From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians urged to observe Day of Prayer

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 31 Aug 1999 13:12:00

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383

Visit our web site at
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-117

Presiding bishop urges church to observe Day of Prayer for
Persons affected by HIV/AIDS

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold sent a letter in
July to all parishes of the Episcopal Church, urging them to
observe a Day of Prayer for Persons affected by HIV/AIDS, "as
encouraged by General Convention."

     He said that he was inviting the church "to a time of
reflection and observance about this continuing malady among us"
based on information about trends in the pandemic supplied by the
Executive Council's committee dealing with the issue.

     "We can give thanks for the encouraging progress against the
disease in some of the developed countries where many infected
people are living longer and the rate of infection among gay men
has slowed or declined," he wrote.

     Yet he pointed to "an alarming rise in HIV infections in
communities of color, young heterosexual men and women, drug
users, and older married women. And while people are living
longer with the disease, there is still no cure and no vaccine to
prevent it."

     Griswold said that HIV/AIDS "continues to be one of the most
serious health problems in the world," with rapidly increasing
infection rates in many regions, "notably central Africa,
southeast Asia and the Indian sub-continent" where costs for
health care are "effectively prohibitive."

     He added, "A strong and ongoing ministry to all people
affected by HIV/AIDS continues to deserve a high priority in the
outreach of the Episcopal Church. I am so grateful for the
compassionate witness undertaken by our church in response to
this disease over the years. That response is still needed."

     Many churches observe the day of prayer in October, on the
Sunday closes to St. Luke's Day (October 18). Others may choose
the Feast Day of Constance and her Companions in Memphis
(September 9) "or some other appropriate time.

     "I urge all members of the Episcopal Church to support this
observance with their prayers and presence, and to take part in
this important ministry according to their individual gifts and
talents," the letter concluded.

     Check the home page for the National Episcopal Aids
Coalition (www.neac.org) or materials available from Episcopal
Parish Services (800-903-5544).

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.