From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Unity and Diversity" Study Materials Mailed Out

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 20 Oct 1999 20:03:50

20-October-1999
99355

    "Unity and Diversity" Study Materials Mailed Out

    General Assembly Asked Presbyterians to Discuss
    Unity in Christ for Two Years

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-A bible study and discussion guide on what unites
Presbyterians - despite their differences - is available now through the
Office of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

    The first copies of the resource, "Unity in the Midst of Diversity,"
were mailed this week to commissioners to the 211th General Assembly,
middle governing body staff and special interest groups within the church.

    It is also available on the denomination's website:
<http://www.pcusa.org>.  The resource may be ordered free from Presbyterian
Distribution Services (PDA), order number: OGA-99-031. The telephone number
for PDA is (502) 569-8030.

    "This is a core issue," PC(USA) Stated Clerk, the Rev. Cliff
Kirkpatrick, told members of the Committee on the Office of the General
Assembly (COGA) here last week, as he distributed initial copies of the
resource.  "One thing is certain for the Presbyterian Church over the next
10 to 15 years.  We will be more diverse than we are now.

    "And if that is the case, we need to find ways to model our diversity
without dividing ourselves."

    Commissioners at the General Assembly in Fort Worth last June ordered
the clerk's office to develop the "Unity in the Midst of Diversity"
resource and asked congregations, presbyteries and synods to engage in
dialogue on matters of ongoing controversy within the denomination.  The
12-page booklet includes models for dialogue, suggested bible texts, a list
of other resources and an order form.

    OGA staff told the Presbyterian News Service that an expanded resource
list will be posted on the website shortly.

    Development of the resource was authorized after debate on a
controversial provision of the denomination's constitution that forbids
unmarried church officers to be sexually active.  That provision -
G-6.0106b of "The Book of Order" - was affirmed by a majority of the
denomination's presbyteries in back-to-back votes between 1996 and 1998.
Instead of asking for another constitutional vote, this year's Assembly
asked that dialogues be held within the denomination for the next two years
on the unity the church finds in Jesus Christ.

    Included in the resource is the sermon on Ephesians 4: 1-6 that former
moderator the Rev. Douglas W. Oldenburg preached at the opening worship of
the 1999 General Assembly.  He urged commissioners to "move beyond the
`we/they,' `winner/loser' mentality, to soften up a bit, to hold ...
convictions with humility and to avoid the incivility and stridency that
seem to be growing in our country and perhaps even in our own church."

    Oldenburg said, "If I haven't said anything else to the church this
year, I have begged all of us - conservative and liberal alike, however one
votes on various issues - to hold our convictions with humility.  The only
way to avoid religious fanaticism, on the one hand, and religious
relativism, on the other hand, is to hold our Christian convictions with
humility, always remembering that only God is God, that all of us are
sinful, fallible human beings, and that history is filled with evidence
that conscientious, Bible-believing, praying, devout Christians have
sometimes been dead wrong."

    A questionnaire is included in the resource so that OGA may monitor the
numbers of Presbyterians participating in the study.

    "The year 1999 has brought signs of hope that an era of suspicion and
sniping in the church is giving way to a time of renewed encounter, respect
and the possibility of reconciliation," Kirkpatrick wrote in the
introduction to the new resource. " It is my prayer that conversations
among Presbyterians of many viewpoints may open us to that Spirit of
patience, forbearance and love described in Ephesians 4: 1-3, leaving us
"eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org