From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

An Appeal from a Martyred East Timorese Pastor

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Oct 1999 20:10:49

12-October-1999
99340

    "Please Voice Our Voices":
    An Appeal from a Martyred East Timorese Pastor

    by Rebecca C. Asedillo
    General Board of Global Ministries, The United Methodist Church

(Editor's note: The Rev. Francisco de Vasconcelos Ximenes hosted the
delegation of East Timor election observers that included Presbyterian News
Service reporter John Filiatreau this summer. - Jerry L. Van Marter)

NEW YORK CITY - The last time I saw the Rev. Francisco de Vasconcelos
Ximenes was in the airport in Dili, capital of East Timor, sometime in
August 1997.

    Francisco, as our ecumenical delegation called him, had been our
gracious and tireless host for four days, and he was there to see us off.

    Our group, from the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A. (NCC), was headed by Bishop Melvin G. Talbert, the council's
president at the time.  Our trip, designed to coincide with the 1998-1999
ecumenical mission study on Indonesia, included visits to Bali, Yogyakarta,
Jakarta, and East Timor.

    In East Timor our hosts were the Gereja Kristen di Timor Timur (GKTT),
or the Christian Church of East Timor, and the Roman Catholic Bishop Carlos
Ximenes Belo, the 1996 Nobel Peace co-laureate.

    As general secretary of GKTT, Francisco was in charge of organizing our
visit and coordinating it with Bishop Belo's staff.  He and some members of
his church drove us around to visit such officials as the military
commander and the vice-governor of East Timor.  We also visited the
University of East Timor, some Catholic seminaries, churches, schools, and
development  organizations.

    Francisco took us to meet leaders of small GKTT rural churches as well
as those of the very large Hosana church in Dili, with eight pastors, four
worship services, and 7,000 members, of whom approximately 95 percent came
from regions outside East Timor.

    With a membership of approximately 35,000, the Protestant religious
community in East Timor constitutes only a small percentage of the total
population, which is 96 percent Roman Catholic.  But with its large
Indonesian constituency, the issue of the East Timorese people's quest for
self-determination has been an especially difficult and complex matter for
the Protestant church.

    Francisco spoke with passion as he explained the dilemma posed for its
leaders.

    As Francisco lingered with us at the airport to say goodbye, I wanted
to convey my sense of solidarity with his struggles and those of his
people.  But I dared not endanger him by verbalizing my intent.  Throughout
our entire visit in East Timor, our group had felt itself to be highly
visible. Some of  us sensed that we were being closely watched.  Thus, the
level of our conversations did not go much beyond what social convention
and our perception of the security situation allowed.

    For underneath the placid appearance of things we were aware of an
immense bottled-up energy seeking to be released.

    So I scribbled some words in my little notebook and showed them to
Francisco: "If you really want to hear what we are saying," I wrote,
"listen closely to what we are not allowed to say."

    This quote grew out of the political struggles against the Marcos
dictatorship in the Philippines during the 1970s and 1980s.

    Francisco acknowledged the quote with a bit of a smile.  Or perhaps it
was a nod.

    Two years after that visit, a breakthrough in international
negotiations finally opened a way for the people of East Timor to determine
their political future.  On Aug. 30, 1999, almost 24 years after the
Indonesian invasion of their land, 98 per cent of the population went to
the U.N.-sponsored poll to decide whether East Timor should remain a part
of Indonesia.

    On Sept. 4, the U.N. announced that an overwhelming 78.5 per cent of
East Timorese had voted to become independent.

    Immediately following the announcement, the militia, backed by the
Indonesian military, massively intensified the bloodbath and campaign of
terror, targeting suspected pro-independence supporters through abductions,
killings, burnings, and looting, and forcibly driving people from their
homes.

    To date, according to media reports, nearly half of East Timor's
population of 800,000 has been uprooted, while casualty figures have run in
the thousands.

    Even before the horrifying escalation of violence, as many as 100
refugees were taking shelter at Hosana Church.  According to a report from
the Australia based East Timor Human Rights Centre, a truckload of
Indonesian police came to the church and ordered the refugees to go to the
police station.  Rather than risk the danger of such a move, Francisco and
the refugees left Dili.

    On Sept.10, somewhere on the way to the town of Baucau, Francisco was
shot by militia in the company of Indonesian police. He died the next day,
with these last words: "Please voice our voices."

    Recalling the rich and moving moments he had shared with Francisco,
Bishop Talbert said, "I am deeply grieved to hear that our brother, the
Rev. Francisco de Vasconcelos Ximenes, has been killed.  Yet his death is a
testimony to his life and faith.  His whole life was reaching out in
service to others.  He died being faithful to the call in his life. Thanks
be to God for the privilege of knowing him even for such a brief time."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org