From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Issues Materials to Facilitate Deliberation on Homosexuality

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 09 Sep 1999 10:15:15

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 9, 1999

ELCA ISSUES MATERIALS TO FACILITATE DELIBERATION ON HOMOSEXUALITY
99-224-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "Talking Together as Christians about
Homosexuality" is a guide for congregations to gather information and to
conduct organized discussions about what has been a difficult topic for
the church.  The Division for Church in Society of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) developed the materials and issued
them at the end of August through Augsburg Fortress, publishing house of
the ELCA.
     The materials include a 75-page book, a leader's guide and two 90-minute
videotapes.  One videotape contains two lectures, and the other
consists of a dozen people telling their personal experiences with
homosexuality.
     "When the ELCA attempted to set forth its understanding of human
sexuality in a social statement in 1993, it became clear that, on the
topic of homosexuality, though the inherited tradition continues to
guide the consciences of many people, it does not express for others an
adequate understanding of the Christian life in light of the gospel and
human experiences," said the book's introduction.
     "In 1996, the ELCA Church Council adopted 'Sexuality: Some Common
Convictions,' which intentionally did not address ethical questions
related to homosexuality because of a lack of consensus within the
ELCA," it said.
     The book includes chapters on "The Bible and Homosexuality,"
"Scientific Perspectives," "Marriage and Committed Relationships" and
"The Ordination of Non-celibate Gay and Lesbian People."
     "Two Ethical Perspectives" is a chapter in the written material
and the name of one videotape.  In the video, two ethicists look at
homosexuality from different points of view.
     The Rev. Gilbert Meilaender Jr., a pastor of The Lutheran Church-Missouri
Synod and professor of Christian ethics, Valparaiso University,
Valparaiso, Ind., presented "The First of Institutions."  For
Christians, any discussion of homosexuality must focus first on marriage
-- more than a relationship, God's framework for sexual love, he said.
     "By turning against the created meaning of our humanity as male
and female, homosexual behavior claims the freedom to give our own
meaning to life and thereby symbolically enacts a rejection of God's
will for creation," said Meilaender.  St. Paul of the Christian New
Testament "was familiar with a range of homosexual behavior not unlike
the range in our world, and that range of behavior he condemned."
     "We dare not permit the church's public teaching on the matter of
homosexuality or any other matter to be taken over and determined by a
desire -- however sincere and well-intentioned -- to affirm every person
in whatever state he or she may be," said Meilaender.  "To articulate
the Christian norm for life is not the church's only task, but it is a
necessary task."
     The Rev. Paul T. Jersild, an ELCA pastor and professor of theology
and ethics, Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia, S.C.,
presented "On Homosexuality: The Need for Reassessment."  He describes
his task as "to make clear the need of the church to reassess its
tradition on this subject."
     St. Paul "includes those engaged in homosexual acts -- or at least
this is what we have assumed he means -- among the people whom God in
his wrath has given up to evil passions and the worship of idols.  How
can we relate such people to the homosexual persons we know who are in
Christ and share with us the baptismal covenant, the sacramental meal,
the hearing of the Word?" Jersild asked.
     "As a Christian community we need to move away from the kind of
rational, universal thinking about human sexuality that coerces everyone
into the same heterosexual mold, often with great human cost," he said.
"We should be more concerned to address a people's humanity than their
sexuality and to understand their sexuality as much more than genital
activity."
     The Rev. M. Wyvetta Bullock, executive director, ELCA Division for
Congregational Ministries, introduced "Stories of Gay People and Family
Members," the other videotape.  "This videotape contains stories of gay
people and family members.  It is designed to help congregations hear
the struggles and joys experienced by gay men and lesbian women and
their family members," she said.
     The tape includes blank space between each of about 10 segments.
"You may wish to stop the tape for reflection or discussion," said
Bullock.
     Part one of the videotape holds the stories of five people.
"Dottie, Dan, Margaret, Dave and Diane are all associated with Eagle's
Wings Ministry, whose purpose it is to minister to all who desire
freedom from homosexuality," said Bullock.
     Eagle's Wings Ministry, based in Minneapolis, is a non-profit
Christian organization not associated with any one church body.  Its
work is based on the views that a person's sexual orientation cannot be
controlled, but sexual behavior can be, and that God's boundaries for
acceptable sexual expression are between one man and one woman committed
to each other for life.
     Part two of the videotape shows Margaret, Chuck, RosaLinda, Emily,
Jan, Roberta and Charlie telling their experiences as gay and lesbian
Lutherans.  "Some of their views challenge the church's position on
homosexuality," said Bullock.
     The leader's guide includes tips of how to organize small group
discussions around Bible study, storytelling, questions and
deliberation, depending on the number of participants and the time
allotted for the program.  The guide has several pages that can be
photocopied and distributed to participants, as well as suggestions
about additional resources.

For information contact: