From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UN Under-Secretary Shares Concerns with Adventists

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 02 Oct 1999 06:24:35

October 1, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Special Report General Conference Annual Council 1999

United Nations Under-Secretary Shares Concerns with
Adventist Leaders

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. 01.10.1999/ANN/APD
Ambassador Joseph Reed, Under-Secretary-General of the
United Nations (UN), met with Seventh-day Adventist Church
leaders September 30 to provide an update on the UN's
current situation and to discuss matters of mutual concern.

Speaking to the Church's 330-strong Annual Council,
Ambassador Reed shared his positive experiences of the
Church.

"I consider myself a friend of Seventh-day Adventists, and my
experience at Loma Linda University was 'off the chart,'" he
said. "I consider myself part of your world." He had met Elder
Neal Wilson, former Adventist Church President, some years
previously and had developed a good friendship, he said.

Speaking of "Your United Nations," Reed said the organization
was not "a luxury of international life," but provided the "only
machinery for cooperation between all nations for peace,
security, development, human rights and international law."

He also highlighted some ongoing developments of concern.

"We see the rise of violent confrontation in the modern world,
especially in ethnic tension and religious fundamentalism, that
needs to be addressed. We continue to have debate on the
reform of the UN, for we will only succeed as we adapt. We
also face severe budgetary problems due to the arrears in
payment of major contributors, especially the US whose debt
to the UN currently stands at $1.7 billion."

In closing, Reed appealed to the Adventist delegates to
support the UN.

"We leave a century of unparalleled suffering and violence,"
he said. "The UN needs the respect and support of the world's
people. We need you."

Dr. Jan Paulsen, president of the Adventist World Church,
responded by identifying areas of mutual interest and
concern.

"In many ways our values and objectives as a Church overlap
with those of the UN," said Paulsen. "This is particularly true
in areas of tolerance, acceptance, religious liberty and
development aid, as witnessed by both the Adventist
Development and Relief Agency and the International
Religious Liberty Association being recognized by the UN.
Words that you have used such as freedom, human rights,
development, education and a commitment to hope are
frequently used in the vocabulary of the Church. They are
values to which we are deeply and strongly committed."

The Church's Annual Council heard reports of the growth in
membership and the number of churches. At the end of 1998
there was a total of 44,888 churches in 205 countries around
the world, as well as 44,298 church groups. World
membership was 10,163,414, and the total joining the Church
in 1998 was 818,754.

In his keynote address, Dr. Jan Paulsen identified the Church's
primary emphasis on outreach and spoke of plans to establish
a new Advisory Council of Evangelism and Witness.
"Its purpose would be (1) to focus our thinking and planning
on witness, (2) to advise on specific multi-divisional initiatives,
and (3) to make financial recommendations to our budgeting
process," said Paulsen. "When all is said and done, if there is
any Church that should have such a council with a deliberate
witness-agenda, it is the Seventh-day Adventist Church,
because mission is why we are here. Witness for our Lord is
the one thing that must succeed."

The Annual Council, which opened on Tuesday evening,
September 28, will continue until October 7. It is composed of
Church delegates from around the world. [Reporting Editor:
Jonathan Gallagher]