From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GAC Turns Down Funding Request from Sheldon Jackson College

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 06 Oct 1999 20:05:26

6-October-1999
99335

    GAC Turns Down Funding Request
    from Sheldon Jackson College

    Presbyterian College Could Be Forced to Close Next Year

    by Evan Silverstein

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -The General Assembly Council (GAC) has rejected an
appeal from Sheldon Jackson College for $2 million in emergency funding.
The financially troubled institution in Sitka, Alaska, is named for a
legendary Presbyterian missionary.

    Council members voted unanimously Sept. 25 to approve a recommendation
against further funding of Sheldon Jackson, which said it needs the money
to implement new programming, boost enrollment and put the institution on
stable financial footing. School officials also have been seeking money
from other sources and discussing the idea of merging with another
institution to avoid closing its doors next spring.

    "In our response to them, we are essentially saying that, while we care
deeply and profoundly about its tradition, and celebrate its marvelous
history ... we are simply unable, given our limited resources, to respond
positively to that request for $2 million," said Duncan Ferguson,
coordinator for the denomination's office of higher education.

    "We are saying that we will continue to support that (school) in every
possible way through current resources, which we have set aside," Ferguson
said shortly before the council voted on the recommendation of the National
Ministries Division (NMD).

    The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) adds about $320,000 a year to the
coffers of Sheldon Jackson with money from the denomination's Christmas Joy
offering. "There also are various restricted accounts that we can use for
mission to help Sheldon Jackson, and whatever emergency funds we have
available," Ferguson said, adding that the church recently sent the college
$20,000 to help it get over a "little hump."

    Sheldon Jackson College, which now has about 275 full- and part-time
students, has served the native people of Alaska since its founding in 1878
as a training center for Tlingit Indians. It is named after pioneering
Presbyterian mission worker Sheldon Jackson, who logged nearly 30,000 miles
a year traveling across the country, often by dogsled, in the mid-1800s,
and established hundreds of churches and schools - and even a newspaper.

    "Sheldon Jackson is about as close as you get to a saint in the
Presbyterian Church," said the Rev. Bill Chapman, partnership chair for
NMD.

    Something substantial must happen soon if the 120-year-old college,
touted as Alaska's oldest continuous educational institution, is to survive
- otherwise, President David Meekhof will be forced to recommend in
December that the board of trustees approve closing the college at the
conclusion of the spring semester next May.

    "We're very much aware that either we need some major gifts within the
next three months, or we'll need a definite commitment to move toward some
form of merger of administrative functions," Meekhof said, "or we're going
to have to start an orderly process of looking toward closure. Those are
the alternatives before us."

    Meekhof declined to name schools Sheldon Jackson has communicated with
about a merger, which he believes could save the school about $5,000 a year
by consolidating administrative staffs with a partner institution.

    "We can imagine that we would be the Sheldon Jackson campus of whatever
other institution we relate to, and would maintain our identity as the
Sheldon Jackson campus," Meekhof said.

    Ferguson said Sheldon Jackson will continue holding merger discussions
with Alaska Pacific University, a private Methodist-affiliated liberal arts
college in Anchorage, Alaska; the state-operated University of Alaska
system, which has a campus in Sitka; and Whitworth College in Spokane,
Washington.

    But finding a partner may not be easy.

    "I would say the odds are against it at this point," said Doug North,
president of Alaska Pacific University, the only other four-year private
college in Alaska. "I'd say right now it's about 30-70, but that's without
real information."

     University of Alaska officials said no discussions are taking place
between the schools.

    "I don't know at what level those conversations have been going on,
other than just locally here, which have not really been of any substance,"
said John Carnegie, director of the University of Alaska's Sitka campus.
"They've been more investigatory, in terms of how can we help and what can
happen?"

    Scott Foster, public relations director for the University of Alaska
Southeast in Juneau, which includes the Sitka campus, mirrored his
colleague's comments: "As far as the University of Alaska Southeast is
concerned, there have not been any negotiations, and we're not aware of any
negotiations under way in terms of a partnership or a merger."

    Greg Orwig, communications director of Whitworth College, said he and
president William Robinson were unaware of any current discussions with
Sheldon Jackson.

    Meekhof said years of operating the institution with shaky cash
reserves and negligible endowments is partly to blame for bringing the
college "to the point where our income from student tuition and fees simply
is not adequate to meet the needs."

    He said Sheldon Jackson must have 300 full-time students to be viable
financially, and expanding the current program offerings is paramount in
obtaining that level of enrollment.

    "We need to develop programs, and that takes about one million of the
dollars we asked for ... and (for) enlarging the programs we already have,"
Meekhof said. "We need the other monies to enlarge our science areas, which
basically are in the areas of ecological systems and management."

    He said the college raises an annual fund of more than $2.5 million,
which he called "commendable" for a college with fewer than 200 full-time
students."

    Unforeseen financial challenges are also a factor in Sheldon Jackson's
woes. One example is $300,000 to $400,000 of expenses to add a boiler
system, which was necessary because the city announced recently that it
plans to close a garbage incinerator on the campus - a source, for 20
years, of free heat for the college.

    "It's those cash needs that have put us into a very difficult situation
right now," Meekhof said. "My belief is that, if in three years we could
have a solid 300(-member) student body, we could have a cash reserve of $1
million and an endowment that's growing 10 percent a year. If we could
accomplish those things, we are a viable college."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org