From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Congressional Panel Restores Funding for School of the Americas

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 04 Oct 1999 20:07:06

4-October-1999
99324

    Congressional Panel Restores Funding
    for School of the Americas

    Pastor Says Church Has a `Spiritual and Moral' Obligation
    to Keep Fighting to Close Controversial Academy

    by Evan Silverstein

WASHINGTON - Many Presbyterians hoped last summer's convincing House vote
to trim funding for the controversial School of the Americas (SOA) would be
the first step toward shutting it down.

    After a decade of fighting on Capital Hill and demonstrating at the
Pentagon, SOA opponents finally scored a congressional victory in July,
when the House of Representatives approved an amendment to reduce funding
of a program that enables foreign students to attend the training center at
Fort Benning, Ga.

    Last month, however, a Senate-House conference committee voted 8-7 to
reverse the funding cut - although the House had approved it by a 33-vote
margin.

    SOA opponents knew the measure was unlikely to survive in the
conference committee - and also knew that the proposed cut wouldn't close
the school even if it were approved.

    "Shame on them," said Meta Ukena, a former chair of the Presbyterian
Peace Fellowship, which has long been active in the anti-SOA campaign. "We
were disappointed, but at the same time strengthened by the closeness of
the (conference committee) vote. We'll keep coming back - back to Congress.
We'll keep up with the protests until this damn thing is closed."

    Opponents said their spirits were not dampened by the setback. They
vowed to keep fighting for the closing of the U.S. Army-operated military
school sometimes called the "School of the Assassins," because its
graduates include dictators, soldiers and paramilitary officers linked to
human-rights abuses in Latin America.

    In 1994, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) became the first religious
denomination to adopt an official policy of calling for the SOA to be
closed. Since then, church members, notably those of the Presbyterian Peace
Fellowship, have taken part in numerous non-violent demonstrations.

    "No, not a shock, but a big disappointment," said the Rev. Leonard
Bjorkman, Peace Fellowship co-chair, when asked about the restoration of
the budget cuts. "We know that we're in a real uphill battle, and we're
prepared to stay for the long haul, until the school is closed."

    Bjorkman's co-chair, Marilyn White, had a similar reaction.

    "I am very disappointed that the Conference Committee did not support
the will of the House of Representatives," said White, who was arrested in
May during a protest at the Pentagon after she painted images of SOA
victims on a sidewalk.

     "The debate in the House was very convincing in establishing that the
SOA is an obsolete artifact of the Cold War, and does not deserve another
penny of our taxes," White continued. "As for the Presbyterian Peace
Fellowship, we will continue to oppose the School of Americas until it is
closed for good."

    On July 29, the House voted 230-197 to cut the fund. That was the first
conclusive House vote against SOA, but the measure died when House and
Senate members met on Sept. 22 to iron out differences between their
versions of next year's spending bills for foreign operations - including
$2 million for SOA.

    Eight House members of the committee, all Republicans, outvoted six
Democrats and one Republican to overturn the House vote and maintain
funding for the school.

    An SOA official said in a recently published report that the
committee's vote is a reflection of the importance of the school.

    "We are very excited, and we feel that finally the American people,
through Congress, have decided that the school is needed; and we're happy
that it is over," said SOA spokesman Nicholas Britto.

    Bjorkman said SOA is actually a symbol of a misguided U.S. policy in
Latin America, and it is up to the church to continue fighting to close the
school because it has a "spiritual and moral" obligation "to repent for the
sins of the past of our government."

    "We will have to stick with this for years to come," Bjorkman said by
phone from Calvary Presbyterian Church in Auburn, N.Y., where he is interim
pastor, "because the people there (in Latin America) need to have a
relationship with us that is really one that fosters their lives, and not
just fosters them as places for cheap labor while American CEOs make
millions."

    If the amendment been sustained, opponents of the SOA would have won
only a moral victory; the budget cut would have had little impact on the
school. However, the school's foes had hoped that their House victory would
signal that the school should be closed, according to Rep. Joe Moakley,
D-Mass., the congressional leader of school opponents.

    Karin Walser, a spokesperson for Rep. Joe Moakley, D-Mass., the leader
of SOA opponents in the House, said Moakley "feels that the House sent a
very clear message to the United States Army that it wants the school
closed."

    The committee's vote has no effect on House and Senate bills calling
for the school's outright closing. SOA opponents have a year to gather
enough co-sponsors to bring the bills to a vote.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org