From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TYPHOON BART STRIKES HARD IN OKINAWA

From LEAH_MCCARTER.parti@ecunet.org (LEAH MCCARTER)
Date 01 Oct 1999 06:56:59

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

Typhoon Bart Strikes Hard in Okinawa

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

Typhoon Bart Strikes Hard in Okinawa

 Typhoon Bart swept through Okinawa, Japan, last
Wednesday and Thursday, bringing high winds and 19 inches of
rain within 24 hours that produced widespread damage to the
island.
 "Wednesday afternoon winds were clocked at 192 miles
per hour just a mile or so from our house," said Marty
Murray, International Ministries missionary to Okinawa.
"The winds and rain noise were so loud most of the evening
that we had to be right next to each other to hear the other
speak."
 "Damage was widespread over the island," according to
Murray, "most of it from the wind blowing trees over and
flooding when drains could not keep up."  About two dozen
people were injured and more than 110,000 homes were left
without power.  The Murrays' home had some minor water
damage.
 The Annual Meeting of the Okinawa Baptist Convention
did convene as scheduled on Thursday, although portable
generators had to be used when electricity went out at the
church where the meeting was taking place.
 The typhoon continued on a course through Japan's
southern islands of Japan late last week, claiming at least
22 lives there.

9/27/99
WFN927B
 -0-