From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Elect New Leadership Team

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 06 Oct 1999 15:04:36

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 6, 1999

ELCA BISHOPS ELECT NEW LEADERSHIP TEAM
99-244-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) elected the Rev. Donald J. McCoid, bishop of the ELCA
Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod, and the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, bishop of
the ELCA Saint Paul (Minn.) Area Synod, as their leaders for the next
four years.
     McCoid, 55, was elected chair of the Conference of Bishops, a 67-member
group consisting of bishops from the ELCA's 65 synods, the
presiding bishop and the ELCA secretary.  Hanson was elected vice chair.
 The elections occurred here at the Sept. 30-Oct. 5 meeting of the
Conference of Bishops.
     Both positions are voluntary, and the leadership duties are in
addition to the regular responsiblities each has as a synod bishop.
     The bishops used an "ecclesiastical ballot," a series of ballots
used to elect officers from an open field of candidates.  McCoid was
elected with 42 votes on the fifth ballot. The Rev. Peter Rogness,
bishop of the ELCA Greater Milwaukee Synod received 21 votes.  Hanson
had 1 vote.  There were 15 nominees on the first ballot for chair.
     McCoid paid tribute to his predecessor, the Rev. Charles H. Maahs,
bishop of the ELCA's Central States Synod, Shawnee Mission, Kan., whose
term as chair concluded at the meeting.  He said Maahs values "everyone
in this conference" and pledged to do the same.
     "Thank you, and may God bless our work together," McCoid said
following his election.
     McCoid, who resides in Pittsburgh, was first elected bishop in
1988 and has served as chair of the Conference of Bishops ecumencial
committee. McCoid also serves on several boards and committees of the
Lutheran church.  He and his wife, Saundra, have two children, Kimberly
and Elizabeth.
     Hanson, 52, was elected with 50 votes on the third ballot over
five other nominees.  The closest runner-up was the Rev. Andrea DeGroot-Nesdahl,
bishop of the ELCA South Dakota Synod, Sioux Falls, S.D., who
received seven votes.  Sixteen bishops were nominated on the first
ballot for vice chair.
     Hanson succeeded Rogness, who was vice chair.
     "It's an honor to serve in this group," Hanson said following his
election. "I would challenge us to remember we have an elected Church
Council, and it is crucial we work with it especially in the next few
months."
     Hanson resides in Minneapolis and was first elected bishop of St.
Paul in 1995.  In addition to serving several Lutheran and interfaith
organizations, he is an advisor to the board of the ELCA Division for
Congregational Ministries.  He and his wife, Ione, have six children:
Aaron, Alyssa, Rachel, Ezra, Isaac and Elizabeth.

For information contact: