From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Expatriate Personnel Unable To Return Home

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 23 Oct 1999 09:49:01

October 22, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Expatriate Personnel Unable To Return Home from
Pakistan

St. Albans, Herts., U.K. (ANR/APD) The Government of Nawaz
Sharief of Pakistan was overthrown in a military coup on October
12, bringing chaos to a country which is now a nuclear state.

"We have been in touch with our people in Pakistan and have
been following the news closely," reports Dr Reinder Bruinsma,
secretary of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the Trans-
European Division (TED). "We have contacted the State
Department in Washington, DC, and the overall feeling is that
expatriate personnel in Pakistan are safe and that for the present
time there is no reason to worry, but we will continue to monitor
the situation very carefully."

Commenting on the situation, Dr Bertil Wiklander, TED president,
says: "We are glad to hear the news that no one has been hurt
in the current situation in Pakistan.  But we wish everybody to
pray for our brothers and sisters over there that the situation
between India and Pakistan will continue to remain peaceful, and
that the Government will create stability and order in the
country.  We also wish to mention that we have several people
from the TED office present in Pakistan right now who have
problems getting their flights back.  I am thinking particularly of
our education director, Orville Woolford and our auditors."

The Seventh-day Adventist Church in Pakistan has a membership
of 6,434 and operates several institutions including the Pakistan
Adventist Seminary in Farooqabad Mandi, and the Karachi
Adventist Hospital.