From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Council Makes Outreach Top Priority

From "Beckett, John" <BeckettJ@gc.adventist.org>
Date 05 Oct 1999 13:42:25

ANN Bulletin
Adventist News Network
Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters
October 5, 1999

Church Council Makes Outreach Top Priority
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA .... [ANN]

At its Annual Council meeting on October 4, the Seventh-day Adventist
Church's world leadership voted to endorse the setting up of an Advisory
Council on Evangelism and Witness.

"We want to have a creative forum on evangelism and witness with a broad
mandate and a sharp focus on the things we value highly," said Dr. Jan
Paulsen, president of the Adventist Church. "This Council will have
wide-ranging terms of reference and international composition to examine a
wide range of ideas and concepts."

Many Council members spoke in support of this new initiative.

"We were lacking such a body to coordinate outreach strategy, and I want to
express my support for this new initiative," said Mario Veloso, associate
secretary at the Adventist Church Headquarters.

"Up until now we have been dealing all along with business as usual in our
Church," commented Roger Robertsen, leader of the Adventist Church in
Norway. "Now we are responding to real needs and objectives for the Church's
mission."

The Annual Council, which opened on Tuesday evening, September 28, will
continue until October 7. It is composed of 330 Church delegates from around
the world. [Jonathan Gallagher]

Contact Information:
Communications Department
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600

Phone: 301-680-6300
e-mail: info@gc.adventist.org