From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Church presiding bishop's statement on East Timor

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 07 Oct 1999 13:29:55

For further information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-139

Presiding Bishop's Statement on East Timor

     The unfolding tragedy in East Timor is yet another sad and
agonizing example of the human family's inability to live in
harmony.  So much divides us.  The killing includes among its
many victims the Reverend Francisco de Vasconcelos Ximenes,
General Secretary of the Christian Church in East Timor, which is
a partner of the Uniting Church in Australia.  Please join me in
prayer and take such action as your conscience dictates in
response to this latest act of inhumanity. The Presiding Bishop's
Fund will gratefully receive offerings for the relief of the
Timorese people.

     I have received a letter from the Anglican Primate of
Australia asking me to urge U.S. support and participation in a
peacekeeping force.  By way of this public comment, I join my
voice, decisively so, to the call for our country and the
international community to rush peacekeeping forces and aid into
the midst of the genocide.  I do so as I express gratitude to the
Administration for its urgent attention to this matter.  I
personally heard our ambassador to the United Nations last week
express his own agony over this latest crisis and he assured
those of us present that his office as well as those at the White
House and State Department were fully engaged.  Action and
commitment by our government and the international community
cannot move swiftly enough.

     There will need to be reflection on this latest episode of
genocide and the ways it might have been prevented.  Also, the
call by Roman Catholic Bishop Belo of East Timor for a tribunal
to punish those responsible should be supported. But for this
moment, all attention must be on providing protection and relief
for the citizens of East Timor.

     I grieve for the loss of life and incredible suffering from
this latest act of loathsome brutality even as I proclaim Jesus
as Lord who offers us all another way that calls us to be one
as he and the Father are One.

 Sincerely yours,

Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate