From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kenya: Baptism of 1,787 Crowns Evangelism in Nairobi

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 02 Oct 1999 06:24:24

October 1, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Kenya: Baptism of 1,787 Crowns Family Life Seminars'
Evangelism in Nairobi

Nairobi, Kenya. (ANN/APD)  Seventh-day Adventists in
Nairobi, Kenya, are celebrating. A total of 1,787 people were
baptised and over 2,000 families renewed their wedding vows
August 28, at the conclusion of the Family Life Crusade in
Nairobi, Kenya.

The baptism brought to a conclusion the second stage of
outreach activities in 40 centres in the capital of Kenya.  It
took place at the Moi International Sports Ground and was the
crowning celebration of the Family Life Seminar evangelistic
outreach held by Pastor Jose Campos and Mrs. Adly Campos.

The Nairobi outreach was sponsored by the Adventist Church's
publishing department, which this year is celebrating 150
years of Adventist publishing ministry. Jose Campos is
associate publishing director at the Seventh-day Adventist
Church World Headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.  A
native of Mexico, Mrs. Adly Campos is a well known Adventist
evangelist. Her Nairobi outreach was sponsored by the
Ministerial Association of the Church. Since her arrival in
Nairobi on July 31, Mrs. Campos preached to packed
audiences every night.

"We presented the gospel message in the context of family
life," she said.  "The Bible truth can only enrich our home life.
We saw families, spouses and children dedicating themselves
to quality of life. Hundreds, even thousands pledged to lead
better lives in Kenya."

Speaking from her home after arrival from Kenya, Mrs.
Campos paid tribute to several Kenyan pastors and
evangelists whose leadership and preaching were prominent
in the evangelistic events throughout the city.

"We only praise God for what was accomplished in Nairobi.
And there is more to come," she added.

According to Samuel Misiani, director of Adventist World
Radio-Africa, after Mrs. Campos preached "some 680 new
people responded and indicated that they too would wish to
be baptised." The local evangelistic team is planning a series
of baptisms in September and October.

The Nairobi evangelism also brought together lay evangelists
from local congregations to observe and participate in the
training events. The Family Life Seminars dealt with such
topics as the role of women in society, quality of marriage,
family violence, child abuse, discipline and what constitutes
being a role model.

According to Jose Campos, the outreach involved literature
evangelists who distributed thousands of copies of Adventist
publications throughout Nairobi. Commenting on the Nairobi
outreach, Ron Appenzeller, publishing director at the Adventist
World Church Headquarters, said that "this was a clear
evidence that successful evangelism means partnership. It's
the persuasion of the spoken word, and the convincing
presentation of the written word supplies lasting results. We
praise the Lord for His leading in Nairobi."

Misiani reported that the stadium event and the baptism
ceremony was given nation-wide coverage by three different
TV stations. The evangelistic team was also received by the
President of Kenya, Daniel T. Arap Moi. The President was
invited to participate in what is termed as the "grand finale" of
the public evangelistic series planned for November 27.
[Editors: Ray Dabrowski with Samuel Misiani in Nairobi]