From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran bishop offers praise, caution in wake of CCM vote

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 07 Oct 1999 13:28:00

For further information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-145

Lutheran bishop offers praise, caution in wake of CCM vote

by Kathryn McCormick

     (ENS) Declaring that he is grateful that his church, after
spirited debate, voted to enter into communion with the Episcopal
Church, the head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
told an audience at Grace Episcopal Church in New York City that
the ELCA's experience over two years in full communion with the
Reformed churches has taught it to expect a wealth of
possibilities in the new relationship

     "Jubilation is premature," ELCA Presiding Bishop H. George
Anderson cautioned, noting that the Episcopal Church must approve
the agreement at its General Convention next summer, but for the
ELCA, "full communion has proved to be much more than another
step on the path of Christian unity. It is more like a whole new
highway."

     Anderson's remarks came as part of the William Reed
Huntington Memorial Sermon, delivered on September 15 during an
annual Eucharist honoring Huntington, rector of Grace Church at
the turn of the last century. The church was filled despite a
heavy rainstorm that had pelted the area for hours preceding the
evening service.

     In addition to his 26 years of service to Grace Church,
Huntington was the architect of the Chicago-Lambeth
Quadrilateral, approved by the House of Bishops in 1886 and still
in use as the declaration of the official ecumenical position of
the Episcopal Church. The document's listing of the historic
episcopate as a necessary point to be included in the Episcopal
Church's approach to unity with other Christians, has long been
at the heart of Lutheran-Episcopal discussions.

     The Lutheran Churchwide Assembly agreed to join
Episcopalians in the historic episcopate when it approved the
document--"Called to Common Mission"(CCM)--that opened the way
for full communion.

     "Over the last two years, Lutherans and Episcopalians have been
seeking a way to honor that element in your tradition,"
Anderson said of the historic episcopate, "while also recognizing
we Lutherans have no such structural requirement in our
definition of Christian unity."

     He pointed to the variety of ways in which Lutherans have
organized themselves, never seeing their identity as bound to any
single structure.

     "Church structure was not an issue," he said of the
Lutherans' relationships with three churches of the Reformed
tradition and, most recently, the Moravians. "Once we agreed on
matters of faith, we were able to move forward with full
communion.

     "The road to full communion with the Episcopal Church has
not been that easy, although most Lutherans would see our two
traditions as holding much in common. That is even true on the
distinction between essentials and non-essentials," Anderson
said. Put simply, Episcopalians see the historic episcopate as
essential to Christian unity; Lutherans do not.

     Lutherans' doubts came through in their vote against
adopting the original "Concordat of Agreement" approved
overwhelmingly by Episcopalians in 1997, he said, although
Lutherans asked that a revised proposal be presented at their
1999 assembly.

     CCM "clarified the question of the necessity of the historic
episcopate," he said. He quoted from the document:

     "The Episcopal Church is free to maintain that sharing in
the historic catholic episcopate, while not necessary for
salvation or for recognition of another church as a church, is
nonetheless necessary when Anglicans enter the relationship of
full communionXThe Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is free
to maintain that this same episcopate, although pastorally
desirable when exercised in personal, collegial, and communal
ways, is nonetheless not necessary for the relationship of full
communion."

     Some of the implications of life within the historic
episcopate, particularly questions about the installation of
bishops, fueled an intense campaign against CCM during the months
before its approval, Anderson said, recalling the tense days just
before the final vote.

     "It is significant to me that we finally got around to our
Lord's own reason for praying that his followers might be one--
'so that the world might believe'," he said. "That is why I am so
grateful that our assembly did vote to approve "Called to Common
Mission."

     The ELCA's experience with full communion with Reformed
churches "has been full of discoveries. Time after time we have
discovered ways in which our ministries can complement and
support each other," he declared. "Beforehand we had talked of
supplying vacant parishes and sharing expertise, but now we are
talking about specific cooperation in dozens of program areas."

     Moreover, the work surrounding CCM is not yet done, he
added. Episcopalians must decide whether or not to accept it next
summer, while Lutherans work on reconciliation and healing.

     "I believe we took a very constructive and positive step,"
he asserted, noting that thanksgiving and prayer both were
needed. "Thanksgiving that our two traditions have been led this
far, and prayer that the Lord of the Church might give us the
opportunity to witness more fully to the world--together."

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of News and
Information for the Episcopal Church.