From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist School In South Sudan Attracts Notice

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 29 Oct 1999 23:33:53

October 30, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist School In South Sudan Attracts Notice

Arua, Uganda. (APD)    The Adventist Development and Relief
Agency (ADRA) is doing a pioneering work in Sudan in many
ways. Through the Middle East Union, the Seventh-day
Adventist Church is running the only full-time staffed
secondary school in South Sudan at the moment.

"It is a hard struggle, but with some funding coming
through ADRA/Sweden, and some direct from the Middle East
Union, we are making good progress," says Robin Willison,
Programme director for ADRA/South Sudan. "We have been
given a property of 3 miles by 8 miles to develop the
school on. The school has been building up for the
last 2 years and we now have about 34 buildings, though
mainly made of mud walls and grass roofs. We started the
year with 160 boarding students and we have a staff of 22
at present."

Students in higher grades can choose between an academic
stream or a vocational stream, learning trades that can
fit them to earn a living and contribute to the development
of their country.  All students have to work;
most of them working with the agriculture department
helping to create a farm to produce food for school needs,
and in time enough to sell to provide school income.

"We are seeking University of London certification so
that students can have internationally recognised
certificates," adds Willison.

The first group will be ready for these exams next year,
and have called themselves The Pioneers.  The staff are
paid very low salaries, but are continuing to dedicate
their energies to building up the school.  All staff are
Sudanese except the agriculturist who is Kenyan.

The school is beginning to attract notice in south Sudan
Because the standard of the students is high. It is hard
for many to fit into a schedule since their culture does
not normally do this.  To have times for each activity and
to have to work when they do not feel like it is sometimes
hard and some students leave because they cannot take it.

"We would like to ask for prayers for our staff to continue
in their dedication to the task, for our students to
persevere in their studies and to do well, and for the
resources we need to make this school a light set on a hill
 in South Sudan, setting an example of what people can
do under God's guidance.  Also we daily need God's
protection in what continues to be a war zone," concludes
Willison.