From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LWF President says "Augsburg" signals hope as era ends

From FRANK_IMHOFF.parti@ecunet.org
Date 07 Dec 1999 12:15:27

1999 Christmas message

GENEVA, 7 December 1999 (lwi) - In his 1999 Christmas message, the President
of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) Bishop Dr. Christian Krause has singled
out the confirmation of the "Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of
Justification" in Augsburg, Germany, last October as one of the "many good,
hope-inspiring experiences" at the end of this century.

Krause, who is also the Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Brunswick, Germany notes that the process leading up to Augsburg not only
focuses on the year 2000 but also on the challenges that the LWF is faced with
together and in dialogue with its sister churches all over the world.

Below is the full text of the message from the LWF President:

Christmas Message of the President of the Lutheran World Federation,
Bishop Dr. Christian Krause

It is the last Christmas of this century and the first one in the
ecclesiastical year 2000 in the Christian era. Anno domini - in the year of
the Lord - this is the phrase our ancestors used to relate day and hour,
months and years of their lives to Christ. Every year thus became a year of
Christ. Today the world has become larger, or at least we have become aware of
its size. We have also become aware of other systems of reckoning dates as
well as other religions. Other outlooks on life try to win us over. But what
we have in common is the longing for meaning and a feeling of safety in
today's torn-up reality.

Fears about the future are increasing. The great plights of many peoples weigh
on us and increase the feeling of utter hopelessness for our world. In this
respect, the past year has not made a difference. And we personally also
experience such suffering and guilt. Yet, behind all the darkness and utter
silence, hope lies in the knowledge that the old message may be valid: "The
people who walked in darkness have seen a great light" (Isaiah 9). And as it
was to the shepherds so it is also announced to us:

"Do not be afraid; for see - I am bringing you good news of great joy for all
the people: to you is born this day ...a Savior". (Luke 2, 10f.)

Christians all over the world want to and ought to let themselves be told and
proclaim to others once more this year what is valid, if only we let it be
valid: God himself is on the way to meet us, to help us with his love that he
extends to everyone. Such is his justice: helping love for all - without
discrimination. And this is not taking place somewhere up in the clouds, but
right here amongst us - and even in the darkest corners.

As a global Lutheran community we can look back on many good, hope-inspiring
experiences. The Lutheran World Federation since its founding has been and
still is a communion and an organization offering help and a home, support and
a future to countless people. A big thank you to all those who as staff of the
LWF continue this work at present, for their service and their dedication. At
the same time, I would like to extend this thank you to the congregations and
the leadership of our member churches. I am well aware of the difficulty
involved frequently in trying to keep focussed on the direction and the aim of
our activities, when, on a daily basis, alarming news show the extent of the
crises and our limitations. But we are sisters and brothers and can open each
other's eyes also to the good experiences of God's grace and mercy.

For me, this includes the time in Augsburg and our new shared witness in the
basic truths of our faith. This is a sign of hope at the end of this century.
The path that led us to Augsburg has shown how precious our community and our
solidarity are. It points toward the year 2000 and to the challenges we are
faced with together and in dialogue with our sister churches everywhere in the
world. In the large global families of Christianity, we will jointly set out
on the search for ways of reconciliation, of peace and of sharing the goods of
God's one creation. We will not be doing this in vain. For the Watchword 2000
expresses what lasts and holds even when times are changing:

"If you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the LORD"
(Jeremiah 29, 13-14).

Our lives are sheltered in God - every hour of every day, every month of every
year anno domini. So we endure the night and take every new morning gratefully
from God's hand.

I wish you a happy Christmas season and a blessed New Year!

Yours,
Bishop Dr. Christian Krause

*       *       *

(The LWF is a global communion of 128 member churches in 70 countries
representing 58 million of the world's 61.5 million Lutherans. Its highest
decision making body is the Assembly, held every six or seven years. Between
Assemblies, the LWF is governed by a 49-member Council which meets annually,
and its Executive Committee.)

[Lutheran World Information is the information service of the Lutheran World
Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted, material presented does not
represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the
dateline of an article contains the notation (lwi), the material may be freely
reproduced with acknowledgment.]

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Assistant Editor (English): Pauline Mumia
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 798.86.16
E-mail:pmu@lutheranworld.org
http://www.lutheranworld.org/