From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Samples of New "Covenant People" Curriculum Mailed to Churches

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Sep 1999 20:07:59

15-September-1999
99302

    Samples of New "Covenant People" Curriculum
    Mailed to Churches

    New materials will be ready for use in fall of 2000

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Samples of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s new church
school curricula - "Covenant People," "Bible Quest" and "The Present Word"
- have been sent to every Presbyterian congregation as the much-anticipated
rollout of the new materials nears.

    The new curricula will make their official debut at the Feb. 2-5, 2000
meeting of the Association of Presbyterian Church Educators, where a series
of workshops will be conducted to teach Presbyterian educators about the
new curricula.

    But with budget decisions for next year being made this fall, the
Curriculum Publishing Program Area (CPPA) in the Congregational Ministries
Division here has sent out the free samples, along with a price list, a
budget planning sheet and an order card for more samples.

    A complete catalog of PC(USA) curriculum resources is due out in
January.

    In addition, CPPA has organized a network of curriculum experts,
appointed by their presbyteries, called POINT (Presbyterians Organized In
Nurture and Teaching) to demonstrate the new materials and answer questions
and provide feedback to CPPA from the churches in their presbyteries.  CPPA
associate director Donna Blackstock says that 80 percent of the
denomination's 173 presbyteries have appointed POINT persons.

    The success of the new curricula are essential.  "Right now about 34
percent of Presbyterian churches are using denominational curricula," CPPA
interim publisher James Marchal told the Presbyterian News Service.  "We'll
be all right if more than 40 percent use the new materials and we'd really
love to see at least 50 percent of our churches use them.  We believe this
is state-of-the-art curriculum that Presbyterians should be proud to use."

    More information is available by calling CPPA at (502) 569-5756 or by
visiting its Web site at <pcusa.org/pcusa/currpub>.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org