From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Teacher in China Dies

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 13 Oct 1999 10:45:33

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 13, 1999

ELCA TEACHER IN CHINA DIES
99-248-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Scott M. Minson, an Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) teacher, was found dead Oct. 12 in his apartment at
Jian Teachers College, Jiangxi Province, People's Republic of China.
The cause of death has yet to be determined.
     Minson, 25, was serving with the Amity Teachers Program, an
English teaching program administered through Church World Service and
Witness, a unit of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.  In his work, he taught English as a second language classes to
college-age students. Minson began his work in China in August.
     "I wish to express our profound sense of loss and sadness at the
death of Scott Minson," said the Rev. Will L. Herzfeld, associate
executive director of the ELCA Division for Global Mission and president
of Church World Service and Witness.  "Especially do we remember Scott's
family, his parents and brother, and hold them in prayer that they may
be sustained in this difficult time."
     The Amity Teachers Program is a cooperative program in which
Church World Service and Witness works directly with the Amity
Foundation of China, Herzfeld said.  Minson served in one of six
positions supported annually since 1988 by the ELCA, he added.
     "We hold up in prayer all who serve with Amity and who now mourn
the loss of a colleague and friend," Herzfeld said. "We give thanks for
the life and gift of one of God's servants, Scott Minson."
     Minson, born in Independence, Mo., graduated in 1992 from Buffalo
Grove (Ill.) High School.  In May 1996, he graduated with honors from
the University of Iowa, Iowa City, after completing a bachelor of arts
degree with a double major in biology and religion.

     Prior to accepting the teaching assignment in China, he was
employed at
Hewlett-Packard, Falls Church, Va.   He was a member of Our Redeemer
Lutheran Church, a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod congregation in
Prospect Heights, Ill.
     Minson is survived by his parents, Michael and Judy Minson,
Arlington Heights, Ill., and a brother, Jeffrey.

For information contact: