From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Education Funding a "Moral Issue,": Religious Leaders

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 28 Sep 1999 07:23:29

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

106NCC9/28/99 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NOTE TO EDITORS AND REPORTERS: The NCC's support for this
appeal to Congress is part of the Council's broader work
since at least 1963 for quality public education for all
children.  Elements include a pilot project in Pennsylvania,
co-endorsement of guidelines on what public schools and
religious institutions can do together, and a proposed
policy, "The Churches and the Public Schools at the Close of
the 20th Century," expected to receive final approval at the
NCC's General Assembly this November in Cleveland.  On
September 30 in Washington, D.C., the NCC will sponsor a
day-long dialogue on the statement.  Call 212-870-2227 for
further information.

REAUTHORIZATION OF EDUCATION ACT FRAMED AS A "MORAL ISSUE"

 September 28, 1999, WASHINGTON. D.C. - Religious
leaders' appealing to Congress to reauthorize, indeed
strengthen, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act frame
it as "a deeply moral issue," reminding senators and
representatives that "education is the only possible escape
from poverty" for millions of poor children.

 Representing 13 organizations including the National
Council of Churches, the Christian, Jewish and other signers
of a letter delivered Sept. 24 to all members of Congress
especially press the importance of the federal Title I
program, designed to compensate for the "uneven and unfair"
local tax base for education.

They ask Congress to resist efforts to convert the
Title I program into block grants to the states, urge work
to ensure that Title I funds are targeted to the schools
serving the highest percentages of very poor families and to
the poorest school districts, and "oppose accountability
provisions in Title I that could result in denial of
educational services for the very children who need them
most.

 Further, they support strong funding for bilingual
education under Title VII, stating, "Increased funding is
needed for teacher training and for strong programs in
English as a second language.  We believe all children
should learn English.  However, as people of faith who
reflect many cultures, we also understand the need for each
student to see himself/herself reflected in the curriculum
through bilingual and multicultural programs."  The full
text of the letter follows, along with a list of signers.

September 24,1999
Dear Senator/Representative:

We are writing on behalf of many within the religious
community to urge your consideration of one of the great
moral issues facing the 106th Congress - the Reauthorization
of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.  As
Christians, Jews, and other people of faith, we act in the
awareness that children are a gift of God, made in God's
image.  The prophetic call for justice for the poor and
excluded and Jesus' deep concern for "the least of these"
reminds us that there are no more vulnerable, less fortunate
persons than children in poverty.  Because education is the
only possible escape from poverty for millions of these
children, reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary
Education Act is a deeply moral issue.  As you consider all
the options presented to you in the upcoming debate, we urge
you to keep several fundamental principles in mind:

Maintain the overall objective of the highly successful,
federal Title I program, and resist efforts to convert it
into block grants to the states.

 The federal Title I program was designed in 1965 (1) to
compensate for what expert agree is the uneven and unfair
tax base for education at the local level due to reliance on
property tax, and (2) to address the correlation of low
student achievement with family poverty.  A strong federal
Title I program is even more important during the 1999
Reauthorization for two reasons:

 During the past 35 years, the poor have been increasingly
abandoned in the urban core by the middle class who have
moved to the suburbs; declining student achievement is
correlated with the isolation and concentration of
families in poverty in specific districts and specific
schools, and with the virtual resegregation of urban
schools in America.

 State governments have done a poor job of compensating
for disparities in local tax base; according to the U.S.
General Accounting Office, across the country school
funding in wealthy districts in 1998 averaged 24% more
than in poor districts, even though residents of poor
districts taxed themselves at higher rates.

Work to ensure that Title I funds are targeted (1) to the
schools serving the highest percentages of very poor
families, and (2) to the poorest school districts.

 Please expand target grant provisions to increase funding
for a district as its number of poor children increases.

 Please expand school wide programs to encourage
comprehensive reform across the curriculum in a high
poverty school rather than mere pull-out programs.

Oppose accountability provisions in Title I that could
result in denial of educational services for the very
children who need them most.

 A better plan is to support (1) staff development and
(2) efforts to spread the word about best practices among
all districts receiving Title I funding.

Support strong funding for bilingual education under Title
VII.

 Increased funding is needed for teacher training and
for strong programs in English as a second language.  We
believe all children should learn English.  However, as
people of faith who reflect many cultures, we also
understand the need for each student to see herself/himself
reflected in the curriculum through bilingual and
multicultural programs.  Affirming the cultures of all
children increases educational opportunity.

We seek your support for increased funding for federal
compensatory education in Title I and bilingual programs in
Title VII of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.  We
firmly oppose devolving these responsibilities to the states
through block grants.  Nothing is more critical to the
future of the United States than ensuring that the
Elementary and Secondary Education Act is adequately funded
and that it continues to target funds to the most needy
students.

Sincerely,

Ann Delorey, Church Women United
Herbert Blinder, American Ethical Union, Washington Ethical
Action Office
Lois M. Dauway, The United Methodist Church, Women's
Division
Rev. Elenora Giddings Ivory, Presbyterian Church (USA),
Washington Office
Thomas H. Hart, The Episcopal Church
Rev. Jay Lintner, National Council of the Churches of Christ
in the USA
Curtis Ramsey-Lucas, National Ministries, American Baptist
Churches USA
James H. Matlack, American Friends Service Committee
Dr. Henry M. Smith, American Jewish Congress
Kenneth Sutton, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious
Society of Friends
The Rev. Dr. Thom White Wolf Fassett, General Board of
Church and Society, The United Methodist Church
Rt. Rev. Dr. Zacharias Mar Theophius, Mar Thoma Church
Rev. Jay Lintner, United Church of Christ

-end-
 -0-