From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Advocacy for "Disappeared" - NCCCUSA Mission

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 14 Sep 1999 07:31:36

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web:  www.ncccusa.org

Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

100NCC9/14/99 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TOP NCC DELEGATION VISIT  SEPT. 22-28 TO SUPPORT SEARCH FOR
TRUTH ABOUT "DISAPPEARED" IN CHILE, URUGUAY AND ARGENTINA

 Sept. 14, 1999, NEW YORK CITY - Some 25 years after
nearly 25,000 people were "disappeared" by repressive
regimes in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay, their families
still ache to know what happened to their loved ones.  These
families' human right remain unresolved, to find their dead
and to give them a proper burial, or in some cases to find
those "disappeared" who are still alive today - babies taken
from their imprisoned parents and put up for adoption..

 September 22-28, a top-level delegation from the (U.S.)
National Council of Churches (NCC) will travel to those
three countries to support the families, human rights
organizations and churches struggling together to find the
truth and to encourage the political will to resolve this
outstanding human and ethical problem.

 "During the repression, the National Council of
Churches participated in supporting human rights, meeting
refugees' needs, helping people who needed to leave their
countries and intervening in many other ways," said the
delegation's leader, the Rev. Dr. Joan B. Campbell, NCC
General Secretary.  "Our support was - and remains -
particularly important, given that the U.S. government
supported those dictatorships in the 1970s.  We want to
reiterate our unflagging support for the search for justice.

"Ever since Uruguay, Chile and Argentina returned to
normal life, we've supported the return of exiles and the
search for the truth," she said.  "But there is one point
still not resolved by the three countries since their return
to legality and that is the return of the bodies of the
disappeared.  For their families, wounds inflicted 25 years
ago remain open."

The four NCC representatives will be accompanied by the
President of the Latin American Council of Churches, Dr.
Walter Altmann, a Lutheran who is Professor of Systematic
Theology in the Theological Seminary in Sao Leopoldo,
Brazil.  Dr. Altmann's participation signals  "the strong
support of this mission by the ecumenical movement in Latin
America," Dr. Campbell said.

Presidential elections will take place in all three
countries before year's end, and the group's itinerary -
planned by churches and human rights groups in the host
countries-- includes meetings with the leading candidates.

"The churches in the three countries asked us to meet
with the political candidates as those who will have in
their hands the power to resolve the ethical and human
rights problem of the disappearances," said the Rev. Oscar
Bolioli, Director of the NCC's Latin America and the
Caribbean Office, a delegation member.

"We want to give new impulse to the search for the
disappeared," he said, "to mobilize the political will in
Uruguay, with 60 `disappeared;' sustain the very advanced
process in Argentina, with 20,000 `disappeared,' and support
the process in Chile, with 4,000 `disappeared.'  We are
supporting the right of those families to bury their
relatives and to know what happened and why."

Besides Drs. Campbell and Altmann and the Rev. Bolioli,
delegation members are:

-the Rev. Canon Patrick Mauney, Vice President and President
Elect of the NCC's Church World Service and Witness Unit,
and Director of Global and Anglican Relations of The
Episcopal Church, and

-Dr. Rafael Malpica Padilla, President, NCC Committee on
Latin America and the Caribbean, and Director for the Latin
America and Caribbean Division, Department of Global
Missions, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

 A detailed itinerary is available upon request for the
delegation's more than 30 appointments in Uruguay Sept. 22-
23, Argentina Sept. 24-26 and Chile Sept. 27-28.

-end-
 -0-