the Great Church and our
meeting with you is indicative of a new springtime that is slowly
overcoming the ecumenical winter of the past few decades.   We
salute the achievements that your All Holiness has already so
readily and successfully contributed, both  to the larger world
community in your concerns for ecology, justice, peace, and the
integrity of creation and relations between religions, as well as
to your witness in the Christian ecumenical movement that is so
well appreciated in the World Council of Churches and in the
dialogues between various individual churches and especially in
our own Anglican Communion and the Episcopal Church.  May I
humbly dare to hope that my own ministry as Presiding Bishop and
Primate that is now beginning may be inspired by your example.
May your same example also enliven the dialogue of Anglicans and
Orthodox in the United States that is soon to be re-established
under the leadership of my esteemed brother, the Bishop of New
York, who at my appointment serves the Episcopal Church in this
important role.   And may my new service as co-chairman of the
Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission be helpful also
to the concerns of the Orthodox churches as well as others.  The
Episcopal Church is committed to Christian unity on the basis of
the Holy Scriptures, the ancient creeds, the gospel sacraments,
and the ministry of the historic episcopate, elements which
collectively we call the "Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral." The
last and most discussed of these points, the historic episcopate,
which is integral to the life of the ancient churches of the East
and West, we are determined in no way to abandon or compromise.

     We have been grateful for the opportunity to visit some of
the historic sites in this part of the world, especially those
places that are not only historic but also holy, and we applaud
the determination of your Ecumenical Throne, of the Great Church,
to remain here in this city where it has always been, for in this
way we believe you serve most effectively the causes of peace and
unity to which we are all committed. Where there is an historic
church in a given place, it is the desire of the Episcopal Church
to offer it our support both in prayer and in areas of practical
collaboration, and not to compete with it.  At the same time, the
official policy of our church explicitly excludes any act of
proselytism.  Our informal theological conversations which took
place yesterday on Halki were straightforward and encouraging.
They, together with other conversations we have enjoyed with your
All Holiness and representatives of your Ecumenical Throne during
these past few days lead me to extend to you my willingness and
indeed my heartfelt desire to be of service to and in solidarity
with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in the days ahead. I do so
mindful of the long history of friendship, practical
collaboration, and theological convergence between the Great
Church of Constantinople and the churches of the Anglican
Communion.

     Especially in this land of the ancient ecumenical councils,
we have been pleased to visit and to pray as pilgrims;  and in
the town of Iznik, the ancient city of Nicaea, where the first
and seventh ecumenical councils met, we have been moved to say
with renewed conviction the words of the ecumenical symbol of our
faith:   "We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of
Life, who proceeds from the Father ... And in One Holy Catholic
and Apostolic Church."   May the liberating presence of the Holy
Spirit who animates and enlivens the Church drawing her ever
deeper into the mystery of Christ guide us and urge us in the
days ahead.  And may the communion of the Holy and Undivided
Trinity become more and more visible in the life and labor we
share.  "My brother is my life," as the Desert Fathers remind us.
I regard you as my brother not only in friendship but according
to God's will, not only for my good but for the good of God's
Holy Church.  Again I thank your All Holiness for your gracious
welcome and encouragement to me and those who have accompanied me
on this visit.   I ask God's blessing and strengthening grace
upon the ministry you exercise,  both here in the Great Church
and as Ecumenical Patriarch,   in this world that desperately
needs the healing and reconciling power of our Lord and Savior
Jesus Christ.