From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

‘Worship wars' topic of lecture series

From "Disciples Off. of Communication"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 29 Sep 1999 11:35:33

Date: September 29, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
E-mail: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99a-64

By Don Lanier, Director of Public Relations, Phillips Theological Seminary

	TULSA (DNS) - - Peace is possible in the worship wars some congregations
are facing but it won't come fast and it probably won't be easy, according
to one authority.  Author and minister O.I. "Cricket" Harrison, of Twin
Falls, Idaho, made that prediction recently at Phillips Theological
Seminary in Tulsa, Okla.

	She was the featured speaker at the annual Oreon E. Scott lectures hosted
by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) - related seminary. The
theme, "Beyond the Worship Wars" focused on the turmoil many congregations
are in as some members cling to traditional worship forms while others
press for contemporary variations.

	Harrison said the controversy could be a blessing if it causes the
congregation to study what worship is.  She urges congregations to ask
"who is God, and what does God want of us in this place and in this
time?"

	The minister of the congregation, she suggested, should invite the
musicians of the church, the elders and deacons to explore what is
authentic worship for them.  She also proposes a series of evenings when
people in the congregations could tell what music touches their souls and
why.

	"It makes a difference," she said, " if this particular hymn or
contemporary song means a lot to you.  It may not be my music, but if it
speaks to your soul - - and you tell me why it does - - then I am more
likely to try to appreciate it."

	Harrison also described worship as "a habitat," which she admitted is a
new concept she is still refining. "Worship," she said, "is a habitat in
which God and the congregation dwell. It is where people experience God's
presence."  It is in this habitat that people discover who they are and
who they are to be.

	Christian worship can occur in various forms, she noted. She believes
experimentation could be a good idea if it follows careful study and
preparation by the congregation. "Worship is the response of the people to
the goodness of God. It can take many forms, and can be expressed in many
ways," she said.  But changes should be made for the right reasons, which
will likely become clear after serious theological reflection and a period
of listening and learning from one another.

	The Rev. Cricket Harrison, in addition to being pastor of Valley
Christian Church in Twin Falls, Idaho, helped create the Chalice Hymnal
and is co-editor of Chalice Worship. She is pursuing a Ph.D. degree at
Claremont (Calif.) School of Theology.

	The lecture series is endowed by the Oreon E. Scott Foundation, which is
administered by the Christian Church Foundation.

                                    	- -  end - -