From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Holy Spirit Attends Convocation, Stays Under Wraps

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 28 Oct 1999 20:04:29

28-October-1999
99366

    Holy Spirit Attends Convocation, Stays Under Wraps

    Even theologians find third person of Trinity elusive

    by Alexa Smith

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - After three days of lectures on the Holy Spirit, the Rev.
Sally Willis-Watkins of Flemington, N.J., conceded that capturing the
essence of the confession, "We Believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the
Giver of Life," is, at best, an imprecise exercise.

    "The Father, we can see it. We've got an image for the Son. But the
Spirit is, as a professor of mine used to say, `poofy,'" Willis-Watkins
said.  "And yet, that's helpful, because sometimes we think we've got the
Father and the Son. We've defined God and, therefore, we limit God. The
Spirit reminds us that we cannot define or limit God.

    "So," she concluded, "maybe the imprecision is a good thing."

    Being more precise about who the Holy Spirit is and what the Holy
Spirit does - while confessing the mystery inherent in the Spirit's essence
and people's experience of it - was the task given eight plenary speakers
and fewer than 100 listeners who gathered here Oct. 20-22 for the second
churchwide theology convocation, sponsored by the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) Office of  Theology and Worship.

    A second gathering followed immediately in San Francisco.

    Speakers took turns addressing various clauses of the Nicene Creed, a
confessional statement drafted in 325 A.D. by a church council trying to
find language that could assert the full divinity of Christ. The need for
an authoritative statement became evident when a prominent church leader in
Alexandria, Egypt, known as Arias, began teaching that the Son, having been
created, was subordinate to the Father, thus establishing a hierarchy
within the Trinity.

    The Council of Nicaea declared Arias' teaching heresy, insisting that
the Son is of  "one substance" with the Father and that the Spirit
"proceedeth from the Father and the Son," and that the three are co-eternal
and equal in power.

    Or, as Colin Gunton, a professor of systematic theology at King's
College in London, told the gathering in more contemporary language: "There
is an eternal communion of love that we call the triune God. The Spirit
perfects the divine communion by being the dynamic of the Father's and
Son's being ... It is perfect in itself ... but its very character provides
the basis of God's movement out into the world to create, to redeem and to
perfect."

    "God is no lonely monad or self-absorbed tyrant," Gunton said, "but one
whose orientation to the other is intrinsic to his eternal being as God.
 ... The Spirit, we might say, is also the motor of that divine movement
outwards, just as the Son is its focus."

    The lecture series is the second of three planned by the denomination,
according to the Rev. Joseph Small, coordinator for theology and worship.
The first, drawing on the creed's language about Jesus Christ, was held
three years ago in Pittsburgh; the third and last, on God the Father, is
tentatively planned for 2002.

    The purpose for theological convocations is simple, although the topics
are not.

      "We're having to answer the questions over and over again: Who is
God? Who am I? Does God care about me? What does that mean for my
relationships with other people?" said Small, referring to daily pastoral
work. "Those are simple little questions, but they don't have simple little
answers. And this is a time (for) ... trying to make better sense of the
faith, so that we can help people in churches make better sense of the
faith."

     Ellen Charry, an associate professor of theology at Princeton
Theological Seminary, speaking on "The Doctrine of the Trinity and the
Christian Life," claimed that the essence of the "divine triplicity" is
based, finally, on human need - so that God does not have to "fight against
us for us."

    "God is so concerned for the flourishing of creation that the divine
triplicity ... is for [creation's] sake,"Charry said. "That we know Father,
Son and Holy Spirit as creator, redeemer and sanctifier suggests that God
knows and understands that we need more help than simply to be created and
set going. To this end, God's own being is structured around our needs.
That the Son and the Spirit are indeed God and sent into the world to
repair us, brings us face-to-face with our need for precisely the work that
God does.

    "We need to be confronted by our sins in the cross of Christ, offered
the hope of forgiveness in his resurrection, sealed with the power of the
Holy Spirit for new life in Christ, and gifted with talents and skills for
the love of neighbor and the upbuilding of the entire body of Christ. For
the second and third `hypostases' (a term coined at Nicaea) of the Trinity
are not afterthoughts, self-differentiations of God undertaken after the
fall - to close the barn door after the horses are out, so to speak.

    "The fact that Christians understand these things to be co-eternal and
of equal status," Charry said, "indicates that the divine triplicity
anticipates the full force of human need from eternity."

    Most of the speakers focused on how that triplicity is experienced in
the life of the church. Adhering to the words of the creed, the Rev.
Cynthia Campbell, the president of McCormick Theological Seminary,
addressed " ... who has spoken through the prophets"; Leanne Van Dyk, a
professor of systematic theology at Western Theological Seminary, covered "
 ... one baptism for the remission of sins;" and Miroslav Volf of The
Divinity School of Yale University discussed " ... One Holy, Catholic and
Apostolic Church."

    Campbell said the Spirit illumines God's word so it may be understood
by the people that God created to "talk back" - although it is often hard
for humans to hear and understand prophets in their own midst."The problem
with the prophet," she said, "is that the prophet speaks a word from the
Lord" - sometimes harsh judgement but at other times grace.  "But often,
for us, a word of grace is just as hard (to hear) as a word of judgment"

    Later, responding to a question about distinguishing between prophets
and heretics, Campbell said prophets are terribly difficult to hear. "It is
a difficult process ... and it simply will not happen without debate,
argument and pain."

    Van Dyk said the Spirit is the aspect of the Trinity that gives humans
glimpses of God's presence in their life, and the most dramatic and visible
model of God's action is that of Christian baptism, a daily reminder of
Christian identity conferred by the Holy Spirit.

    "Salvation through Jesus Christ must become visible through lived
experience," Van Dyk said. " ... Human beings in community. Visible.
Particular. Concrete. Noticeable. One can see it. Sense the quality of it."

    According to Volf, the Spirit is essential to move the church into
mission - for the forgiveness of sinners, fellowship with the outcast and
care of the needy.  "The Spirit moves the church into the work of
reconciliation of people ... which is intrinsic to reconciliation with God,
since there was such divine self-giving to reconcile humanity," adding that
when the church is torn between reconciliation and liberation the priority
ought to be reconciliation, because liberation does not necessarily lead to
peace.

    "The church does not seek to draw attention to itself, but to Christ,"
Volf said, describing the complex interplay within the community of faith.
He said it doesn't matter whether the church does its work from the margins
or the center of society.  "What matters profoundly," he said, "is where we
draw our identity."

    The Rev. Elizabeth Nordquist, an assistant professor of spirituality at
San Francisco Theological Seminary, drew on the works of John Calvin to
remind listeners that the Spirit's work is to confirm in the heart what
believers know in the mind. She insisted that failure to pay attention to
the Spirit truncates the church's life and growth.

    Addressing the topic "Holy Spirit and Christian Spiritual Formation,"
Nordquist said, "Holiness takes time."  She urged the denomination to
recover Protestant traditions, practice contemplation on the Sabbath and
use models that teach an attitude of listening to the Spirit.

    The Rev. Fritz Bogar, interim pastor of the 1,100-member Westminster
Presbyterian Church, just east of Atlanta, told the Presbyterian News
Service that finding ways to experience and articulate the experience of
the Spirit is essential in the church now, when so many people are
spiritually starved.

     "Individuals are yearning for something more," Bogar said. " ... One
of the traps of contemporary worship is that people want the latest drug;
they want a pill ... but what they need is not something they've identified
for themselves. They've just identified a lack and are trying to put
something in it.

    "Our responsibility," Bogar added, noting that conferences like this
one lifts up neglected parts of the tradition, "is to give them something
constructive, enriching, as opposed to the next drug."

    Working at finding the words to express the experience of the Spirit,
and creating ministries where it may be witnessed, are imperative,
Willis-Watkins said.  "There's definitely a deep longing in people ...
People are turning to the New Age, even gangs, in a search for meaning, for
a sense of belonging somewhere ... and that's a judgement on us as the
church," she noted.

    "We've got a banquet, where people [could be] eating turkeys, but
they're gorging themselves on junk food. And it will not ultimately
satisfy. It only temporarily fills the void."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org