From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service Briefs

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 17 Dec 1999 10:21:33

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-190

News Briefs

Seattle meeting looks at what divides--and unites--Episcopalians

     (ENS) Gathered to quietly begin searching for ways to
encourage reconciliation across the Episcopal Church, 22 clergy
and lay leaders, a sample of conservative, moderate and liberal
points of view in the church, met at St. Alban's Parish in
Edmonds, Washington, from November 8 through 11. They discovered
a common Christ-centered piety among themselves and confronted
the myths that had led to stereotyping and demonization of each
other.

     Members first were asked to share their spiritual journeys
with each other, according to a press release issued by the
group. They moved on to share their perspectives on the conflicts
in the Episcopal Church, which, they agreed, seem to revolve
primarily around the issues of the uniqueness of Jesus, the
approach and interpretation of the bible, abortion and the
blessing of same-sex unions.

     Some in the group insisted on seeing the conflict as
identity-based, involving two communities with differing world
views in the same institutional structure. Others argued that
that view did not capture the complexity of the conflict. The
Rev. Canon Elizabeth Kaeton of Maplewood, New Jersey, said,
"There are not two distinct sides to the crisis in the church;
indeed the crisis is multidimensional and complex. There is no
consistent uniform 'conservative,' 'liberal' or 'moderate'
approach. One can hold a conservative position on one issue while
being quite liberal on another."

     Bishop Catherine Waynick of Indianapolis pointed out that
many laypeople don't even understand why the conflict is taking
place. They are puzzled as to why these particular issues are
ones that threaten to cause a schism in the Episcopal Church.

     As trust began to develop among the participants the
discussion became candid, awkward, and at times painful,
revealing feelings of anger, mistrust, marginalization and
victimization. One Generation X leader, the Rev. Beth Maynard of
Fairhaven, Massachusetts, said, "Infighting has consumed most of
the energy of the church all my life, and done immeasurable
damage to our pubic profile. As a 'postmodern' watching this
conflict from outside, I'm reminded of the over 50 percent of my
generation who are children of divorce. This feels like growing
up watching Mom and Dad fight about issues that were real to
them, but to us often seemed not to be worth breaking up the
family over. I want the family to stay together."

     When the group members asked, "What does reconciliation in
the Episcopal Church look like?" they were able to move from
defending their different positions to exploring what unites
them.

     By the final morning most participants were cautiously
optimistic that reconciliation was possible if conservatives and
liberals were prepared to treat each other's fears, concerns and
interests as legitimate. Dr. Stephen Noll of Ambridge,
Pennsylvania, observed, "On the part of liberals, it involves a
willingness to let the present formularies and liturgies stand
and to allow conservatives to follow their sense of godly
conscience. For conservatives, it means a willingness to live in
a radically pluralistic church without continually acting and
speaking defensively, but mobilizing churches to spread the
gospel."

     As the meeting drew to a close there was no definitive plan
for reconciliation agreed upon by the group, but there was a
strong sense among those present that acts, not just statements,
of reconciliation needed to be moved to a much higher priority on
everyone's agenda.

     Those who attended the meeting included: The Rev. Billy
Alford of Augusta, Georgia; the Rev. Edwin Bacon of Pasadena,
California; Roger Boltz of Dallas, Texas; Bishop Bill Burrill of
Rochester, New York; the Rev. Paul Collins of Seattle,
Washington; the Rev. F. Brian Cox of Santa Barbara, California;
Dr. Louie Crew of East Orange, New Jersey; Bishop Robert Duncan
of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; the Rev. John Guernsey of
Woodbridge, Virginia; the Rev. Canon Mary Hays of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania; the Rev. Michael Hopkins of Greenbelt, Maryland;
the Rev. Carolyn Jones of St. Louis, Missouri; the Rev. Canon
Elizabeth Kaeton of Maplewood, New Jersey; the Rev. Richard Kew
of Murfreesboro, Tennessee; the Rev. Edward Little from
Bakersfield, California, bishop-elect of Northern Indiana; the
Rev. Beth Maynard of Fairhaven, Massachusetts; the Rev. Dorsey
McConnell of Edmonds, Washington; Ted Mollegen of Glastonbury,
Connecticut; Dr. Stephen Noll of Ambridge, Pennsylvania; the Rev.
Jan Nunley of Providence, Rhode Island; Bishop Onell Soto of
Birmingham, Alabama; Bishop Catherine Waynick of Indianapolis,
Indiana.

Zimbabwe's black Anglican priests say they are excluded

     (ENI) Black priests in the Anglican church in Zimbabwe have
alleged that they are not allowed to baptize, marry or bury white
parishioners.

     According to a report, at least four priests have resigned

from their parishes in Harare because of the alleged racism. The
Dean of the Harare diocese, Simukai Mutamangira, admits the
church has a serious racism problem.

     "We have very capable black priests in the country, but
appointments to the key positions are rare for them," he said,
adding that he had been a victim of the segregation in the church
after suggesting the use of traditional African musical
instruments in church services. "I was misquoted as having tried
to impress the gathering, and trying to do away with Western
instruments. I was simply saying the church should bring in the
African tradition."

     The Rev. Godfrey Tawonezvi told a local weekly newspaper
that he had ministered at one parish for three years, "but I
never baptized a white child, married white couples or buried any
white person." He added that whenever the white rector was not
available, white parents would hire white priests from other
parishes, sometimes miles away, to perform baptisms.

     Black priests are also angry that the Harare cathedral bears
dedications to colonial settlers who contributed to the formation
of white Rhodesia. Even the dead dogs of the colonisers are
mentioned, the priests point out. One inscription in the
cathedral states: "To the Glory of God and to the memory of all
transport animals and police dogs that died in service from 1890
onwards. They helped to make Rhodesia."

     Bishop Jonathan Siyachitema of Harare, said recently that
the church had made major efforts to address the racism problem.
However could not give details of the proposed actions.

     Last year he appointed a five-member social responsibility
and public relations committee to look into racism and other
problems faced by the church. The committee drew up a
questionnaire on racism, but when it was about to be sent out,
the bishop refused to allow the survey to go ahead. Members of
the committee resigned in protest, and the committee was later
dissolved.

Canadian bishop blocks Asian church leader from visiting

     (ENI) Bishop Michael Ingham, of the Diocese of New
Westminster, has blocked Archbishop Mose Tay, of Asia, from
visiting British Columbia.

     Conservative Anglicans have accused Ingham of censorship but
he said he barred the visit because he feared Tay's presence
would disrupt sensitive discussions within the diocese over
blessing same-sex unions and the issue of abuse at church-run
native residential schools.

     According to a report, Tay, who openly opposes homosexual rights
and believes that totem poles contain evil spirits, was
invited by Trevor Walters, rector of St. Matthew's Church in
Abbotsford, to attend a celebration on October 28, 2000. Walters
said Tay was selected because of his knowledge of church planting
and establishing new congregations. But Walters also has a
personal connection to Tay because a number of years ago,
Walters' wife was ill and Tay prayed for her and prophesied that
she would recover slowly, and her story would circle the globe.
Walters' wife has since recovered and her story has been sent
around the world on cassette tape.

     The Anglican Journal, newspaper of the Anglican Church in
Canada, reported that parishioners felt "pain and anger" that Tay
had been banned and said Ingham declined an interview with the
media but, in a letter to Walters, said the banning of Tay was
"really a question of a particular person at a particular time
whose actions would be considered more inappropriate than
helpful."

     Ed Hird, a local Anglican clergyman who brought Tay to
Vancouver in the early 1990s to lead a conference on church
growth, expressed surprise at Ingham's ban on the Asian
archbishop.

     Hird said many Anglicans were asking why Tay was shut out of
Vancouver when controversial liberal bishops, such as John Shelby
Spong of the United States and Richard Holloway of Scotland, had
been welcomed to the diocese. But Ingham's supporters pointed out
that many leading conservative Anglicans had come to Vancouver to
speak publicly without intervention by the bishop.

     The report went on to say Tay caused controversy during the
earlier visit to Vancouver's Stanley Park, where totem poles
stand. Tay proceeded to organize prayer meetings to exorcise the
"evil spirits" from the aboriginal artifacts.

     According to Ingham, "both our relationships with
aboriginals and our discussions around gay and lesbian
spirituality would make his [Tay's] presence difficult.

     "I'm all for theological diversity," Ingham told the
Vancouver Sun before he stopped speaking to the media about the
issue. "But I'm concerned his visit would harm my attempts to
create dialogue and mutual listening in the diocese."

     "We have accepted this decision with great sadness and
frustration but we're not fighting it," Walters told the Anglican
Journal.

Carey suggests life in a monastery to cure contemporary vices

     (ENI) Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey supports a call
for more Anglican monks and nuns, saying they "witness to values
which are so often scorned in our society."

     Carey was addressing the church's ruling general synod on
November 17, during a debate about religious communities.

     He described the traditional monastic vows of poverty,
chastity and obedience as "a threefold protest against the
tyranny of materialism, sexual idolatry and unbridled
individualism that oppress so many today."

     Carey referred to the communities' catholic nature in
temperament, history and spirituality, and said: "This archbishop
is evangelical, but not narrowly so, and religious communities
also transcend the pigeonholes that some wish to place them in."

     "And no longer is it the case that vocations come only from
the Anglo-Catholic tradition of our church," he said. "I have met
a number recently whose pilgrimage started with a conversion
experience in evangelical churches, and who remain grateful to
their evangelical heritage."

     The synod heard from the Rev. Adam Mayoss of the Community
of the Resurrection, that many of the 45 Anglican religious
communities in England were down to a handful of elderly members.
Mayoss called for parishes to build closer links with religious
communities and to be more understanding of their purpose.

     "Being must always have priority over doing," he said. "That
is why we believe that seeking vocations is a valid thing."

     Referring to the practice of chastity in what he called "a
sex-mad age," Mayoss noted that "the vow of life-long celibacy is
its own witness."

     Carey commented, "The common assumption of many outside the
church might well be that religious communities are out of touch
and irrelevant. But my experience has shown that in the praying
life of religious communities there is the greatest understanding
of mission and unity, the most awareness of human frailty and
weakness and the keenest expectation of God's amazing grace and
mercy."

ELCA council adopts message on suicide prevention

     (ELCA) At a November 14 meeting of the Church Council of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) a "Message on
Suicide Prevention" was adopted.

     The message encourages members, congregations and affiliated
institutions of the ELCA "to learn more about suicide and its
prevention in their communities, to ask what they can do and to
work with others to prevent suicide."

     It reads, "Our efforts to prevent suicide grow out of our
obligation to protect and promote life, our hope in God amid
suffering and adversity, and our love for our troubled neighbor."
The message also states that more than 30,000 people in the
United States commit suicide each year, and nearly 500,000 people
must receive emergency room treatment because of a suicide
attempt.

     Elsie and Jerry Weyrauch, members of the Lutheran Church of
the Resurrection in Marietta, Georgia, and the Rev. John R.
Stumme, acting director for studies, ELCA Division for Church in
Society, were instrumental in drafting the message

     The Weyrauchs have been active in suicide prevention
advocacy and education since the 1987 death of their daughter,
Terri Ann. Her death was ruled a suicide. They formed the Suicide
Prevention Advocacy Network (SPAN USA), and worked with the U.S.
Congress to issue resolutions on the issue. They also helped
write "The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent Suicide,"
in which, U.S. Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher said suicide is
a serious public health problem.

     "What approval of the message means to me is a whole lot of
people like Terri will be given permission to get help and will
be encouraged to get help," said Elsie Weyrauch following the
council's affirmative vote.

     "This message will speak to all churches, all faiths, that
suicide is no longer an issue that we can ignore," said Jerry
Weyrauch. "It's an issue we can do something about."

     The message is a resource for clergy and for lay members, he
said. It may also serve as a resource for young people. The full
text of the message is available on the ELCA's Web site at
www.elca.org/dcs/suicide_prevention.html.

     In addition to adoption of the message, the council was told
that a "Suicide Prevention Endowment Fund" had been established
through the ELCA Foundation. The fund was established by an
anonymous donor, said the Rev. Donald M. Hallberg, executive
director, ELCA Foundation. The fund will make annual
distributions to the ELCA Division for Church in Society to
support suicide prevention education programs, Hallberg said.

     Gifts to the Suicide Prevention Endowment Fund may be sent
to the ELCA Foundation, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, Ill. 60631.
Information is available by calling 1-800-638-3522, ext. 2972.

Luther Seminary faculty members address CCM issues

     (ELCA) Twelve faculty members at Luther Seminary say they
are "not persuaded" that concerns raised about a Lutheran
proposal for full communion with the Episcopal Church are enough
to warrant rejection of the church's decision to adopt the
proposal.

     The faculty members made the statement in an October 29
message to the Luther Seminary community.

     Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minnesota, is one of eight
seminaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

     On August 19 in Denver the ELCA Churchwide Assembly approved
a full communion proposal with the Episcopal Church. The
proposal, "Called to Common Mission" (CCM) opens the door for a
variety of cooperative ministries and allows for exchange of
clergy in congregations under certain circumstances.

     Some members of the ELCA opposed the proposal, most citing
the ELCA's adoption of the historic episcopate as the reason. The
historic episcopate, brought to the relationship by the Episcopal
Church, is a succession of bishops as a sign of unity back to the
earliest days of the Christian Church. Opponents worked to defeat
the proposal in Denver, and some continue to voice their
opposition in the wake of its approval by the ELCA assembly.

     The Episcopal Church will consider adoption of CCM when its
general convention meets next summer, also in Denver.

     "Whatever evaluation we may have concerning the processes
leading to it, the ELCA action is now a reality," the 12 faculty
members said.

     "Furthermore, we believe the seminary community should act
positively with respect to the decision of the church and look
forward to the future in hope."

     Luther Seminary's board of directors, following a joint
meeting October 23 in Berkeley, California, with the board of
directors of Pacific Lutheran Seminary, addressed the Luther
Seminary community in a written message on a number of issues,
including CCM. The message said that for "several hours" the
board discussed the seminary's role in ecumenical matters,
including CCM.

     "We encourage your every effort to restrain those who
indulge in personal attacks or the exploitation of

disagreements," the board's message said. "We also affirm the
responsibility of the seminary to be a crucible of discussion for
issues that challenge our church.

     "Disagreement and even dissent that are faithful to Christ
will honor the body of Christ," the board's message continued.
"We call upon our seminary community to invest its expertise and
critical skills to work out our confessional commitments and
ecumenical decisions in obedience and freedom as we live into
these agreements."

Announcements from ECC

     Jewel Jones has joined the Episcopal Church Center community
as an assistant in Building Services. Prior to joining the church
center she worked for a real estate firm as an executive
assistant.

     By a unanimous vote of its board of trustees, the
Association of Episcopal Colleges will now be known as Colleges
and Universities of the Anglican Communion.

     This change was initiated because the mission and work of
the association has expanded into a worldwide association of
colleges and universities with historic and present ties to the
Anglican Communion.