From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Leaders Commend Clinton's Debt Relief Call

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 01 Oct 1999 10:34:37

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

110NCC9/30/99

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC LEADERS COMMEND PRESIDENT CLINTON'S DEBT RELIEF CALL
Call for Congressional Approval, Express Implementation
Concerns

 Sept. 30, 1999, NEW YORK ---- Leaders of the National
Council of Churches (NCC) commended President Clinton's
Sept. 29 call for cancellation of 100 percent of the debts
owed to the United States by many of the world's most
impoverished countries.

 "We thank President Clinton for recognizing the
importance of this matter, and commend him for his
leadership on this critical moral issue," said the Rev. Dr.
Joan Brown Campbell, NCC General Secretary.  "Now it is
critical that Congress support this request, and that
members act immediately to appropriate the necessary funds.
We also hope that other creditor governments follow the
example set by the United States."

 "This is great news to us, and shows that our Jubilee
2000 postcards, pins and petition signing had an impact,"
said the Rev. Dr. Rodney Page, Executive Director of Church
World Service and Witness, the NCC's humanitarian response
agency.  NCC/CWS has been a longtime and active member of
the Jubilee 2000 debt reduction campaign, drawing on the
networks in its 35 member communions to press the debt
relief issue.  In June, CWS released a lapel pin and
brochure in support of the campaign and sent samples to
1,200 denominational and ecumenical organizations.  The
brochure contained a detachable postcard to President
Clinton urging him to expand debt relief initiatives.

 Just this month, on Sept. 17, Dr. Page was among U.S.
religious leaders who met with Mr. James Wolfensohn,
President of the World Bank, to stress their urgent concern
for debt relief and spell out their evaluation of the
various debt relief programs and proposals.  "It wasn't
difficult to convince Mr. Wolfensohn of the moral strength
of our argument, but he stressed that it was going to be
necessary for the various World Bank members and
legislatures of the world to support it and come up with the
funds," Dr. Page said.

"President Clinton's pledge has major symbolic and
political significance," Dr. Page said.  "Although the
proposal he is supporting is not as expansive as that which
is envisioned by the Jubilee 2000 initiative, this is a big
step towards accomplishing our goals."

"We are simultaneously appreciative of the proposals by
the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank to
revise their approach to debt relief for these impoverished
countries," Dr. Page added.  "We thank the staff of these
bodies for working so hard to develop proposals that
represent a huge shift in the way these institutions
operate."

 At the same time, Dr. Page expressed concern about the
implementation process for these changes.  "If everything
goes as planned, there is potential for tremendous
improvement in how the world approaches debt relief and
economic development.  But the IMF and World Bank have not
worked closely together before, and operations will not be
transformed overnight.  It remains to be seen if efforts to
reduce poverty will take precedence over efforts to
stimulate economic growth.  We have many concerns about
fewer countries actually benefiting from this initiative
than we would like."

 Still, "being people of faith, we are hopeful for these
developments," Dr. Campbell said.  "We believe in the
strength of our common witness to change institutions, even
the most powerful international banks and weathiest nations.
We could all use a fresh start for the new millennium, and
the actions of this week may prove to be a huge step in this
direction."