From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA bishops discuss aftermath of Episcopal proposal

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 26 Oct 1999 10:39:21

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-159

ELCA Bishops discuss aftermath of proposal with Episcopal Church

by John Brooks

     (ELCA) Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) discussed a wide variety of concerns related to the
adoption of a full communion agreement with the Episcopal Church
this summer at the ELCA Churchwide Assembly in Denver. While they
took no formal action during their September 30-October 5 meeting
in Chicago, bishops agreed they need to be sensitive to the needs
of people who opposed the agreement and keep attention on the
church's evangelism and outreach efforts.

     "There's a longing (need) that leaders acknowledge
sustained, deep divisions confessionally that did not end in
Denver," said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, bishop of the Saint Paul
Area Synod, one of the church's 65 synods.  Some seminary
students have expressed concern about their future roles in the
church as a result of the agreement, Hanson said.  "An attempt to
respond further alienates us rather than builds a bridge.  I
would like to build a bridge."

     The agreement, "Called to Common Mission (CCM)," is not a
plan to merge.  It calls for the churches to share a variety of
cooperative ministries and allows for exchange of clergy under
certain circumstances.  What has upset some Lutherans is the
ELCA's adoption of the "historic episcopate" as part of the
agreement.  The historic episcopate, brought to the relationship
by the Episcopal Church, is a succession of bishops as a sign of
unity back to the earliest days of the Christian church.

     Some ELCA members who oppose the agreement say the historic
episcopate threatens Lutheran identity and changes the roles of
lay and ordained people in the church.  Others who favored CCM
see the agreement as an enhancement of the church's mission.

     The procedures outlined in CCM will not be effective until
Episcopalians approve it.  They will consider the proposal when
they meet in general convention next summer in Denver.

Listening to opponents

     The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of the ELCA,
recently traveled to Minnesota to discuss CCM concerns in a
public forum in St. Paul and a meeting with ELCA clergy in
Rochester.  Concerns seem to be focused in two areas, he said.
They include confessional or theological issues, and concerns
that CCM's approval may lead to consequences that may not be good
for the Lutheran church, Anderson said.

     "It was really tough," Anderson said of the meetings. "These
were really good people and some of them are really angry."  The
discussions didn't necessarily change people's minds, but he
learned some things about the issues, making the trip worthwhile,
he added.

     It's important the church "stay with, talk to and listen to
those opposed,"  Anderson said. "When one part of the body
suffers, we all suffer."

     "It's hard to believe really good people don't trust us,"
said the Rev. Richard J. Foss, bishop of the Eastern North Dakota
Synod.  He said he expected people in his area to express "pain"
about CCM's adoption, but he didn't expect the anger he has seen
in some people.

     "One of the issues we're dealing with is trust," said the
Rev.  Marcus C. Lohrmann, bishop of the Northwestern Ohio Synod.
"There is not yet an 'abiding trust' in leadership."

     The bishops offered a variety of views on how the church
must respond to people who are unhappy with the adoption of CCM.
The Rev. Robert D. Berg, bishop of the Northwest Synod of
Wisconsin, said the church must have a process "that will honor
people where they are."

     Reminding his colleagues the "church is not static," the
Rev. Roy G. Almquist, bishop of the Southeastern Pennsylvania
Synod, suggested it may be time for the church to move on. "I
believe there is room in our church for dissent.  That's
healthy," said the Rev. John C. Beem, bishop of the East-Central
Synod of Wisconsin, who said he voted against CCM. "I want it to
be obedient dissent that is faithful to Christ."

Regional meetings

     Opponents of CCM have organized a series of informal
meetings throughout the country to discuss their concerns about
CCM and how it affects the ELCA.  Some bishops said they will
attend meetings to be held in their synods.

     "I do want to be there, and I do want to listen," said the
Rev. Andrea DeGroot-Nesdahl, bishop of the South Dakota Synod.
"Listening is a critical piece and continues to be a critical
piece," said the Rev. David W. Olson, bishop of the Minneapolis
Area Synod.

     Pastors must recognize their own influence in relation to
CCM, Hanson said.  He said he is particularly concerned about how
pastors may influence reactions by congregations.

     The Rev. Peter Rogness, bishop of the Milwaukee Area Synod,
said it is "naive" to deny there is "no pull" toward a power
shift in the ELCA, especially when the church changes its
constitution as specified in CCM.

     "There is a deep sense that something has changed," said the
Rev.  Stanley S. Olson, bishop of the Southwestern Minnesota
Synod, who said he voted against CCM.  Olson also said in
conversations with pastors and members he senses people opposed
to CCM may feel alienated.

     "Keep focused on the mission," was the advice offered by the
Rev.  E. Peter Strommen, bishop of the Northeastern Minnesota
Synod. He said it takes considerable energy to sustain a
movement, such as opposition to CCM.  It may be a year before the
issues involving CCM are clear, he said.

     A rural congregation of 600 in Ohio is believed to be the
first to consider leaving the ELCA because of the decision on
CCM. The bishop of the Northwest Ohio Synod said that a three-
month period of consultation will follow after the 221-86 vote
during which the congregation will discuss its concerns and take
a final vote to ratify or reverse its initial decision.

     Bishop Marcus Lohrmann said that he was saddened but not
completely surprised by the decision since the parish narrowly
voted to become part of the ELCA when it was formed in 1988. "I
think the ELCA is saying that it's a different time, a time when
we no longer are formed simply from immigrant groups out of
Europe," he said. "Increasingly there is a realization that we
need to be a church in mission and to be faithful to the Lord
requires us to work together."

--John Brooks is director of news and information for the ELCA.