From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Discrimination Against Religious Minorities Criticized

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 02 Oct 1999 06:24:47

October 1, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Special Report General Conference Annual Council 1999

Discrimination Against Religious Minorities Criticized in
Adventist Church Statement

Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. (ANN/APD)  In an official
statement voted September 29, Seventh-day Adventists
expressed concern for discrimination against religious
minorities in many parts of the world.

"Some nations have published lists of religious groups
described as potentially dangerous sects," says the statement.
"Anti-sect commissions have been set up, investigative
personnel have been trained, and restrictive laws passed.
Hundreds of thousands of innocent believers are now under
official suspicion and are treated as second-class citizens."

The statement, entitled  "Religious Minorities and Religious
Freedom:  A Statement of Commitment and Concern," was
voted at the Church's Annual Council, a meeting of 330
Adventists at the Church's World Headquarters in Silver
Spring, Maryland, which represents nearly 11 million Seventh-
day Adventists in 205 countries of the world.

"We expressed our concerns about violations of religious
freedom, but we also affirmed our commitment to promoting,
defending, and protecting religious freedom for everyone,
everywhere. Being concerned about others and practicing
what we preach must be a part of our Christian life," said Dr.
John Graz, director of Public Affairs and Religious Liberty at
the Church's World Headquarters.

The statement also emphasizes that "the law must be applied
evenly and without capricious favor. We submit that no
religious group should be judged because some adherents
may appear to be extremists.  Religious freedom is limited
when aggressive or violent behavior violates the human rights
of others."

The Annual Council, which opened on Tuesday evening,
September 28, will continue until October 7.

******

"Religious Minorities and Religious Freedom:
A Statement of Commitment and Concern"

Throughout history religious minorities have often been
subject to discrimination and outright persecution.  Today
religious intolerance and prejudice are again on the rise.
Notwithstanding the affirmation of the freedom of everyone to
hold and disseminate religious views and to change one's
religion-an affirmation sustained in the United Nations
instruments and documents comprising an "International Bill
of Rights"-many countries deny this right to their citizens.

International instruments condemn discrimination against
minorities, but tragically, some nations have published lists of
religious groups described as potentially dangerous sects.
Anti-sect commissions have been set up, investigative
personnel have been trained, and restrictive laws passed.
Hundreds of thousands of innocent believers are now under
official suspicion and are treated as second-class citizens.  All
this violates religious freedom, which is the most basic and
essential of the fundamental rights of humankind.  Seventh-
day Adventists believe in obeying the laws of the land as long
as they do not conflict with the laws of God.  However, we
oppose any law, policy, or activity which discriminates against
religious minorities.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church stands for religious
freedom for everyone, as well as for the separation of church
and state.  Scripture teaches that the God who gave life also
gave freedom of choice.  God only accepts homage that is
freely given.  Seventh-day Adventists further believe that the
law must be applied evenly and without capricious favor.  We
submit that no religious group should be judged because
some adherents may appear to be extremists.  Religious
freedom is limited when aggressive or violent behavior
violates the human rights of others.

In support of Article 18 of the United Nations Universal
Declaration of Human Rights and other international
instruments, and in harmony with its beliefs and its history,
the Seventh-day Adventist Church is fully committed to
promote, defend, and protect religious freedom for everyone,
everywhere.  To that end, we will continue to cooperate with
the United Nations Human Rights Commission and other
international agencies and religious organizations to
encourage every nation to implement the fundamental right of
religious freedom.  In addition, we will continue to promote
dialogue and better understanding between governmental
authorities and people who belong to religious minorities.