From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

As Trade Talks Break Down, Religious Leaders Issue Statement

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 08 Dec 1999 20:02:23

8-December-1999
99408

    As Trade Talks Break Down, Religious Leaders Issue Statement

    Violence deplored but concerns for workers, environment affirmed

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Religious leaders in the state of Washington issued a
statement Dec. 3 deploring the violence that marred demonstrations in
Seattle during the recent World Trade Organization (WTO) meeting but
praising a vast coalition of non-violent groups that advocated for greater
attention to environmental concerns, working conditions of laborers around
the world and human rights.

    The WTO talks collapsed under the weight of demands by President Bill
Clinton, among others, that further trade agreements incorporate the
concerns expressed by many of the protesters.

    A large number of religious, environmental, labor and other
humanitarian groups participated in forums for non-governmental agencies
that went to Seattle as part of the broad-based talks on trade expansion
under WTO auspices.  The Rev. William Somplatsky-Jarman, associate for
environmental concerns and mission responsibility through investment in the
National Ministries Division, represented the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
at the talks.

    The religious leaders' statement, issued by the Rev. Thomas Quigley,
president-director of the Church Council of Greater Seattle, and the Rev.
John Boonstra, executive minister of the Washington Association of
Churches:

                  A Joint Statement from Religious Leaders
             of the Jewish and Christian Communities of Seattle

    "Tonight begins the Chanukah festival of dedication and light, one of
the first struggles for liberation recorded in history.  We are part of a
worldwide history of liberation.  Tonight we travel from the circle of
protest into the time of dedication, to carrying on this struggle
throughout our communities, our workplaces, our towns and countries.

    "We have been brought together by many, many issues, and by one cause:
to stop the course of the WTO.  Think about what has been united here this
week:  labor issues, third world women, trade unionism, ecology of forests,
stopping GMO's, farms and farmers, debt cancellation, environmental
protection, cultural diversity, rights of indigenous peoples, public
health, and the commodification of our lives.  One big movement!  One
struggle for freedom!

    "We call for a halt to new trade negotiations until the member
countries of the WTO agree to give priority to accountability, human
rights, ecology, and sustainable development, over trade liberalization and
privatization.

    "We are here in solidarity.  "Don't stand on your neighbor's blood,"
(Leviticus 19) we are commanded.  We are here to affirm the sanctity of
life:  the sanctity of earth, the sanctity of all her species, the sanctity
of each culture, and the sanctity of each person and our human connections.
We are joined together from all religious traditions, ethnicities, race and
class, across countries, hemispheres, transcending all divisions in common
sister- and brotherhood.

    "Tens of thousands of people demonstrated, and millions have become
enlightened, about the World Trade Organization and its devastating impact
on working families, the environment and human rights.  Throughout this
week the groups that were peacefully protesting have found common purpose
and now are inextricably linked.

    "We affirm the solidarity of the religious community with all the
non-violent protesters who have kept the focus on these issues.  We deplore
the violence that has occurred this week and rededicate ourselves to
confronting it.  We have witnessed the birth of a movement across the
world.  We dedicate ourselves to continue raising our voices.

    "Let us honor protest as an act of love and compassion.  Let us
celebrate every one here who has moved us forward this week.  The struggle
to repair our world, to improve the condition of human beings, to care for
all of life, will continue and grow.

    "We proclaim our commitment to Jubilee, a Jubilee of linking arms and
breaking chains.  A Jubilee of release from control, release from debt,
release from oppression.  A Jubilee of release to liberty, to respect for
the earth, to caring and compassion.  We read in scripture, "You must
proclaim freedom to the whole earth, to all her inhabitants."  (Leviticus
25)  May the God of history, the source of blessing, give strength to this
word, to transform the hearts of all people."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org