From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

News Briefs

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 07 Oct 1999 13:28:10

For further information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-149

News Briefs

Priest at center of heresy controversy resigns his parish

     (ENS) The Rev. Barry Stopfel, whose ordination to the
diaconate as an openly gay man living in a relationship
precipitated a heresy trial, has resigned from his parish.

     While calling his 10 years in ministry, the last six at a
thriving New Jersey parish, "deeply gratifying but very
stressful," he said that it had strained his relationship with
his partner, the Rev. Will Leckie. The couple has moved to a farm
and orchard in the Amish countryside in Pennsylvania.

     Stopfel said that he will write a new book, following a
previous book he and Leckie wrote, "Courage to Love." This one
will deal with the spiritual quest of people who have been
disenchanted with organized religion.

     Parishioners at St. George's Church in Maplewood expressed
disappointment and sadness but some said that they had welcomed
homosexuals before Stopfel became their rector and would continue
to do so in the future. One long-time member admitted that there
were some difficult moments. "The church pulled together and was
supportive of Barry and gay rights," said Tilly-Jo Emerson. "Yet
we paid a price from constantly having to respond to the ugliness
out there," she told a local reporter.

     Stopfel said that the parish had a reputation for welcoming
everyone. "Among gays and non-gays St. George's has become an
icon, representing the circle of God's love that includes
everyone."

     Stopfel was ordained a deacon by Bishop Walter Righter, who
was then accused of heresy and the charges went to the court for
the trial of a bishop. The court decided that the ordination did
not violate any core doctrine of the church.

     Some of the trauma from the trial still lingers, Stopfel
said in a press interview. "For queers, hate is a day-to-day
business," he said. "It is more hurtful when it comes from an
institution that is supposed to represent God's love."

     He said that he reached his decision after a short sabbatical
at his farm, finally coming to grips with the toll on his "psyche
and spirit." He told the Newark Star-Ledger, "Will and I lived
our relationship publicly from the very beginning, which is
something a rector and spouse do without all the media.
I felt it was time to not live so much in public."

     Stopfel said that he might explore some other ways of
ministering outside of the traditional parish--perhaps reaching
out to those who have left the church because of its inability to
handle their concerns and questions on a whole range of spiritual
and social issues. "I want to start an independent ministry for
people with serious questions, who want to find a spiritual
path," he told a reporter. "I believe the Episcopal Church has
the elasticity to do that."

Cape Town will host century's last great inter-faith event

     (ENI) Table Mountain, in Cape Town, South Africa, will be
the gathering place, from December 1 to 8, for nearly 8,000
spiritual and religious leaders from around the world who will
participate in the Parliament of the World's Religions.

     According to the organizers, the Chicago-based Council for a
Parliament of World Religions (CPWR), the gathering will be more
than a scholarly inter-religious dialogue, it will also be a
celebration and joyful sharing of different faiths by salt-of-
the-earth, grass-roots believers. It would offer "countless
opportunities for discovery and inquiry, enabling participants to
meet their own and others' traditions at deeper levels.
Participants will encounter others whose practice, work and
commitment can enrich their own."

     Among the many religious leaders expected to attend are: the
Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists world-wide;
Dr. Abdullah Omar Nasseef of Saudi Arabia, president of the World
Muslim Congress; Sir Sigmund Sternberg of London, from the
International Conference of Christians and Jews; Maha Ghosananda,
Supreme Patriarch of Cambodia Buddhism; Master Hsying Yun of
Taiwan, founder of the Fo Kuang Shan Buddhist Order; Christian
theologian Hans Kung from Germany, principal author of the 1993
Parliament document, Towards a Global Ethic: An Initial
Declaration; renowned Hindu leader Swami Chidananda of India; and
Christian feminist theologian Chung Hyun Kyung of South Korea.

     Jane Kennedy, of CPWR in Cape Town, denied that this
conglomeration of divergent beliefs would lead to syncretism. She
also said the event would not only bring together theologians and
academics, but also lay people. "We want to honor and fall in
love with our differences, and see God in our differences. We
will have a wide cross-section in Cape Town, so that the inter-

faith gathering becomes a celebration of our diversity instead of a
leveling out of our beliefs, a celebration instead of a fear of
our differences."

     The themes of the 1999 Parliament are "Encountering Religion
and Spirituality," "Making Connections," "Calling for Creative
Engagements" and "Offering Gifts of Service."

Greek Orthodox Church in U.S. has new leader

     (ENI) Archbishop Demetrios was enthroned on September 18, in
a ceremony in New York, as the new leader of the Greek Orthodox
Church of America.

     Addressing an audience of more than 1,000 people, which
included Hillary Rodham Clinton, leading New York political
figures and heads of other U.S. churches, at the Cathedral of the
Holy Trinity in Manhattan, Demetrios called on the Orthodox
church in the United States to move beyond recent differences and
controversies.

     "Without fear or hesitation, we are invited, beloved
brothers and sisters, to set aside any differences,
misunderstanding or conflict that could create differences among
us, distances that shake the unity and drive away the peace of
God," he said.

     Demetrios, former Metropolitan of Vresthena in Greece, has
strong ties to the U.S., including teaching experience at Harvard
University and at a Greek Orthodox seminary in the U.S. He was
named in August to succeed Archbishop Spyridon, who had resigned
earlier in the month, after a three-year tenure that was fraught
with controversy over his time spent in Europe and not on
developing his pastoral skills in the U.S.

     According to reports, the controversy grew so bitter that
some lay people talked openly of the establishment of a Greek
Orthodox church in the U.S., independent of the Ecumenical
Patriarchate of Constantinople, to which the archdiocese belongs.

     Greek Orthodox American Leaders (GOAL), the lay group that
led opposition to Spyridon, declared that the "crisis of
governance" within the church had been resolved and that GOAL was
now being disbanded, its goals "miraculously accomplished."

     In a statement, GOAL's leaders said they were confident that
Demetrios would, among other things, "exercise ecclesial
authority properly" and "enhance our Orthodox witness in
America." "We feel confident that he will be a good and faithful
steward of our archdiocese."

     Archbishop Iakovos, Spyridon's predecessor, who led the
archdiocese for more than three decades before retiring,
participated in the enthronement ceremony by passing Demetrios
the gold staff that symbolizes his authority as archbishop.

Monks fear tourists will be tempted to site where Jesus withstood
Satan

     (ENI) To the dismay of monks at the Greek Orthodox Monastery
of Temptation, the site that according to ancient Christian
history Jesus resisted the temptation of Satan is about to become
a major tourist attraction.

     According to a report, for $8 a cable car, able to transport
625 visitors a hour, will travel five minutes to a point
alongside the monks' sanctuary, which overlooks the entire
Jericho area. The developers hope that pilgrims will prefer this
fast option to the walking path, which takes about 30 minutes.
And unlike Jesus, who, according to the gospels of Mark (1: 13),
Matthew (4: 1-11) and Luke (4: 1-13) fasted for 40 days before or
during the encounter with the Devil, visitors will be able to
feast in two restaurants serving Arab-French cuisine. One
restaurant is at the base of the mountain and the other is built
into the side of the mountain, adjacent to a series of ancient
caves, where Christian hermits lived from the 12th to the 14th
centuries.

     The monastery's three resident monks remain hospitable, but
feel increasingly under siege as they prepare for a record number
of tourists.

     Ahillios, one of the monks, said that putting in the cable
car meant that everything would change. "It is good for the
Palestinian economy, but we must keep the holy places. A
monastery is a monastery," he said, adding that the emphasis on
monastic life was at risk. "I don't want to say more about this."

     For many years the monks have been serving refreshments to
handfuls of grateful pilgrims who have made the trek, often in
the searing heat of summer. But if the cable car operates at full
capacity, the monks will be receiving countless more visitors.

     Tourists will also be able to stay overnight at a three-star
hotel, next to the base station of the cable car, and buy
handicrafts from a series of souvenir shops.

     The owners, the Snukeret family of Hebron, have put about
$10 million into the project. One monk, who has lived at the
monastery for 15 years, told the family that if Jesus had climbed
the mountain path 2000 years ago, then tourists could do the
same.

     Ziegfreid Reidmann, a German Lutheran pilgrim to the mount,
said that the development would be welcomed by visitors who now
had easier access to the site. But, he added, it would also
shatter quiet contemplation for resident monks. The whole
development in the future will go in the direction of Disneyland
and tourist attractions, and so it goes further away from the
original story, as it happened to Jesus," he said.

Old Catholic Church ordains first Dutch woman priest

     (ENI) The Netherlands' first woman priest was ordained on
September 18. Grete Verhey-de Jager, was ordained in the Old
Catholic Church of Utrecht by Archbishop Antonius-Jan Glazemaker.

     "With women in office, I hope that there will be more
integrity in the church, and also that ordinary churchgoers will
relate more easily to the priest," said Verhey.

     A report stated that Verhey's decision to seek ordination
had not been her own. "The idea came from the people with whom I
work daily," she said. Before being ordained, Verhey worked for
the church in two small villages, Oudewater and Schoonhoven, and
visited people in a local hospital.

     The Old Catholic Church still has a special relationship
with the Roman Catholic Church from which it broke away in the
18th century, and there is still partial recognition by the
Vatican of the ordained clergy of the Old Catholic Church.
However, Verhey said she expected the Vatican to declare her
ordination invalid.

     In an interview, she agreed that her ordination could be a
new obstacle to relations between her church and the Roman
Catholic Church. But she added, "What is the aim of ecumenism? If
you want to unite with the Roman Catholic Church, you may as well
stop most ecumenical activities. If your aim is to learn from
each other's traditions, to enrich each other and to work
together on special occasions, then why would my ordination be an
obstacle?"

     Nonetheless, she has no ambitions to become a bishop. "My
strength and my biggest interest at this moment are pastoral
work," Verhey said.

     As recently as 1976 the International Bishops' Conference
(IBC) - uniting the leaders of the world's Old Catholic churches
- declared that the priesthood would not be opened to women. But
in 1982 the IBC decided that women could become deacons, the
first step on the way to priestly ordination. Then the Old
Catholic Church in Germany ordained women priests, followed by
the Old Catholic churches in Austria and Switzerland.

U.S. Conference of WCC will focus on reconciliation

     (WCC) One year after the World Council of Churches' (WCC)
Eighth Assembly in Harare, Zimbabwe, the WCC's United States
Conference will meet in Atlanta, Georgia, December 9 to 11 to
weigh the Assembly's impact on the life and witness of U.S.
churches.

     Archbishop Desmond Tutu, in residence at Emory University in
Atlanta, Professor Miroslav Volf of Yale Divinity School, and Dr.
Marion Best, Canadian church leader, will either make
presentations or lead discussions on the theme, "Reconciled in
Christ: The Churches' Ministry of Reconciliation."

     Konrad Raiser, WCC general secretary, will address the
conference on the reconciling role of churches in a turbulent
world and U.S. Conference board members, church leaders and WCC
staff from Geneva, Switzerland, will lead workshops on the theme.

     Highlights of the program will include the installation of
the Rev. Kathryn Bannister, one of eight presidents of the WCC,
as moderator of the U.S. Conference. Conferees will also visit
the crypt of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who was slated to
address the Council's 1968 Assembly in Uppsala, Sweden, before he
was assassinated.

     For additional information contact: Philip E. Jenks,
Communications Officer, U.S. Office, WCC 212-870-3193; Fax: 212-
870-2528, E-Mail: WorldCoun@mail.wcc-coe.org

Argentina Protestants demand same rights as Catholics

     (ENI) More than 200,000 Protestants took part in a march in
Argentina on September 11 to urge the national government to pass
a new law giving equal legal status to all denominations.

     Currently, Protestant churches and non-Christian religious
organizations are not officially recognized by the state. The
only religious body with official status and the right to receive
financial support from the government is the Roman Catholic
Church.

     The demonstration, which brought together all the nation's
Protestant groupings, was organized by the new National Council
of Evangelical Churches. The council was set up in 1996 and
includes the Argentine Federation of Evangelical Churches (FAIE),
representing mainline Protestant churches; the Association of
Evangelical Churches in Argentina (ACIERA), representing mainly
Baptist and Free Churches; and the Confederation of Pentecostal
Churches.

     "We believe this demonstration has been of great importance for
our churches and also for Argentine society," said Emilio
Monti, from the Methodist Church in Argentina. "It has shown that
Protestant churches can come together and have one voice when
demanding their rights. It has also shown that the renewal that
is taking place in our churches throughout the country helps us
to overcome old, denominational barriers and prejudices. We
couldn't have dreamt of anything similar five years ago. But now
we are ready to go on working in inter-denominational dialogue
and in search of a common witness."

     The gathering included scripture readings, songs, prayers,
and a public reading of a document demanding a new law" on
Religious Entities. The document also addresses the concerns of
the Protestant churches on issues ranging from corruption in
government to violence on city streets.

     Monti said that the protest would start a new dialogue with
the authorities, the politicians and the press. "We know that
after this expression of opinion, the Protestant churches will be
taken into account by everybody. This is a great opportunity, but
also a great challenge."

U.S. TV series lists 'top ten religion stories' of the millennium

     (ENI) Spurred by what it calls "millennial fever," Religion
and Ethics Newsweekly, a PBS program, compiled a list of what it
describes as the top ten religion stories of the past 1,000
years.

     Among the choices made were the split of Christianity into
Eastern and Western branches; the Crusades; and Martin Luther's
95 Theses, a key event in the development of Protestantism. The
19th-century questioning of religious ideas by Charles Darwin and
Karl Marx also made the list. Only one 20th century event, the
Holocaust, was selected.

     The program's presenter, Bob Abernethy, said the list, made
by the staff of the series in consultation with scholars,
included a heavy emphasis on Christianity and Europe. "It was
that kind of millennium," he said, adding that the audience might
very well find the list "arbitrary or just plain wrong."

     Viewers were quick to post their suggestions on the
program's web site, with several wishing the list had included
mention of the development of the Baha'i faith. Another viewer
added his suggestion that scholastic theology and Gregorian chant
should have been included; another wondered why the Inquisition
and the campaigns against Native Americans on the American
frontier had been omitted.

     Kurt Hendel, who teaches historical and systematic theology at
the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago, said that it would
be "difficult to argue with any of the 10 topics that were
chosen," though the focus on Christianity and the West was an
"obvious limitation."

     He added, "I do see some important gaps, even as one focuses
on Christian history and on the West," he said. "Perhaps the most
important and lasting development of the Middle Ages, the great
scholastic tradition, is not mentioned. Mysticism and
particularly humanism are also ignored. The Enlightenment, which
literally transformed the world view of the Western world, is not
part of the list."

     The list follows in chronological order: The Great Schism;
The Crusades; The Spread of Islam; The Gutenberg Bible; Church
support of art, music and intellectual life; Martin Luther's 95
Theses; Missionary movements; Religious Liberty; Challenges to
religious ideas in the 19th century; and The Holocaust.

Bulgarian Orthodox Church 'to leave' CEC

     (ENI) The Bulgarian Orthodox Church has announced that it is
withdrawing from the Conference of European Churches (CEC), one
of Europe's main inter-church bodies, which has more than 120
Protestant, Anglican and Orthodox members.

     However, according to CEC's rules, the withdrawal will
become effective only on December 28, six months after the
receipt, of the official notification of the decision of the
church to terminate its membership.

     The news of the decision of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
became known during a September 21 to 26 CEC central committee
meeting in Nyborg, Denmark.

     According to a report, no reason for the resignation has
been given, although the Bulgarian Orthodox Church last year also
withdrew from membership of the World Council of Churches (WCC).

     In recent years there has been increasing criticism from
within Orthodox churches about the activities of ecumenical
organizations, which are perceived by some as being too dominated
by Protestant churches and overly influenced by liberal
theological trends. In 1997, the Georgian Orthodox Church
resigned from both the WCC and CEC. The situation in Bulgaria is
also complicated by a continuing power struggle within the
country's Orthodox Church, despite a recent agreement to patch up
a split between two rival church leaderships.

     CEC leaders hope that the six-month period before the

resignation becomes effective will allow time for further discussions,
and possibly a change of heart by the church. (Last
year, the Baptist Union of the Czech Republic announced its
resignation from CEC but then rescinded its decision within the
six-month waiting period following discussions with CEC
officials.)

     Dr. Keith Clements, CEC's general secretary, said that the
news from Bulgaria had been received with "great sadness, not
least because many contacts continue with members of the
Bulgarian Orthodox Church."

     Asked whether CEC was facing a similar situation to that of
the WCC, where representatives of Orthodox churches have called
for major changes in the organization's structure and ethos,
Clements said that these questions had not been raised "in the
same way" within CEC.

     "CEC has always been their organization from the beginning,"
Clements said during the meeting of the central committee,
pointing out that the participation in CEC of Orthodox churches
from eastern Europe went back to the earliest days of CEC's
foundation in 1959, unlike the situation in the WCC, where most
Eastern Orthodox churches joined only after 1961, 13 years after
the foundation of the WCC.

Anglicans welcome first Belizean women priests

     (Anglican News) The Anglican community in Belize celebrated
two historic events on May 15 at St. John's Cathedral with its
first triple ordination and its first ordination of women
priests.

     Assisted by Anglican clergymen from all over the country,
the Right Rev. Sylvestre Romero ordained Canstancio Apolonario
Perez and Belizes' first two women priests, Lynda Carmita Moguel
and Ilona Smiling.

     Moguel was deacon in charge of St. Peter's Church in Orange
Walk Town and assisted at All Saints Church in Belize City. She
is executive director of the Association of Tertiary Level
Institutions of Belize and president of the Mothers Union in the
Diocese of Belize.

     Smiling was deacon and assistant to the priest in charge of
St. John's Cathedral and St. Mark's Hattieville. She obtained a
Bachelor of Science degree in public administration from the
University of the West Indies in Jamaica. She is an insurance
consultant with G.A. Harrison Pilgrim Services in Belize City.

     Perez is a trained teacher and principal of St. Luke's
School in Lemonal in rural Belize District. He was deacon in
charge of St. Luke's Church at Lemonal, St. Philip's at Willows
Bank and St. Stephen's at Flowers Bank. He also served the
congregation at Double Head Cabbage.

     The newly ordained priests were the first to graduate from a
four-year course at the Anglican Theological Institute in Belize
City. They were the first to receive all of their advanced
theological training in Belize.

Solo Flight breaking new ground for the Episcopal Church

     (ENS) Solo Flight, the only national effort for single
adults in the Episcopal Church, will turn 10 years old next year.
Plans for a Distant Learning Leadership Training program, liaison
with the Episcopal Network for Evangelism and a new Winterflight
Conference were announced at the annual conference at Kanuga
September 4 and 5.

     Single people ranging in age from 23 to 80 came from 36
dioceses in the Episcopal Church to attend this year's
conference, entitled "Single and Standing on Sacred Threshold."
Participants spent four days in workshops, discussions, small
groups, morning and evening chapel services, fellowship and
listening to keynote presentations by several speakers.

     Ted Mollegen, chair of the Episcopal Network for Evangelism,
said he plans to introduce a proposal at the General Convention
in Denver to fund the ministry of Solo Flight and provide a site
per year until four additional sites exist in various parts of
the country. "People who are struggling with being alone have an
awful lot to offer other people. It is not just a single issue.
It's a human issue. The church needs them."

     For more information visit the Solo Flight web site at
http://home.earthlink.net/~singleministry.

Anti-Christian violence on the rise in India

     (Human Rights Watch) A September 30 report issued by Human
Rights Watch stated the Indian government has failed to prevent
increasing violence against Christians and is exploiting communal
tensions for political ends. The 37-page report, Politics by
Other Means: Attacks Against Christians in India, details
violence against Christians in the months prior to the country's
national parliamentary elections in September and October 1999,
and in the months following electoral victory by the Hindu
nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (Indian People's Party, known
as the BJP) in the state of Gujarat.

     The report stated that attacks against Christians throughout

the country have increased significantly since the BJP began its
rule in March 1998. They include the killings of priests, the
raping of nuns, and the physical destruction of Christian
institutions, schools, churches, colleges, and cemeteries.
Thousands of Christians have also been forced to convert to
Hinduism. The report concludes that as with attacks against
Muslims in 1992 and 1993, attacks against Christians are part of
a concerted campaign of right-wing Hindu organizations,
collectively called the sangh parivar, to promote or exploit
communal clashes to increase their political power base, The
movement is supported at the local level by militant groups who
operate with impunity.

     "Christians are the new scapegoat in India's political
battles," said Smita Narula, author of the report and researcher
for the Asia division of Human Rights Watch. "Without immediate
and decisive action by the government, communal tensions will
continue to be exploited for political and economic ends."

     The Hindu organizations most responsible for violence
against Christians are the Vishwa Hindu Panishad (World Hindu
Council, VHP), the Bajrang Dal, and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak
Sangh (National Volunteer Corps, RSS). According to a former RSS
member, these groups cannot be divorced from the ruling BJP
party: "There is no difference between the BJP and RSS. BJP is
the body. RSS is the soul, and the Bajrang Dal is the hands for
beating."

     The report documents patterns that are representative of
attacks across India. These include the role of sangh parivar
organizations and the local media in promoting anti-Christian
propaganda.

     Though eyewitnesses have identified politicians and local
officials as participants in attacks, the state administration
and Hindu nationalist leaders continue to portray the incidents
as actions instigated by minority communities. The chief minister
of Gujarat and BJP spokesmen have even blamed the violence on an
"international conspiracy" to defame the political party. The
Prime Minister has called for a national debate on conversions,
signaling tacit justification for the motives underlying the
attacks. The central and state governments continue to ignore the
recommendations of the National Commission for Minorities.

     Human Rights Watch called on the Indian government to meet
its constitutional and international obligations to ensure that
religious minorities may equally enjoy freedom of conscience and
the right to freely profess, practice, propagate and adopt
religion. In particular, Indian officials should commit to taking
steps to prevent further violence and end impunity for campaigns
of violence and prosecute both state and private actors
responsible for the attacks.

NOTE: The full text of the report is available online at
http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/indiachr/

     The password is smita.

Joslin of Central New York will move to Diocese of New Jersey

     According to Bishop Clay Matthews of the Office of Pastoral
Development, Bishop David Joslin of Central New York has agreed
"to become the assisting bishop in the Diocese of New Jersey until
such time as the diocese elects and consecrates a new bishop, sometime
after September 30, 2001." Bishop Herbert Donovan has been serving
as interim, following the resignation of Bishop Joe Doss. Pointing out
that the diocese "has suffered intense divisions and needs someone
with the skills and compassion that David has demonstrated over the
past nine years in Central New York," Matthews said that, after a
meeting with the Standing Committee in New Jersey, they entered
into "a productive period of conversation which lead to an agreement
that Bishop Joslin would resign his position as diocesan bishop in Central
New York in order to be appointed assisting bishop of New Jersey."

The move requires consent from the church's bishops and, if received,
 Joslin would assume his new position by February 1, 2000. Matthews
assured the Standing Committee in Central New York that "the sacrifice
which is being asked of you was not entered into lightly but with the
confidence that your life together is well-defined and healthy." He
expressed gratitude for that sacrifice and concluded, "Your generosity
comes at a critical time in the life of the Diocese of New Jersey and is
appreciated by all."