From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Official Urges Lawmakers Not to Rush to Judgment On Test Ban Treaty

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Oct 1999 20:08:33

12-October-1999
99342

    PC(USA) Official Urges Lawmakers
    Not to Rush to Judgment On Test Ban Treaty

    Pact Would Halt All Nuclear Testing

    by Evan Silverstein

WASHINGTON - With a showdown looming on Capitol Hill, the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) pressed its case Thursday for ratification of a treaty
banning nuclear weapon tests, and appealed yesterday for the Senate to
postpone a vote on the pact scheduled for next week.

    During a White House gathering of religious leaders, the Rev. Elenora
Giddings Ivory, director of PC(USA)'s Washington office, argued that the
Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) is too important to be considered in
the brief time set aside by Republican leaders. She urged the Senate to
support the treaty when it comes up for a vote next Tuesday.

    "The passage of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty is central to
ensuring the safety and well-being of future generations," Ivory said.
"Considering that the Chemical Weapons Convention, which was ratified by
the Senate in 1997, enjoyed 14 full days of hearings, this treaty deserves
the same thoughtful deliberation."

    Historically, the Presbyterian Church has deplored the use or testing
of nuclear weapons. In  1997 it supported the ratification and
implementation of the test ban treaty. In 1980, the General Assembly
affirmed that "the new global reality and our faith call us to recognize
the task of peacemaking at the center of our church's mission in this
critical time."

    "The Cold War has ended - there is no need for nuclear weapons
testing," Ivory said. "The passage of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty is
absolutely necessary to stopping the proliferation of nuclear weapons
around the world."

    She said the treaty, which has virtually no Republican support, would
discourage the spread of nuclear arms to non-nuclear countries and reduce
the chance that a superpower will develop more dangerous nuclear weaponry.
Ivory urged people of all faiths to contact their senators to ask for a
full hearing on the treaty.

    President Clinton thanked Ivory and other religious leaders who
surrounded him on the South Lawn of the White House for their support of
the treaty. On hand were representatives of the U.S. Catholic Bishops'
Conference, the National Council of Churches of Christ, the Religious
Action Center for Reformed Judaism, the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and
the National Council of Churches.

    "Today, religious leaders from across the spectrum and across the
nation are urging America to seize the higher ground of leadership to stop
the spread of nuclear weapons," Clinton said.

    The treaty, signed by Clinton on Sept. 26, 1996, was first proposed by
President Dwight Eisenhower in 1958. Historically, the United States has
taken the lead in drafting and promoting the test ban treaty. Clinton urged
opponents of the treaty to join him in listening to the religious
community, the American people and others who support the test ban
initiative.

    "Listen to the religious leaders, who say it is the right thing to do,"
he said. "Listen to our allies, including nuclear powers Britain and
France, who say America must continue to lead."

    The treaty would extend the present international ban on nuclear tests
in the atmosphere to forbid underground testing as well. In effect it would
be a total ban on nuclear explosions. Supporters of the treaty, which has
been signed by representatives of 154 nations, have acknowledged privately
that they could not get the two-thirds majority needed for U.S.
ratification. If the measure fails in the Senate, the treaty will be the
first arms-control treaty ever voted down.

    Clinton said the treaty's approval is a moral obligation to future
generations.

    "Do you really want to leave our children a world in which every nation
has a green light to test, develop and deploy nuclear weapons?" he asked.
"Or a world in which we have done everything we possibly can to minimize
the risks nuclear weapons pose to our children?"

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org