From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishop Griswold issues statement on human rights

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 26 Oct 1999 10:39:17

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-154

Statement of the Presiding Bishop on Human Rights for Homosexual
Persons

     I have read with alarm and deep concern accounts of
statements by the presidents of Kenya, Uganda and Zimbabwe which
have become a provocation for the harassment and persecution of
homosexual persons. Here I am put in mind of the Lambeth
resolution which reminds us that homosexual persons are "loved by
God and that all baptized, believing and faithful persons,
regardless of sexual orientation, are full members of the Body of
Christ."

     Within the Anglican Communion we are seeking to discern a
common mind on the issue of homosexuality in the life of the
church.  However, regardless of one's views on the matter, there
should be no debate among us about human rights for all people -
which are enshrined in the United Nations' Universal Declaration
of Human Rights.

     I have conveyed this concern to the primates of Central
Africa, Kenya, and Uganda, and am ready as their brother in
Christ to share their burden, which belongs to everyone who has
been baptized into Christ's death and resurrection, and thereby
called to proclaim and uphold the dignity of all persons.

     Frank T. Griswold
     Presiding Bishop and Primate
     The Episcopal Church USA
     October 8, 1999