From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Solidarity With Cuba" Event

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 03 Dec 1999 08:39:31

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Contacts:
In New York: Wendy McDowell, 212-870-2227
In Seattle: Sharon Maeda, 917-543-6028

124NCC12/3/99
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC HEAD, CUBA FOREIGN MINISTER TO SPEAK AT SEATTLE
"SOLIDARITY WITH CUBA" EVENT
Friday, Dec. 3, 9 p.m., New Hope Missionary Church, 124 21st Ave.

 Dec. 3, 1999, SEATTLE ---- As the nation watches events unfold
around the World Trade Organization meetings now taking place in
Seattle, Wash., people will gather in a local Seattle church to show
their support for the people of Cuba and reaffirm their common cause
to get the United States embargo against Cuba lifted.

 The "Solidarity With Cuba" event, sponsored by the Seattle
Cuba Friendship Committee and supported by a broad-based coalition
of secular non-governmental organizations and advocacy groups as
well as church-based groups, will be held at the New Hope Missionary
Baptist Church, 124 21st Ave., at 9 p.m.

 Featured speakers will include Mr. Felipe P‚rez Roque, Foreign
Minister of Cuba and former personal assistant to Fidel Castro, the
Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, General Secretary of the National
Council of Churches (NCC) and the Rev. Lucius Walker, Jr., a
principal organizer of Pastors for Peace.  Both the NCC and Pastors
for Peace have long pressed for lifting the embargo against Cuba and
have sent medicines and other supplies to aid people suffering under
the embargo.

 Cuban leader Fidel Castro was scheduled to attend the event
but threats to his safety from the opposition Cuban American
community caused him to cancel his appearance.  "It is ironic that
those who fled Castro's government for the freedoms of this country
are now trying to deny the American public the opportunity to hear
from Castro," Dr. Campbell said.  "He was prepared to come and it is
unfortunate that he could not."

"In the wake of the protests surrounding the World Trade
Organization, this is an ideal time for us as religious and non-
governmental organizations to come together and show support for the
people of Cuba, especially the most vulnerable," Dr. Campbell said.
"As we have been throughout our history, we are particularly
concerned about the the churches in Cuba and will offer our prayers
for them."

-end-
 -0-