From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Cape Town bombings condemned by South African Church

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 02 Dec 1999 22:43:00

At 3.45 pm on Advent Sunday, 28 November, a powerful pipe bomb exploded in
a popular retaurant in Camp's Bay, a tourist suburb of Cape Town.
There were no deaths, but over 20 people were injured, and one young girl
lost her legs.

In a statement, the monthly meeting of ministers of the Peninsula Region of
the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa condemned the attack.
"We belive that, in Jesus Christ, light has come into the world, and the
darkness will never be able to overcome it. Society must not be cowed by
the forces of darkess and terror. We express our sincere condolences to the
victime, and pray that the perpetrators may swiflt be brought to justice".
Dr Des van der Water, General Secretary of the UCCSA endorsed the
statement.

Rev Dave Wanless - Coordinator: Ecumenical News network southern Africa
Tel & Fax: +27 (21) 683-9665
Cell: 082 958-6482
E-mail: davecong@mweb.co.za
Website: www.uccsa.co.za